Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
What are your thoughts of how they compare? I am using iStatPro, and have been for a few years (thanks to this forum :) ). However, it seems whoever made iStatPro has died or something has happened to them in which they have not updated any of their stuff in years. I am running 10.7 and currently have iStatPro that has been pulled from being a widget to sitting in the actual homescreen (using the break Widget command or whatever...forgot exactly how I did it). I ask as iStatPro and my Lion don't seem to like each other that much. Are there other options? I don't mind paying $16 for iStatMenu but I'd like to hear from people that have both regarding how they compare, or how others compare to both. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Edit: I just realized the two are made by the same maker. I feel like an idiot. Thoughts are still appreciated :p

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I can tell you that iStat Menus works fantastic in Lion and has new features that were not configurable to the same detail in iStat Pro. It resides permanently in my menu bar, and paying $16 to have peace of mind at a glance 365 days a year is well worth it.;)

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
I can tell you that iStat Menus works fantastic in Lion and has new features that were not configurable to the same detail in iStat Pro. It resides permanently in my menu bar, and paying $16 to have peace of mind at a glance 365 days a year is well worth it.;)

I have to totally agree with this. I have both and by far I get the most usefulness out of iStat Menus. Having the info I want and need at a quick glance in the menu bar is priceless to me and couldn't imagine using OS X without it. There are also a bunch of customizable options in the settings to make it tailored to your needs.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I also have iStat menus 3 and it tells me everything that I have to know. I think it's a great little program to have. 

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
iStatMenus is annoying imo. I don't need to view my temperatures and my fan RPM all the time.

I wouldn't say it's annoying, but how often does anyone need to view this kind of information? This is really what is boils down to. Well, this, and how inconvenient it might be to press F12 or whatever key to bring up the dashboard. ;)

I figure this kind of information is need-to-know when a problem is suspected, and totally superfluous otherwise. One uses a thermometer when they suspect they might have a fever; they don't run around 24/7 with a thermometer in their ass, constantly checking the temperature. But, to each their own.

All that said, iStatMenus does look kinda sexy.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I wouldn't say it's annoying, but how often does anyone need to view this kind of information? This is really what is boils down to. Well, this, and how inconvenient it might be to press F12 or whatever key to bring up the dashboard. ;)

I figure this kind of information is need-to-know when a problem is suspected, and totally superfluous otherwise. One uses a thermometer when they suspect they might have a fever; they don't run around 24/7 with a thermometer in their ass, constantly checking the temperature. But, to each their own.

All that said, iStatMenus does look kinda sexy.

Lol not in this forum. I have never seen more people obsessed with heat and fan rpm then MBP owners here! I suspect for them that info is checked every ten min!!!

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
You seem mad.

I did remove it and like I said, I can't recommend it. If you like it, go ahead and recommend it, but me (yes, me and only me), I can't.

I'm not mad. I just responded to your post that offered nothing to the thread with some additional info that might be useful to somebody else.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Is the free and paid version of iStat Menus the same? I have dragged iStatPro to my desktop. Can I configure it so that unlike a jail broken widget, it does not override that real estate on the screen?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.