PDA

View Full Version : got a new MBA need a case or skin..suggestions

LSmitty
Feb 29, 2012, 06:57 PM
I got my new macbook air today! i LOVE it! I want some protection for it for around the house. I will get a sleeve for travel but i want either a hard snap case or a skin or something to protect it from scratches, etc. I do NOT however want to make my nice light air much heavier. Any suggestions?

francis21
Feb 29, 2012, 09:06 PM
I got my new macbook air today! i LOVE it! I want some protection for it for around the house. I will get a sleeve for travel but i want either a hard snap case or a skin or something to protect it from scratches, etc. I do NOT however want to make my nice light air much heavier. Any suggestions?

For my 2011 MBA 11-inch, I'm currently using a Speck see-thru clear case. I like this case a lot for two reasons: 1) It keeps the overall natural look of the MBA. 2) It is almost like a natural protection.

Note that it might a bit of thickness to your MBA, but not that a lot really. I just take it in and out of my laptop bag whenever I need it. Simply works great.

I find though that sleeves allow you to travel with your MBA by itself, compared to having just a Speck case on your MBA, but since I bring my laptop bag with me, I'm quite fine with it. Also, I just find sleeves to be an annoyance of taking it out of the sleeve and using your MBA for 5 mins. just to check out something very quick, for example.

The Speck see thru case allows me to get into my MBA in about 5 secs: take it out of my bag, put in in a table, and voila!

Hope this helps.

TheRealDamager
Feb 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
I wanted to preserve the small size and shape of the Air, so I chose a skin. iCarbons sells a "brushed aluminum" skin that I'm using now - it protects, which preserving the original size and shape (and look) of the Air - I love it.

macguy360
Feb 29, 2012, 10:14 PM

The thing is made out of Aluminum. It is the case. I say enjoy it and don't ugly it up with a piece of plastic. Worst of all is when people put a hard case on their macbooks and then dirt gets inbetween the plastic and aluminum and scratches the computer up.

oneMadRssn
Mar 1, 2012, 10:27 AM
I agree, go naked!

Except for the screen, I got a photodon screen protector, to prevent scratches on the screen which seems to be the one issue with this computer.

TheRealDamager
Mar 1, 2012, 10:40 AM
The thing is made out of Aluminum. It is the case. I say enjoy it and don't ugly it up with a piece of plastic. Worst of all is when people put a hard case on their macbooks and then dirt gets inbetween the plastic and aluminum and scratches the computer up.

That's why I say take a look at this aluminum iCarbons skin - it's relatively cheap, will keep the aluminum from getting scratched up, and looks just as good as a naked air.

gary c
Mar 1, 2012, 10:52 AM
I bought a Brenthaven case at the Mac store. I looked around a bunch and decided on this one. It has two small pockets for the charging cord and ear bugs. My air sets in the case at home and travels well. I really like the wide, adjustable shoulder strap. Fits me perfectly.

vhp3
Mar 1, 2012, 11:20 AM
I like mine half-naked. I get bodyguards and just projected the bottom with a wet application. Once it dries it looks great. $20.00 and you're done. Resell is better with unscratched belly.

TheRealDamager
Mar 1, 2012, 11:40 AM
I like mine half-naked. I get bodyguards and just projected the bottom with a wet application. Once it dries it looks great. $20.00 and you're done. Resell is better with unscratched belly.

Aren't scratches on the top even worse for resale?

No-Me
Mar 1, 2012, 04:37 PM
Aren't scratches on the top even worse for resale?

It's an object made to be used,.. if you're just buying it to resell it, put it back in the box and just look at it every now and then.

Get a proper bag, get a good sleeve, and just don't through around your bag, you will be fine. And a naked macbook air looks 100x nicer than an ugly skin/shellcase. :-)

TheRealDamager
Mar 1, 2012, 06:07 PM
It's an object made to be used,.. if you're just buying it to resell it, put it back in the box and just look at it every now and then.

Get a proper bag, get a good sleeve, and just don't through around your bag, you will be fine. And a naked macbook air looks 100x nicer than an ugly skin/shellcase. :-)

Oh believe me - I'm USUALLY the guy using those exact words on this site. But in my mind, if I can apply something that is cheap, looks great (I think it looks better than the naked Air), keeps the Air from getting scratched AND doesn't increase the size or weight, that a winner.

IXDoubleDXI
Mar 1, 2012, 08:40 PM
Speck-black see thru case. Barely adds size/weight to the MBA. I'm on my 2nd one as the bottom portion cracked near the hinge, rendering the bottom useless.

Macman45
Mar 1, 2012, 08:44 PM
Speck clear front and rear on my MBA and MBP, City Messenger XxL for carting them around. The bag is actually large enough to accommodate my Air, Pro, Magsafes, AND iPad, with room for other stuff too.

aeboi
Mar 2, 2012, 02:31 AM
About to send in my Speck Shell for another replacement but I'm been told by a rep that they've made adjustments to the design to prevent the cracking problem... we'll see.