Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

28Fiend

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
I'm basically new to the FX world, picked up a D700 with 800 actuations. Looking to put together a descent gear bag, though I only have enough money left over for one or two lenses depending on the lens. Trying to decide between:

24-70mm
24mm (maybe)
50mm
85mm
Possibly the 17-35mm with a 50mm

I've been reading quite a bit and there are quite a few people that see the 24-70 as good as any prime. Just trying to weigh whether two or three primes would be considered equal with the 24-70? Obviously the 24-70 would be more versitile. Any thoughts, advice, or ideas are greatly appriciated.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I use this set-up:

24mm
35mm
50mm
85mm
135mm

35 & 85 are my lenses of choice. I take the 50 with me too but not as much as the 35 & 85 combo.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm basically new to the FX world, picked up a D700 with 800 actuations. Looking to put together a descent gear bag, though I only have enough money left over for one or two lenses depending on the lens. Trying to decide between:

24-70mm
24mm (maybe)
50mm
85mm
Possibly the 17-35mm with a 50mm

I've been reading quite a bit and there are quite a few people that see the 24-70 as good as any prime. Just trying to weigh whether two or three primes would be considered equal with the 24-70? Obviously the 24-70 would be more versitile. Any thoughts, advice, or ideas are greatly appriciated.

I have yet to talk to anyone who's disappointed with the 24-70- the real question is "Is it overkill?" I'm not a fan of the 24mm f/2,8 prime. If you're going faster than 2.8, then it depends on what and when you shoot- if not then personally, I'd go with the 24-70. If you shoot a lot at 24mm, then there's some distortion and CA-- but both are software correctable quite easily.

Paul

28Fiend

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
What will you primarily be shooting? And do you currently have any other Nikon lenses that are full frame?

Since I've made the jump, most of my lenses are dx. Though I do have the 70-300 VR which is full frame. I'm just trying to decide what gives me the best range considering the price.

I haven't really been bias towards prime or zoom. For me they both serve a purpose, though if the 24-70 is just as sharp as primes it would seem like the best option. However it wouldn't be wide like my Tokina 11-16.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
I have the 24-70 and i am with compuwar. You would be hard pressed to find a better, sharper and overall more amazing zoom than the 24-70 (70-200 vr2 maybe :)) and i have it on my cam most of the time. I am strongly voting for that. It is the perfect companion lens for the d700..

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I have yet to talk to anyone who's disappointed with the 24-70- the real question is "Is it overkill?" I'm not a fan of the 24mm f/2,8 prime. If you're going faster than 2.8, then it depends on what and when you shoot- if not then personally, I'd go with the 24-70. If you shoot a lot at 24mm, then there's some distortion and CA-- but both are software correctable quite easily.

Paul

I have to agree with compuwar. I have the Nikon trinity (14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, all f2.8) I LOVE my 24-700mm, f2.8. It is my daily go to lens. I have a 50mm prime, as well as a few other zooms, but I always come back to the 24-70mm when I want to head out and shoot. Get it. You won't regret it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Since I've made the jump, most of my lenses are dx. Though I do have the 70-300 VR which is full frame. I'm just trying to decide what gives me the best range considering the price.

I haven't really been bias towards prime or zoom. For me they both serve a purpose, though if the 24-70 is just as sharp as primes it would seem like the best option. However it wouldn't be wide like my Tokina 11-16.
It sounds like the 24-70 might be the best choice for you. Also remember the 11mm on DX is like 16.5mm on FX so while you're losing some wide angle, it may not matter depending on what you shoot. You could always save towards the 14-24 as a third lens.

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
I have to agree with compuwar. I have the Nikon trinity (14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, all f2.8) I LOVE my 24-700mm, f2.8. It is my daily go to lens. I have a 50mm prime, as well as a few other zooms, but I always come back to the 24-70mm when I want to head out and shoot. Get it. You won't regret it.

I would love to see how big that 24-700mm 2.8 is! ;)

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
16-28 - I rarely use this, unless Im shooting snowboarding or live music/bands.
50 - I use this one most of the time. 50mm is great.
60mm Macro - Meh, macro is fun but only gets used a few times a month.
85 - Use this one 2nd most, after the 50. Great for portraits and candid scenes when you need some distance but not too much compression.
135 - I love this lens, but don't use it as often. Its a keeper, but I dont tend to shoot that tele often.

I am thinking of renting a 35L to try that FL out, I have a feeling I would really like it.

mspman

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
What will you primarily be shooting? And do you currently have any other Nikon lenses that are full frame?

