Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Hey all,

I just shot a wedding video on Saturday. (I have five videos prior to this already uploaded on the respective three websites, all through iMovie 11 using the same method of clicking Share then each site).

Now, whenever I upload my latest video (fully edited, stabilized, etc.) the stabilization is gone by the time the video is to each site. The quality actually ends up worse than before it was stabilized. I use camera stabilizing equipmnt so there is hardly any tremor or sway in any of my shots so this should not be an issue. Some of my shots now shake like someone was jumping up and down very quickly. I rewatched an unstabilized version of my video in iMovie 11, QuickTime and I made a DVD to test on the TV. Yes there is some shakyness (because it is unstabilized) but, it's far superior than what is being uploaded into Vimeo/Facebook and Youtube.

So I tested a stabilized version doing the same three methods. Turns out near perfect. No shaking, very stable and smooth pans and shots. I reuploaded to Vimeo/YouTube and Facebook again last night. Same results, all stabilization gone and what appears to be an over exaggerated shaking of the camera.

Any ideas? I have never had this problem before this latest upload. I have OSX Snow Leapord up to date (refuse to buy Lion) and iMovie 11 up to date. It's becoming rather aggrivating as I rely on these sites to work correctly to help promote my business.

You thoughts and exptertise are greatly appreciated.

Liz

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Are you using the Share to YouTube/Vimeo/Facebook option or are you exporting and then uploading the resulting file through your browser? The first thing I would try is exporting the file using Quicktime (Export using Quicktime) and customize video compressor quality and audio codec/quality settings, then verify that the exported file doesn't contain shakiness. After that, upload that file and it should turn out fine. Unless I misunderstood your post.

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Zwhaler,

Thanks for responding. I actually just tried exporting through Quicktime as an .mp4 and a .mov file. Both did not work. The shakiness is there as always.

On a side note, I spent 45 minutes on the line with Apple Tech Support. The woman walked me through deleting cache files in the library and another area. Unfortunately that did not work.

The end result is...anything using direct upload to a website or Export through Quicktime is still not keeping the stabilization.

The tech support woman mentioned deleting iMovie 11 and reinstalling it fresh. She did say it would not delete any of my projects (including the current one). Is that true? If so would you say give it a shot?

I don't want to lose this video as it took around 30 hours to make. Thank you.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
no iMovie experience whatsoever but to Im sure if you copy or move your complete project to a safe spot, deleting the app should not affect it.

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Update:

I tried recreating the entire project. (Apple Tech support after a 2nd 30 minute wait 5 minute coversation) told me to recreate the project and try it again. It worked...almost.

Now only certain clips within the 5 minute video are shaky. Others are not. However, anything now with black or a darker background has some very strange shading in it. Almost like a deeper black within the darkened background. The video also colored any "skin" an almost salmon color instead of typical color of skin. Any thoughts?

Should I just delete the app and reinstall from scratch?

Thank you.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Coming from the FCP/FCPX background here, is there a way to transcode the whole project before exporting?
Sorry I dont use iMovie.
Im wondering if its choking on applying the stabilizer plus the transcode during export.

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Unfortunately my husband and I do not know enough about macs to figure this out. It appears I will be calling Tech Support again this evening after I attempt to uninstall the app and reinstall it. I'll keep the forum updated. Praying this fixes the issue. I need to get this video posted with 1080p quality before we leave for Hawaii on Saturday. Heres to trying.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Do you have access to another computer? To test this project.

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Do you have access to another computer? To test this project.

Yes. My husband has his PC. Which we could transfer the quicktime movie over on a Flash Drive to see if the quality is the same. Is that what you are referring to?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Yes. My husband has his PC. Which we could transfer the quicktime movie over on a Flash Drive to see if the quality is the same. Is that what you are referring to?
Sorry I mean another mac to test the stabilizing problem. You are using iMovie so another sytem with same for testing. I wish I can help you, Im in the middle of nowhere Canada :)

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Haha. It's okay. Thanks for trying. If the uninstall/reinstall does not work. I will give tech support a call. If that does not work, i'll take it to the apple store to see if someone there might be a little more intelligent than the tech support.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Haha. It's okay. Thanks for trying. If the uninstall/reinstall does not work. I will give tech support a call. If that does not work, i'll take it to the apple store to see if someone there might be a little more intelligent than the tech support.
God I sure hope so, but I fear they wont :( Unless they let you transfer it to another computer and test.
Even a export to file this doesnt work?

