PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Puts Dozens of Graphic Novels on iBookstore

MacRumors
Feb 28, 2012, 04:29 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/28/marvel-puts-dozens-of-graphic-novels-on-ibookstore/)

Marvel has made more than 80 of its graphic novels available on the iBookstore (http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/02/28/marvel-graphic-novels-available-on-apples-ibookstore/) [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewFeature?id=503283519&mt=11&s=143441)]. Titles include novels from the Avengers, Captain America, Hulk, Spider-Man, X-Men, and more.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/02/marvelgraphicnovels.jpg

"Marvel is taking the world of comics by storm and releasing a massive selection of our best and brightest graphic novels on the iBookstore," said Peter Phillips, Senior Vice President & General Manager, Marvel Digital Media Group. "For the first time ever, fans will be able to easily find and enjoy all of their favorite heroes including The Avengers, Spider-Man and The X-Men on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch -- one of the best digital platforms for reading comics and graphic novels."Marvel is offering one title, The New Avengers #1 (http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-new-avengers-1/id504637379?mt=11), for free.

Other titles range in price from $6.99 to $24.99 [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewFeature?id=503283519&mt=11&s=143441)]. Marvel's iBooks are readable on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch.

Article Link: Marvel Puts Dozens of Graphic Novels on iBookstore (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/28/marvel-puts-dozens-of-graphic-novels-on-ibookstore/)

JUiCEJamie
Feb 28, 2012, 04:34 PM
Kickass!! The Marvel app is great, but embedded in iBooks? Even better!

macmastersam
Feb 28, 2012, 04:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is great. My guess it is going to widen the age audience for books for the iBookstore. Considering marvel material is aimed at younger ones and most of the iBooks on there are more for adults. I reckon apple can make a lot from this seeing that there a lot of kids around who use an iPad

Cynicalone
Feb 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
Not really Comixology quality. These appear to be pdf files and nothing more.

Apple could/should sign a deal with Comixology if they want to bring comics into iBooks.

al-c
Feb 28, 2012, 04:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

First thought...very cool. After downloading and giving it a try on a 4S, not so much. Very slow and barely legible text. Can see this working nicely on a retina display iPad though...

rick98761
Feb 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

So I take it these are just as bad as the walking dead books on iBooks? Seems like the dedicated apps are still the way to go. I see walking dead actually has a newsstand edition of its app. That's a pretty neat idea. Would get kind of cluttered with several comics though.

Carl Sagan
Feb 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
Great stuff!

rick98761
Feb 28, 2012, 05:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is great. My guess it is going to widen the age audience for books for the iBookstore. Considering marvel material is aimed at younger ones and most of the iBooks on there are more for adults. I reckon apple can make a lot from this seeing that there a lot of kids around who use an iPad

I bet you would be very surprised by the average comic book reader age.

SBlue1
Feb 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
wow, would look great on a retina ipad 3

Gemütlichkeit
Feb 28, 2012, 06:19 PM

Apple could/should sign a deal with Comixology if they want to bring comics into iBooks.

Agreed, there needs to be a higher standard for these subscriptions than just PDF scans. Cell to cell navigation or something more intuitive.

nagromme
Feb 28, 2012, 06:38 PM
Navigation is indeed very basic—this is like a traditional comic book installed on iPad, nothing more. But it’s still convenient compared to dead-tree editions, and you can at least pinch-zoom and pan around. Also, the iBooks page-turn finger motion feels really nice on graphical pages! I’ve never run across that before, only with text.

And the art does seem to be about double-resolution—you can zoom about 200% in portrait and not see significant pixels/blurring/artifacts. So this kind of title should look great on a retina iPad.

macrumorsuser10
Feb 28, 2012, 07:30 PM
Are these truly graphic novels (e.g. the content from 200+ page trade paperbacks) or individual comic issues (usually about 20-30 pages)?

jonnysods
Feb 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

This will be killer!

jayhawk11
Feb 28, 2012, 11:49 PM
Are these truly graphic novels (e.g. the content from 200+ page trade paperbacks) or individual comic issues (usually about 20-30 pages)?

