Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I'm going to upgrade my wife's white MB from the original 120 to a 500. I have the drive and a 500 MB USB carrier for it.

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to move things over to the new drive so I can then simply swap it out.

I know I can use SuperDuper and such, but are there even easier solutions in the era of Lion I should consider?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm going to upgrade my wife's white MB from the original 120 to a 500. I have the drive and a 500 MB USB carrier for it.

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to move things over to the new drive so I can then simply swap it out.

I know I can use SuperDuper and such, but are there even easier solutions in the era of Lion I should consider?
Clone the internal drive to the external, using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then swap the drives and boot up from the new internal drive.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Even in the era of Lion, very few things are simpler than Carbon Copy Cloner.

I've known some people that clone drives just using Disk Utility. I don't think it's easier than CCC.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
...and that's just what I did, perfectly! Took a while to copy over the 110 GB, but the swap and everything else was a snap.

Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.