Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

auhagen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Denmark
Am I the only one who really wants a new mac mini design?

No doubt the current ones are attractive, but i really need one that can house 2 x 3,5" disks, as they have way more storage, and a hell of a lot cheaper than 2,5" disks. I dont care about SSD's in my server, but i would love switch my current Qnap TS-212 w. 2x2 TB disks in it, with a Mac server with the same specifications in terms of disks.

I dont see this comming though, what are your thoughts about my "request" ?

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
I wouldn't mind a move back to the older 2009 chassis style, with an external brick, and get rid of the slot for the missing OD.

Would get rid of the heat of the PSU, and with me is tucked away under the desk out of sight anyway, so isn't anymore unsightly on my desktop in view then the power cable that connects in now anyway.

Should also present enough allowance to put the GPU and Quad i7 into the chassis along with the disks, whilst still retaining a reasonably small footprint on the desk.

auhagen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Denmark
I wouldn't mind a move back to the older 2009 chassis style, with an external brick, and get rid of the slot for the missing OD.

Would get rid of the heat of the PSU, and with me is tucked away under the desk out of sight anyway, so isn't anymore unsightly on my desktop in view then the power cable that connects in now anyway.

Should also present enough allowance to put the GPU and Quad i7 into the chassis along with the disks, whilst still retaining a reasonably small footprint on the desk.

I really like your idea, except the one with the external psu. I love that it's been build in the chasis instead of that brick on the floor :)

The Cpu and Gpu would be fine by me, but all i really want is 2 x 3.5" slots.
I dont care if the machine is with a C2D, that suits my needs perfect, all I'm missing is storage :(

I have thought about buying the curent, and put a thunderbolt disk to it, but that will be way to expensive :(

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
The lack of space is one of my main issues with the Mini. It fits my student budget and has enough raw power to get me through my video production classes but unfortunately it uses those dinky laptop HDs. I believe only the Scorpio Black and Momentus XT are the only 750GB 7200 drives at the moment.

No I personally wouldn't mind going back to the old Mini form factor if they can squeeze more power or at LEAST one 3.5 drive in there. Keep the external brick, get a better GPU, and we're set.

Thunderbolt sorta alievates the capacity issue with a bit a jerry rigging:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MESATATBEK/
and
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technology/ECHOE34/, but thats still an additional 200 or so dollars.

auhagen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Denmark
The lack of space is one of my main issues with the Mini. It fits my student budget and has enough raw power to get me through my video production classes but unfortunately it uses those dinky laptop HDs. I believe only the Scorpio Black and Momentus XT are the only 750GB 7200 drives at the moment.

No I personally wouldn't mind going back to the old Mini form factor if they can squeeze more power or at LEAST one 3.5 drive in there. Keep the external brick, get a better GPU, and we're set.

Thunderbolt sorta alievates the capacity issue with a bit a jerry rigging:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MESATATBEK/
and
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonnet%20Technology/ECHOE34/, but thats still an additional 200 or so dollars.

I really like the last part the Echo thing.

But the problem with those solutions is as you point out more money, and if you ask me, it's a lot more ugly, instead of just having a mini as a complete unit all in one.

Please Apple hear my wish ! :D

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
External drives and a Mac mini server. These pictures say it all. :(
picture.php

picture.php

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Heck, I'd like either two 2.5" drives or one 3.5" drive plus a MacBook Air-style SSD stick.

That would be a good differentiation to me if they stick with 2.5" drives: Low end with integrated graphics and one hard drive; high-end "desktop" with discrete graphics, one hard drive, and the option for a second drive; server with integrated graphics, two hard drives and an SSD stick - where the SSD stick 'takes the place' of the discrete graphics. Maybe not the same literal physical position, but the heat-budget position.

auhagen

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Denmark
@Talmy

Thats a hell of a lot wires :(
I actually dont think my closet with my network gear in is a any different, but if i had to have a mini setup like that, I would scream!

But it's nice to see not all are holding back on their "dream" server :)

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
I wouldn't mind if Apple or even a 3rd party made an external TB enclosure that matched the style of the mini but could hold 2 more disks. Even if it was taller but with the same aluminum look and width/length, it could be stacked. Maybe even throw in a few expansion ports as well.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I wouldn't mind if Apple or even a 3rd party made an external TB enclosure that matched the style of the mini but could hold 2 more disks. Even if it was taller but with the same aluminum look and width/length, it could be stacked. Maybe even throw in a few expansion ports as well.

As long as it had a Thunderbolt or at least MiniDP out I'd be fine.

qeemat.com

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
mac mini

The latest version of the Mac mini, officially called the Mac mini (Mid 2011) and released along with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), sticks with last year’s design, but it gets a price cut while overhauling what’s inside. Though the iMac is clearly Apple's flagship desktop, the 2011 Mac mini is quintessential Apple: beautiful, well-engineered, forward-looking, and powerful enough for most, with at least one design decision that will leave some people wondering, "Why?" Which is to say that, like most Apple products, the new mini is compelling, but it won't appeal to everyone.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
The latest version of the Mac mini, officially called the Mac mini (Mid 2011) and released along with Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), sticks with last year’s design, but it gets a price cut while overhauling what’s inside. Though the iMac is clearly Apple's flagship desktop, the 2011 Mac mini is quintessential Apple: beautiful, well-engineered, forward-looking, and powerful enough for most, with at least one design decision that will leave some people wondering, "Why?" Which is to say that, like most Apple products, the new mini is compelling, but it won't appeal to everyone.

When purchasing the Mac mini server for use as a server, it leaves me with many "Why?" questions, mainly because it isn't optimized for server use at all! HDMI and for that matter dual monitor support is crazy and with shared memory, too much is dedicated to the display. Likewise the Bluetooth, IR, Wifi, and SD card support could go. What to do with the freed space? While Thunderbolt offers potential I'd be happy just to have two FW800 ports and perhaps a second ethernet port. I'd sure like to see it bigger and take 3.5" drives.

You can see from the picture above that the system sits on a shelf. It is managed remotely using Screen Sharing. I only connect up a keyboard mouse and display during setup. And the lack of drive capacity is obvious!

I tried to get the maximum throughput possible by setting up the two internals as RAID0 (only to have a drive fail recently), and having externals both FW800 and USB because spreading out across the two interfaces was faster than FW800 alone. I certainly expect that when accessing large files on multiple systems (such as video footage) I'm maxing out the Gigabit Ethernet at this point. It is amazing what that little box will do, and I've got the first model of mini with Snow Leopard Server, not the latest quad-cores with 7200rpm drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.