----------

Hey how about this.
Download the FCPX demo, then open that project and do a share.
Its a 30-day trial and works like the purchased version.
If it doesnt work from there then somethings up with the files and/or system.

FCPX has a Import iMovie option.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
I would be curious to know the specs of your Mac. I have a late 2009 white Macbook (pre-unibody) that I've maxed out with RAM and HDD upgrades, but while everything works fine for shorter projects (between 5 and 10 minute run times) I've noticed that when I start adding more extensive filters/effects/transitions the exporting starts getting kind of sketchy. One good practice is to do a "finalize" before sharing any projects rather then simply Exporting or sharing directly. This creates a version for each method of sharing and seems to be the most stable for exporting. Personally, I plan on getting something with more horse power with Final Cut Pro X so that I won't need to keep crossing my fingers during exports. Hope this helps! :D

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Unfortunately Exporting to Quicktime or .mp4 extensions do not work. Nor does sharing it directly to Vimeo/Facebook/YouTube.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro, silver edition. I'm at work so I can't get the exact specs for you.

As far as length of video, I am just trying to put a 5 minute highlight video. The actual length of the final product is generally 30-45 minutes depending on how much footage we took throughout the day.

The fact that iMovie (which has been flawless for us until now) is not rendering the picture quality as it should be (we shoot at 1080p 30fps), and as it has been is discouraging. I made sure everything was up to date last night, which it is. Again, just praying it's a glitch in the application, and not the mac itself.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Unfortunately Exporting to Quicktime or .mp4 extensions do not work. Nor does sharing it directly to Vimeo/Facebook/YouTube.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro, silver edition. I'm at work so I can't get the exact specs for you.

I'll be home in a few hours, so I can try it again.
Im running FCPX on the same MBP. I am curious to see if you can import that project into FCPX.

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Im running FCPX on the same MBP. I am curious to see if you can import that project into FCPX.

Unfortunately we don't have FCPX. We would like it, but do not have it. We are debating on getting Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Suite. Undecided.

I have two different versions of the same project. One that was not working. Now the new one with the rendering issues and less shakiness than the first.

Suppose I could always try and make a third version and see what happens.

Also a note, the Rolling Shutter helped on the 2nd version of the project but not the first. I do drive by's of the different locations a wedding is shot at. There was severe motion blur on the first video. The second, it worked great.
Not sure if that might tell anyone anything?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I'll download it right now. Thank you.
I would suggest backing up the main iMovie doc.
Not sure if you have the space do back up the whole project.
I havent heard of any problems going from iMovie to FCPX.
Usually FCP to FCPX and back.

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
I tried downloading Final Cut Pro Free Trial. Worked for about 15 minutes then said my free trial was up. I am trying to upload the original to Vimeo again to see if it's still having stabilization issues. Will know in about 30 minutes.

I haven't tried uninstalling iMovie for fear of losing all of my previous projects.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I tried downloading Final Cut Pro Free Trial. Worked for about 15 minutes then said my free trial was up. I am trying to upload the original to Vimeo again to see if it's still having stabilization issues. Will know in about 30 minutes.

I haven't tried uninstalling iMovie for fear of losing all of my previous projects.
Now thats strange? You shouldn't have to uninstall iMovie.

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Now thats strange? You shouldn't have to uninstall iMovie.

Hmm. That's what the tech support at apple said to do if I can't get this to work. Waiting to see what this latest attempt via imovie will turn out. Fingers crossed.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Hmm. That's what the tech support at apple said to do if I can't get this to work. Waiting to see what this latest attempt via imovie will turn out. Fingers crossed.
What thats crazy? Why would you have to do that? Well you can always install iMove anytime. You wont lose your project since the resources arent imbedded into the app.

evrgrc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
What thats crazy? Why would you have to do that? Well you can always install iMove anytime. You wont lose your project since the resources arent imbedded into the app.

I just finished my upload into Vimeo. All but two clips worked this time. Two of the smoothest panning clips are stuttering messes. However, all of the other clips rendered correctly. Not sure why iMovie isn' working as intended and wont just stabilize all the clips.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
any chance I can see this problem on vimeo?
I want to know what exactly is stuttering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.