A little of both. The more expensive ones are full blown graphic novels.

Heb 7:4
Feb 29, 2012, 05:20 AM

Nothing compares to Comicreadermobi. Disgusting that apple banned it from the app store (for the temerity of keeping USB transfer function)

Best comic reader by a mile and to be honest the only reason I jailbreak anymore.

foodog
Feb 29, 2012, 05:49 AM
Nerds rejoice!

starbird
Feb 29, 2012, 06:27 AM

A little of both. The more expensive ones are full blown graphic novels.

Exactly. The free one is 120 pages. So that is what? 3-5 issues gathered?

Nielsenius
Feb 29, 2012, 07:18 AM
Wow, this is neat! Maybe this is a good reason to get an iPad 3 in a couple of weeks...

guzhogi
Feb 29, 2012, 07:39 AM

It would be cool if the comics were like the Beatles Yellow Submarine book with the animations, sounds, etc.

smrtcar
Feb 29, 2012, 08:08 AM

I would be hard pressed to hand over money that doesn't have added value over what already exists. This simply represents reading licensed content rather than existing CBR/PDF files in their appropriate readers. As soon as the "frame-by-frame" Comixology technique is applied, I will open my wallet.:p

Buckeyestar
Feb 29, 2012, 08:14 AM

Exactly. The free one is 120 pages. So that is what? 3-5 issues gathered?

No, the free one is a 30 or so page single issue.

skellener
Feb 29, 2012, 10:44 AM
Comixology offers a very compelling experience. Something Apple prides itself on. The only thing I could imagine iBooks offering to one up Comixology would be super high-res art for the new iPad 3. From the sounds of things, it ain't happening. Not at this point anyway. Stick with Comixology. Read your comics on other platforms and well as Apple ones with a fantastic user experience (Guided View). They did it right.

rhett7660
Feb 29, 2012, 01:31 PM
Comixology offers a very compelling experience. Something Apple prides itself on. The only thing I could imagine iBooks offering to one up Comixology would be super high-res art for the new iPad 3. From the sounds of things, it ain't happening. Not at this point anyway. Stick with Comixology. Read your comics on other platforms and well as Apple ones with a fantastic user experience (Guided View). They did it right.

I couldn't have said it better. If it is nothing more then a PDF version, they dropped the ball.

I still by the dead tree versions but I prefer to read them all on my iPad or my MBP. Something about having them all with me where ever I go is what I like the most!!!!

macrumorsuser10
Feb 29, 2012, 01:32 PM

To answer my own question, Marvel has published a bunch of true graphic novels -- digital versions of their trade paperbacks, including very well-known titles such as "Marvel 1602", "Infinity Gauntlet", "Earth X", "Secret Wars", etc. Not bad for a start. It's still missing the X-men Phoenix arc, though. Marvel's website has a longer list (http://marvel.com/news/story/18188/marvel_digital_graphic_novels_now_available_on_apples_ibookstore).

One thing I've found is that page turning and general responsiveness while reading these graphics novels is very slow. Regular books in the iBooks app is quite brisk. I'm guessing it's the extremely high-resolution graphics. I find the readability is much better then in Comixology, where I sometimes have to struggle to read text in the comics. The resolution and detail of the Marvel iBooks is great.

RLRabb
Feb 29, 2012, 01:48 PM
I have a question that is a little off-topic, but related enough that I'm asking it here.
Assuming the new iPad 3 does add a new Retina display, how will that impact viewing the comic files that are currently available on Comixology? Are those files hi-res enough to look good at that resolution, either in full page mode or when using Comixology's Guided View technology?
Any thoughts?

Snowshiro
Feb 29, 2012, 07:20 PM
The big comic makers seem to be floundering around, completely unable to figure out how to sell stuff to their customers. It's taken a 3rd party (comiXology) to build the industry. Comics on the iPad 3 are the killer app for me. I've been holding off buying an iPad 2 in anticipation of what the retina display could do for the medium that I love. Right now, I spend more per month on guided-view iPhone comics than apps, music and movies combined.

