Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
i might be buying a 12" 867Mhz Powerbook G4, and i will want to be able to use it for garageband, i know the system itself is perfectly capable of running it, however i have a bass guitar that i would like to be able to record music with on the powerbook, my questions are these: Can i hook up an electric guitar/bass to this powerbook, and if so what do i need to connect it? thanks a lot!

bipolardiscs

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2005
ok i know this much...it's possible to go 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to mic input.
or there are many other possible solutions thru your usb or, i believe the preferred method would be firewire. i had similar questions in the last post "help me" that i got great feedback to, including a link to a site to get, uhm, something to do with the firewire. consider this a referal to the previous thread.

good luck!!

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
What you need is a good audio interface. I'd recommend something like the M-Audio MobilePre as it has both 1/4" Jacks and XLR inputs. Its also got preamps (they boost the level of your signal to reduce stuff like hiss and interference). Its usb rather than firewire, but as its only 2 channel (stereo) that doesnt make a lot of difference, but you will need to make sure your Powerbook can bus power over USB (it should do, but one of the Mac gurus here will be able to tell you).

I think they retail for about £100 UK, so I'm not sure where you are. They work with Garageband, and would be a worthwhile investment, should you decide to record vocals at any point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.