Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I just bought iDentify on the advice of others here and it does a great job except that the Genre tag always seems to be left blank for some reason. I am using the latest version of iDentify 1 from the App Store.

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Is iDentify doing this with every film, or just a majority? I've noticed with the free version of the application that it has trouble fetching the genre for about 80% of the content I throw at it, so I'm guessing this problem isn't exclusive to your version of the app.

You can always manually insert genres via iTunes, or even iDentify. In iDentify, highlight all films of the same genre and edit the tags in a batch, only editing the genre field when you do this. The same can be done with the current version of iTunes.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Is iDentify doing this with every film, or just a majority? I've noticed with the free version of the application that it has trouble fetching the genre for about 80% of the content I throw at it, so I'm guessing this problem isn't exclusive to your version of the app.

You can always manually insert genres via iTunes, or even iDentify. In iDentify, highlight all films of the same genre and edit the tags in a batch, only editing the genre field when you do this. The same can be done with the current version of iTunes.
Well I just bought and started using the app, and it has failed on every movie I have tried so far, but that is only perhaps 3 or 4. I just edit the genre when it gets into iTunes. I bought identity to simplify my life by automatically importing the films into iTunes; it would be nice if iDentity would get the genre right too.

I had been using Subler and it worked every time, but often I would have to edit the genre then too because it listed genre combinations (like Action, Adventure, Thriller, Romance). Multiple genres would be fine if iTunes would show the film in each genre (in this case Action AND Adventure AND Thriller AND Romance, so the film would show up in 4 genres) but it creates a totally new genre.

AsterixGM

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
I bought Identify also and after ripping my collection of over 2500 movies Identify rarely puts in the genre. Not a big deal now as any new movies I get in I can manually add it in but it was a HUGE pain manually inserting the genre into all those other movies over time.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I'd recommend submitting a bug report (you can do it through identify directly) and ask for this to be fixed or added. I have found the developer to be VERY responsive and has implemented several fixes I asked for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.