Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincent.m

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Calgary
I know this isn't in the right area, but what incentives are there for us to post replies on other peoples threads? The benefit of getting to ask our questions to half a million Apple users is obvious, but what is the benefit of answering other peoples question?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Well thats the obvious answer, but does anything change for you on the site if you help more people? I guess what I'm asking is what stops freeloaders from taking advantage?

Your ranking reflects your post count. However, if you are here long enough, you get a sense of community with other long term active posters.

Also, after posting some, you get access to the marketplace and the politics forum

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
A lot of times, if someone encounters a problem relating to their Mac or OS X/iOS, they can Google search the problem and an old thread from MacRumors answers the question. When people contribute it helps more people than are just on this site.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Found this site through googling a mac-related question, question was solved, so decided to contribute.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
Reasons to be on Macrumors:
- Help others out
- Get your questions answered
- Learn new things you didn't know
- Blow off some steam by trolling for a bit ;)

TheWalrus

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
For me this question sums up society today. Does there have to be a pay back for helping other people?

Don't give to receive, just give!

vincent.m

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Calgary
For me this question sums up society today. Does there have to be a pay back for helping other people?

Don't give to receive, just give!

Thats exactly what was stumping me. Nobody ever does anything just to help others. Glad to know there are still some out there.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
For me I've always found this site to be helpful wether I'm in trouble or after advice and to give it !

As a user to user forum this is way better than some out there.

Spam is kept to a minimum so a big thanks to the mod's.

I've never been on timeout but have received a message for putting a reply in a thread as "+1, I agree" and for mentioning doing a google search and not putting in links ! Strange tellings off but there you go .... Lol.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Is'nt the reward to be able to discuss (either agree/argue or other) all things Apple with like minded people enough?

jesslla

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
Because it's fun! Participating in a community is always worthwhile. Some of my best friends have been made through various forums I've been active on over the years.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
I post and reply because I like being a part of this community. I like helping others with any advice that I can give on apple products. This community allows me to meet new like minded people.

This community has become a GREAT resource for those who are researching problems related with there apple products.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thats exactly what was stumping me. Nobody ever does anything just to help others. Glad to know there are still some out there.
Yes, there are quite a few helpful folks here. There's no reward, other than knowing you've been able to contribute something helpful to others. Of course, you also learn new things during the process of solving problems for others.
I'm looking for hot chicks man..
LOL!
Ya. After 9 years reading MR, 7 years as a member and 25 restraining orders I've come to the same conclusion.
That's less than 3 restraining orders per year! Not bad at all!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I post and reply because I like being a part of this community. I like helping others with any advice that I can give on apple products. This community allows me to meet new like minded people.

This community has become a GREAT resource for those who are researching problems related with there apple products.

Couldn't agree more. I have learned loads from Mac Rumours. Also it gives my wife a break from my talking about the other love in my life, apple products!

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Wait, so you're saying once I reach 10,000 posts the President of the United States and the Queen of England don't come to my house to congratulate me with a seven course dinner and an assortment of luxurious gifts? ... Then what the hell am I doing here?! :rolleyes:

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Some peoples intentions are to help, others are to become a moderator. You can tell, who's who. Some people try harder than others.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
Just here out of boredom and to help others if I can. I've also learn tons of things I didn't know before, whether it was Mac-related or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.