Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piemar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
We have owned Apple TV 2nd generation for a year and a half. First year was pretty successful although lately we have had major issues with the streaming of HD movies rented from Apple TV. Where previously we could download movies and they would load and stream and play within 1 minute, now they often (but not always) take forever to load and watch. Sometimes the dialogue says "your movie will be ready to watch in 2 hours and 45 minutes"...or even 7 hours! Sometimes it loads enough to play for 20 minutes then stops and freezes while the streaming catches up again 10 min later. Very frustrating!!! I have been updating it as the updates come out. I am using HDMI into a big plasma and we also have a very fast wireless connection. We can usually watch trailers no problem though. I am on broadband with a connection speed of 18 Mbps or 2.3 Megabytes per second so speed should not be an issue. I am seriously thinking it is Apple's servers which cannot keep up to the demand for all the Apple TV's they are selling!! My son who lives in the same area also has had issues and my son in law also has been hugely frustrated on Friday night's when sitting down to watch a movie ...for which we get charged regardless!!!! Anybody out there with any ideas? I haven't tried using an Ethernet cable yet though that is my next step....

Love Apple but this is a test!
Pierre

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I have a recently purchased atv2. Netflix etc works fine. The slowness kicks in and freezing happens when i stream movies from my ipad. Mirroring works fine. My cisco router is on the 2nd floor and the atv on the first. I may get a bridge extender and ethernet it to the atv which should help. Btw few people in this forum i found dont respond to tech help questions.

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
I gave up - Apple refunded the price of the rentals. Tried everything Apple Tech Support suggested, in the end up they said my internet wasn't good enough.

I don't see how 15Mbits/s isn't good enough, especially considering every other streaming service works fine. I can download all day every day at 1.5MBytes/s...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.