PDA

View Full Version : SSD Life Remaining

BigMcGuire
Feb 29, 2012, 09:56 AM
Is there a utility that allows you to see the remaining life of your SSD similar to Intel's SSD Toolbox for Windows? Yeah, I realize that SSDs lasts 60+ years and all that but I'm just curious.

Thanks,
-Paul

prvt.donut
Feb 29, 2012, 05:13 PM
Is there a utility that allows you to see the remaining life of your SSD similar to Intel's SSD Toolbox for Windows? Yeah, I realize that SSDs lasts 60+ years and all that but I'm just curious.

Thanks,
-Paul

Where did you get the 60+ year figure???:eek:

The-Pro
Feb 29, 2012, 07:20 PM
Where did you get the 60+ year figure???:eek:

Good Point :D

Delighted
Feb 29, 2012, 08:01 PM
It definitely last longer than HDD, but not 60+ years, that's just..wow...just wow

BigMcGuire
Feb 29, 2012, 10:25 PM
Maybe I should have rephrased that statement, the SSD will not wear out for many many many years of use. You think you guys would have got this from my post... At my current usage rate, I guesstimated 60 years of usage.

Reference: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1217261 and many other sites I read on this forum. Also - http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html "53 years" estimated.

My Windows 7 gaming desktop uses 2 Intel X25-M SSDs (not OS drives) that have wear level indicators on them. They've been in use for 3+ years and both have 95%+ of life remaining.

And since none of you could answer my question, I'll take that as a No - Apple does not have a wear life indicator on its SSDs like Intel does and other manufacturers.

Thanks...

antonis
Mar 1, 2012, 01:21 AM
Apple is not the manufacturer of the SSDs included in Macs. They are either a Samsung or Toshiba. That is, for the models that come with SSD from the factory. If there are utilities that can actually return such an information, I'd guess that some of them would be ported to the Mac as well. Try to google it.

MacFever
Mar 2, 2012, 10:01 AM
I'm interested in a utility like this also for OS X ssd's and hdd's ........just see-ing the verified SMART status in disk utility doesn't say much really.

It would be good to know the health of the drive providing more details possibly from the SMART information on the drives.

In Windows there's a free tool that can do something similar that gives you health % and how bad of a state the drive is in with bad sectors and blocks, temperature if it goes above a threshold etc. This tool has saved many windows computers from a complete failure because i can clone the drive before it totally fails as long as it's still bootable it can be cloned.

It's the Acronis Drive Monitor

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/drive-monitor/

It has reporting/alert features built where you can send an email to your address when any of the area's of the health is diminished or overheating etc.

What's cool about this utility too is that it can report

So is there an APP for SSD's & HDD's on OSX yet? that could do similar alerting features etc..

BigMcGuire
Mar 6, 2012, 05:33 PM
@macfever Yeah this is exactly how I wanted to ask that question. (The post above mine). LOL.

halledise
Mar 6, 2012, 06:56 PM

Thanks,
-Paul

it'll last way longer than your Mac will