The huge screw up on Marvel's part is that they've so far failed to get their Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited service (monthly subscription for on-demand access to their whole comics library) onto the iPad. There simply isn't a better platform for it, and yet they've been saying "we're looking into it" pretty much since the day it launched. I'm pretty sure this is probably something to do with Apple's terms about stuff sold outside the app store and conflicts with how Marvel wants to do business.

I think both Apple and Marvel (and other comic book makers) are missing a potential new market by not working together on this. Right now the MDCU service is $4.99 a month if you pay for a year in advance. Damn, I'd pay 2 or 3 times that to get an unlimited supply of high quality comics to read where and when I want. There are customers simply begging to hand over money for this.

The companies behind this need to wake up and get organized. And Apple needs to properly realize that the iPad isn't just an e-reader, or a textbook tablet. The iPad 3 with a retina display is potentially the most beautiful comic reading device I can imagine. It needs to get the support from the industry that it deserves.

scoobydoo99
Mar 1, 2012, 10:43 AM

First thought...very cool. After downloading and giving it a try on a 4S, not so much. Very slow and barely legible text. Can see this working nicely on a retina display iPad though...

Why a Retina display iPad??? It looks fantastic on the iPad2.

velocityg4
Mar 1, 2012, 03:25 PM
I'm curious if this really interests comic book readers. I thought a big part of the experience was to own rare editions and keep them in plastic bags. No one will ever pay $30,000 for an iBooks copy. I suppose this would interest readers that just pitch it when they finish the book.

I never got too interested in comic books. I liked the ones from the 70's and before but the new ones available when I was a kid I did not like. Even with the few old ones I liked I only went for X-Men and Superman. Although I have a few other random ones.

I didn't even realize until years later that comic books where written in series with a beginning and an end. I just thought they continued on month after month like a soap opera. As I rarely got books in a sequence and never a full series. As I only liked the older ones I only got to read disparate books out of sequence from finds at the swap meet, garage sales and the comic book store. Plus older comic books were expensive for a kid.

Snowshiro
Mar 1, 2012, 08:57 PM
I'm curious if this really interests comic book readers. I thought a big part of the experience was to own rare editions and keep them in plastic bags. No one will ever pay $30,000 for an iBooks copy.

As a serious comic book reader, and an active member of the comic book community, yes it does. Believe me, there is plenty of demand if the price is right. Comic book collectors are a subset of comic book readers. A few years ago, I'd probably have been in the paper only club, but now, the opportunity to access a wealth of unread stories and comics I wasn't able to see first time around fills me with excitement I haven't had since I first got into the medium.

Your point about the value of paper is entirely valid though. One of the problems with digital right now is that prices just are way out of whack. A same day issue of, for example a DC New 52 costs $3.99 whether its print or digital which just doesn't make sense. With a paper copy you can resell it a few days later, usually for 50% or more of its cover value. Or you can simply seal it in plastic and wait a few years for the price to go up. Add to that the print and distribution costs and the cut taken by the comic book store, and it just doesn't make sense that the digital copy should be the same price. What DC is doing is trying to protect the paper market, by forcing people to pay unrealistic prices for digital. I can understand their reasons, but this is exactly why digital needs to be treated differently, with more of a focus on say subscription based archive access rather than all the focus being on same day print/digital publishing.

I'm not claiming to speak for comic book readers as a whole - there are plenty of diverse opinions around, but to me this is the most sensible way for things to be handled at least for now.

japanime
Mar 4, 2012, 05:31 PM
It would be cool if the comics were like the Beatles Yellow Submarine book with the animations, sounds, etc.

My company has been working on formatting our graphic novels (we produce educational manga) for the iBooks store using the fixed-layout format, which is what The Yellow Submarine book uses. It's a significant undertaking, though, and thus far we have only completed two of the 30 books we hope to do this with.

It's good to see Marvel's content added to the store, though. Hopefully that will drive even more comics fans to iBooks — and that they will discover our books there, too :-)

Most of all, I'm happy that Apple has finally added a "Graphic Novels" category to the store's searchable categories.