Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shambles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
UK
Yesterday, suddenly the trackpad on my 2011 13" Macbook Air started behaving erratically.

Scrolling down web pages with 2 fingers in particular, it highlights text as if the left button is pressed down. Trying to use Photoshop is an absolute nightmare as well.

I originally thought that the trackpad was being over sensitive, so I tried turning tap to click off in System Preferences, but that doesn't make any difference.

Should I try re-installing? Or is this a hardware problem? I researched a bit on Google and people were saying that it was a problem with the battery and it needed to be replaced..

Thanks

minnus

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Hmmm - I have the same issue when I use it in clamshell mode...I've been meaning to make a post, but never got around to it.

In clamshell mode, it would randomly click, losing focus or performing unintended actions.

Outside of clamshell mode, it is fine.

Shambles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
UK
Well I switched the laptop off last night for the first time in a while.
That seemed to of done the trick, it all seems good now. Cheers though.

Augure

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Yesterday, suddenly the trackpad on my 2011 13" Macbook Air started behaving erratically.

Scrolling down web pages with 2 fingers in particular, it highlights text as if the left button is pressed down. Trying to use Photoshop is an absolute nightmare as well.

I originally thought that the trackpad was being over sensitive, so I tried turning tap to click off in System Preferences, but that doesn't make any difference.

Should I try re-installing? Or is this a hardware problem? I researched a bit on Google and people were saying that it was a problem with the battery and it needed to be replaced..

Thanks

It does it randomly, either it's a weird synchronized hardware issue or...part of the planned obsolescence

Let me guess you have the 2010 Macbook Air ?

cragmr

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I have the exact thing happen to me. Just a single finger down moving around a web page and all of a sudden it will trigger a double click even though I still have only a single finger down.

Going to take it into an Apple store soon, but for now I'll just live with an external mouse attached.

frviana

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
I have the exact thing happen to me. Just a single finger down moving around a web page and all of a sudden it will trigger a double click even though I still have only a single finger down.

Going to take it into an Apple store soon, but for now I'll just live with an external mouse attached.

If is under warranty Apple can fix while you wait in store. I brought my wifes MBA with the same problem and they replaced the trackpad on the spot.

cragmr

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
If is under warranty Apple can fix while you wait in store. I brought my wifes MBA with the same problem and they replaced the trackpad on the spot.

It should be under warranty, bought it from Best Buy though.

And an instore replacement of the track pad would be a thousand times better than swapping out for a new MBA and having to deal with getting it back to how mine is now (with all my programs and stuff installed).

Shambles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
UK
i know mate proper annoying. reckon this is a hardware problem or software related?

jojoknob

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
any luck with Apple Store service?

Having the same random click problem, about 11 months since purchasing my Air. I'm wondering, did people have luck servicing this issue at an Apple Store? I have an appointment and I'm wondering what to expect when I tell them they need to fix it before my warranty runs out in two weeks!

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Having the same random click problem, about 11 months since purchasing my Air. I'm wondering, did people have luck servicing this issue at an Apple Store? I have an appointment and I'm wondering what to expect when I tell them they need to fix it before my warranty runs out in two weeks!

Two weeks left to purchase Apple Care. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.