PDA

View Full Version : Simple newsfeed (?) app help

parkm13
Feb 26, 2012, 09:19 AM
i am just starting to learn about coding, so any help would be great! i have a website (staying-social.com). what it does is take all the events happing in my area and put them into one site. i would like to make an iphone app for this and just need some help with where to start. i would like it to update with all the new events added to the site. is there a way to do this? thanks for any help!

OverByThere
Feb 26, 2012, 10:13 AM
Hi parkm13.

What you will want to build is an RSS feed app, there is a myriad of resources out there on the web to create a simple RSS app in Xcode, I suggest you have a google around and see what is available to suit your needs.

On another note, make sure that your website does give out a RSS feed, if it doesn't have a Google round for a PHP RSS creator.

Hope this helps!

parkm13
Feb 26, 2012, 06:33 PM
Hi parkm13.

What you will want to build is an RSS feed app, there is a myriad of resources out there on the web to create a simple RSS app in Xcode, I suggest you have a google around and see what is available to suit your needs.

On another note, make sure that your website does give out a RSS feed, if it doesn't have a Google round for a PHP RSS creator.

Hope this helps!

thanks i will look into that! did you take a look at the site? because im not sure if an RSS feed would work for this site

OverByThere
Feb 26, 2012, 07:03 PM
thanks i will look into that! did you take a look at the site? because im not sure if an RSS feed would work for this site

Hi there,

From looking at the site it does not provide a standard RSS feed as most news sites do..

If you don't think that an RSS feed would suit your needs maybe you want to try a different angle :)

parkm13
Feb 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
thats what i was afraid of, any idea on a way to make it work? and how did the site look? any suggestions on it?

dejo
Feb 27, 2012, 09:22 AM
You should look into something called web services (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_service). Then, you'll need to set up some services server-side for your iPhone app to consume.

parkm13
Feb 27, 2012, 04:35 PM
You should look into something called web services (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_service). Then, you'll need to set up some services server-side for your iPhone app to consume.

ok i will take a look. do you think this is something a beginner could do?

dejo
Feb 27, 2012, 04:46 PM
do you think this is something a beginner could do?

Probably not. You should probably concentrate on learning the fundamentals first. Speaking of which, are you new to any kind of programming? How are you planning on educating yourself about the basics?

parkm13
Feb 27, 2012, 09:26 PM
i am new to everything. i have a book and a friend that knows basic coding. whats the best way to learn?

dejo
Feb 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
i have a book...

What book? We ask that if you reference external resources, please be courteous to others and provide as much information about that resource as necessary. So, for a book, please provide us the title, author, and edition, at least. If it's an online tutorial, a link to said tutorial. And so on...

whats the best way to learn?

Everybody learns somewhat differently. You should think about what approach has helped you to learn technical subjects in the past and probably apply those to learning programming. For some people, that's tutorial-style books. For others, online videos. And so on...

Since you're new to programming, you should probably stick to the basics of just programming concepts themselves for now and avoid the temptation to jump into iOS programming right away. Learn about variables, execution-flow, conditionals, etc. first.

Be sure to visit the Guides and the Stickies at the top of this very forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135). And a quick search in this forum will (hopefully) find you plenty of threads where we discuss how to get started in programming.