Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Ok, I've never really understood what Back To My Mac was and starting looking around. It looks like a feature I'd like to learn more about. I've watch a few videos of it in action and it seems like a really nice feature because I'm always needing to access my iMac at my house but I have to have my wife start up iChat. Back To My Mac appears to be able to let you gain access without having to start up iChat or anything else.

Is there some "how to" videos or instructions, helpful advice to getting, using this feature?

Thanks!

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
Hello Imola Ghost,

What is it exactly you need to know? Back to my Mac is pretty simply to set up and use, although I believe that, with the looming termination of the Mobile Me service, you would have to use Apple's new iCloud service on OS X Lion. If you can confirm what version of the Mac OS X operating system you're using (Lion or otherwise), I'd be happy to explain the very simple process of setting up and using Back to my Mac.

One thing to bear in mind is that whatever computer you're planning to use to access your iMac with Back to my Mac would also need to be a Mac.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Hello Imola Ghost,

What is it exactly you need to know? Back to my Mac is pretty simply to set up and use, although I believe that, with the looming termination of the Mobile Me service, you would have to use Apple's new iCloud service on OS X Lion. If you can confirm what version of the Mac OS X operating system you're using (Lion or otherwise), I'd be happy to explain the very simple process of setting up and using Back to my Mac.

One thing to bear in mind is that whatever computer you're planning to use to access your iMac with Back to my Mac would also need to be a Mac.

Thanks and I got it! It was actually VERY easy and simple. I was on MobileMe but the iCloud on both computers I supposed did all the work/settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.