Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
I have a video in AVCHD (1080i60) of a model airplane test flight, and a bunch of test data in a text file (csv) recorded at 10Hz. Is there an easy way I can use FCP or similar to have the data be displayed on top of the the video?

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
If you can transfer your text to rtf***, you can import it into Motion. Add a Scroll Behavior and fool around with timing, and you should be good to go.

***dunno if Motion can take cvs - give it a try.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
You might be able to use one or more subtitle tracks, or perhaps other image overlays combined into a green screen movie that you could merge with the flight movie. Just ideas, can't say I've done this. Either way, you'd have to consume or convert that AVCHD file to something workable.

Half the problem I see is getting your data out of the csv file an into a format you can manipulate into a movie. QuickTime allows for more than just the video and audio tracks. I've added something before but can't remember the details. It wasn't something with such a high frequency of change. If I remember the details and terminology I come back to this thread.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I have a video in AVCHD (1080i60) of a model airplane test flight, and a bunch of test data in a text file (csv) recorded at 10Hz. Is there an easy way I can use FCP or similar to have the data be displayed on top of the the video?
Do you want to display the data as text or as some sort of chart?

LoneWolf121188

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Longmont, CO
Do you want to display the data as text or as some sort of chart?
I think either would be fine. In some cases I'd like to know specific numbers, such as what speed the plane was flying at when the wheels left the ground. In other cases, like the accelerometer (g-force sensor) data, I'd rather see general trends.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a shot. I can export the data pretty much any way I want, so that's handy.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I use an app called Harry's LapTimer Pro on my iPhone to gather similar info when racing. The app can overlay the info onto video shot with the iPhone. I found that I was also able to import video shot from other cameras (like my GoPro HD) and have it apply the overlay, as the info is stored in a text file, similar to your scenario. Upon digging further, I found a program called DashWare; I believe it's Windows only, so you may need to run it in a VM or on a windows box, but it may get you what you need:

http://www.dashware.net/

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
I use an app called Harry's LapTimer Pro on my iPhone to gather similar info when racing. The app can overlay the info onto video shot with the iPhone. I found that I was also able to import video shot from other cameras (like my GoPro HD) and have it apply the overlay, as the info is stored in a text file, similar to your scenario. Upon digging further, I found a program called DashWare; I believe it's Windows only, so you may need to run it in a VM or on a windows box, but it may get you what you need:

http://www.dashware.net/

Thank you for this as well! I happened across this thread with a similar problem.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
No problem; glad to help! I'd like to check out the video when you finish it; sounds cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.