Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
The color seems really dull no matter what I do with the color calibration Samsung NP300E5A is the model number. It has Intel Pentium and 500GB storage.

This is it: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...29582665&skuId=4798182&st=NP300E5A &cp=1&lp=1

I was really surprised that you could do the two finger scroll thing on this cheap computer like you can on the MacBook.

Could you see if this was a good deal?

Anyways, I installed something to make the font all smooth like in Safari browser, but this made some of the Korean font come out as fading out too much in parts of the characters in titles of news. How can I uninstall this or fix this problem? This is what I downloaded: http://www.yethz.com/windows-apps/s...inux-or-mac-os-text-effect-in-windows-7/1827/

Last edited:

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
The screen of the MBP that I have looks so much better and has brilliant colors compared to the cheap PC laptop. Is there a PC laptop that has as good a display as the MBP? What is the screen called? (the type of the screen)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The only Windows laptops that can even get close to the Macs high quality resolution, are the top end things like alienware etc.

I'm not being biased here, but you really would be better off with a Mac. You don't say what you do with your laptop, but Apple have some great Refurb. offers on, just Google it.

I would sell the Windows laptop and buy a Mac.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The only Windows laptops that can even get close to the Macs high quality resolution, are the top end things like alienware etc.

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

Nov 28, 2010
located
The screen of the MBP that I have looks so much better and has brilliant colors compared to the cheap PC laptop. Is there a PC laptop that has as good a display as the MBP? What is the screen called? (the type of the screen)

1st: It is a 15" with 1366 x 768 pixel resolution, abysmal compared to 1440 x 900 or even 1680 x 1050 available on the 15" MBP.
2nd: While the MBP uses a TN panel (consumer grade), it is a high quality panel, does it has fairly good colour reproduction.
3rd: Both displays are backlit via LED, but there will be quality differences, due to price.
4th: You really can't compare a machine for 379 USD and 1700 USD. They are leagues apart. Or do you thing Apple spends the same money as Samsung has spent on your laptop, but just as a much bigger profit?
5th: Font smoothing, anti-aliasing, and sub-pixel rendering

6th: Go to a Samsung/Windows orientated message board, if you can't find adequate and fast (if you need that) help here, as the chance of someone having the same config is much higher there.

7th: ThinkPads have a good reputation, but again, they will cost more than this Samsung. When I bought a Samsung in 2004 (the X30, "world's thinnest 14" laptop or so), I sold it after nine months, due to repetitive failure and finally decided to buy an iBook. Never looked back (though the arrival of Lion complicates matters completely).

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
On this Samsung, resolution is fine but color reproduction is depressing. So I would want a laptop that has better color reproduction. Maybe it has something to do with its anti-glare screen. All the other laptops had glossy screen.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

I'm not being biased here, but you really would be better off with a Mac. You don't say what you do with your laptop, but Apple have some great Refurb. offers on, just Google it.

I would sell the Windows laptop and buy a Mac.

Alienware? I hope you're joking.

Lenovo is the standard to which all laptops should aim.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
So is this a good deal for ThinkPad? I noticed that BB is cheaper than Walmart when it comes to laptops. True? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+...557761471&skuId=4865096&st=thinkpad&cp=3&lp=6

But ThinkPad come with only 2GB

----------

On the Samsung that I bought it does say that it's faster than some of the i3s:
We compared it to several similar-priced HP, Dell and Asus models. The processor is a Pentium but was actually faster that some of the first generation i-3's. Overall, we're pretty picky and are happy with the choice.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...98182&id=1218529582665#tabbed-customerreviews

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Is Lenovo what they used to be? I've read a couple places they're not like they were a couple years ago.

Toshiba's higher-end laptops have a good reputation. I have two friends who have a couple and they run well. They run Windows, but not everybody's perfect. :D

Alienware has taken a painful, swirling spin down the toilet since Dell bought them.

HAVE YOU NEVER EVEN HERAD OF THINKPAD BEFORE?

lul you said Herad. :p

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Lenovo offers an IPS panel default on the X220t. HP has options for IPS Radiance panels for the ENVY 15 and Deeamcolor on workstation notebooks. You are looking at TN everywhere else, even on Apple. Apple tends to use the best TN panels for the notebooks post-unibody. That is not saying much though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.