I just got the 35mm f/1.4, and I absolutely love it. It's a great lens. I have the 14-24 and the 70-200, but I didn't go for the 24-70 because, in that range, I'd rather shoot fast primes rather than a slightly slower zoom. So I have the 35mm and the 50mm f/1.4. Honestly though, I'm beginning to HATE my 50mm just because of the AF speed (I have the D700 as well), and the vignetting wide open is pretty pronounced. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not.. it all depends.

For fun.. go out and get a used film SLR to use some of those lenses with. I picked up a 15-year old N90s for $70, threw some B&W film in there, and shot with my 35mm lens... You'd be amazed at the difference between film and digital with the same lens. :)

28Fiend

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009

What do you think of the 14-24? I've only ever read about them.

It sounds like the 24-70 might be the best choice for you. Also remember the 11mm on DX is like 16.5mm on FX so while you're losing some wide angle, it may not matter depending on what you shoot. You could always save towards the 14-24 as a third lens.

Very true, I guy I picked up the 700 body from has a newish 24-70 he hardly uses. I've been shopping around since these responses, $1400 a good price? Some similar prices on craigs list.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009

Very true, I guy I picked up the 700 body from has a newish 24-70 he hardly uses. I've been shopping around since these responses, $1400 a good price? Some similar prices on craigs list.

You are absolutely going about this the wrong way. You should not buy a lens because it has a good price/quality/range ratio. You buy a lens because it fits your shooting style.... a question you have yet to answer. What do you shoot the most or what do you like to shoot the most? If you cannot answer this, then maybe you should re-evaluate buying more expensive camera gear. If you can, then the answer to what lens you should get will probably become a lot more obvious.

Every time you see someone who is selling a lens because they don't shoot it very much is likely someone who did exactly what you are thinking of doing- they bought the lens thinking it had a good price/quality/range ratio, but didn't think about how much they actually needed that lens.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000

I LOVE MY 14-24mm !!!!!! Did I mention that I love it? It is insanely sharp but has a drawback or two. A bit heavy. Also, no way to attach screw-on filters. If you can live without that, you will be fine. If you can get one cheap, get it.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Quoted for emphasis.

re-quoted :)..

it depends all on your shooting style. yes the lenses are all good, but will you be limited with your shooting style? I could never shoot purely primes in the 24-70 range since i tend to zoom both my feet and the lens.. but this is a preference thing... figure out what and how you shoot, then buy a lens...

28Fiend

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
You are absolutely going about this the wrong way. You should not buy a lens because it has a good price/quality/range ratio. You buy a lens because it fits your shooting style.... a question you have yet to answer. What do you shoot the most or what do you like to shoot the most? If you cannot answer this, then maybe you should re-evaluate buying more expensive camera gear. If you can, then the answer to what lens you should get will probably become a lot more obvious.

Every time you see someone who is selling a lens because they don't shoot it very much is likely someone who did exactly what you are thinking of doing- they bought the lens thinking it had a good price/quality/range ratio, but didn't think about how much they actually needed that lens.

Great point, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Personally I love primes in the since that it forces me to really think when I'm out shooting, allows me to get into the thick of things so to say. But where I'm at a cross roads is I want to shoot more landscapes, when I'm out an about I've noticed a prime isn't always ideal.

golemB

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
...though if the 24-70 is just as sharp as primes it would seem like the best option. However it wouldn't be wide like my Tokina 11-16.

Hey, the Tokina 11-16 covers FX at about 15-16 mm! (As someone noted, 11 on DX is 16.5 on FX, so this is actually wider than on DX.) It's solid, it takes 77mm filters (but watch for vignetting), it's fast at f/2.8, and it's sharp and cheap.

28Fiend

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Hey, the Tokina 11-16 covers FX at about 15-16 mm! (As someone noted, 11 on DX is 16.5 on FX, so this is actually wider than on DX.) It's solid, it takes 77mm filters (but watch for vignetting), it's fast at f/2.8, and it's sharp and cheap.

True, but a dx lens from my understanding is nothing more than 5mp when used on a full frame body.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY

It's the lens that's on my D300 almost constantly, and it's going to be the same when my D800 is delivered. It's an amazing lens. It's sharp, fast enough -- everything you could want. Except being lightweight, which it's certainly not.

Obviously I like shooting wide. Can't wait for 14 in FX. In my film days, the widest I had was the 20 f/3.5, which I loved.

When the D800 comes, I'll start using my oldish (2003) 85 f/1.4 again -- in DX, it's effectively longer than I like. In my F5 days it was perfect for portraiture.

But I'll say again what others have said -- this should be about your shooting style first, and particular lenses second.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.