Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
The title says it all.
I'm looking for an icon to use in place of the drab HD icon on my desktop.
Any and all links or pointers would be appreciated as up till now I've found nothing suitable.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I'd like to thank everyone for the information, now that I've got a good icon I'm having a problem installing it.
When I drop it on the HD icon in a Get-Info window it wants to show up as a generic 'icns' file instead of the desired G5 picture.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 78

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I'd like to thank everyone for the information, now that I've got a good icon I'm having a problem installing it.
When I drop it on the HD icon in a Get-Info window it wants to show up as a generic 'icns' file instead of the desired G5 picture.

To get over that problem, I use Icns2Icon

Just drag the icon to the dock icon for Icns2Icon & Boom! Awesome and underrated app IMO

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for the link, but as I mentioned in my previous post, following those instructions is exactly what I did but the results were still a generic icon.

I didn't knew, you used the exact same instructions. They do work for me in 10.6.8. Did you make sure to open the ICNS or PNG file in Preview and clicked on it and then pressed CMD+A and then CMD+C? I just tested it with an ICNS file and I had no problems.

If that doesn't work, take a look at Goftrey's solution.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Problem solved :D
Goftrey's solution works like a charm, thanks everyone for the assistance.

While I am glad you solved your problem, I would still like to know, what file format you used (maybe link) and if you followed the steps in my guide to the t, and which Mac OS X version you used.
It is just out of curiosity and maybe to adjust my guide appropriately.

Thanks in advance.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
While I am glad you solved your problem, I would still like to know, what file format you used (maybe link) and if you followed the steps in my guide to the t, and which Mac OS X version you used.
It is just out of curiosity and maybe to adjust my guide appropriately.

Thanks in advance.
I think your guide is probably very workable.
In actual fact I originally missed the cmd+A while copying in Preview, once I corrected my sequence both your system and Goftrey's work identically.
I would suspect that 'icns2icon' is a wrapper for the keystroke sequence you posted.
Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.