Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone successfully installed Windows 8 with VMWare Fusion, and if so, what settings did you use?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Normal settings.
10 GB allocated space, 1 core, 2100 MB RAM, everything else is not modified.
Haven't installed any VMWare Tools yet, though my first test run was fairly brief.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Normal settings.
10 GB allocated space, 1 core, 2100 MB RAM, everything else is not modified.
Haven't installed any VMWare Tools yet, though my first test run was fairly brief.

Did you install it as an "Other" operating system? Or under Windows 7? I can't get VMWare to recognize the Windows 8 iso at all :/*

*To clarify, it just errors when booting the OS.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Maybe this can help?

2012_03_02_pA1_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA2_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA3_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA4_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA5_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA6_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA7_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA8_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA9_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA10_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA11_Windows8VMWare.png

2012_03_02_pA12_Windows8VMWare.png

I run VMWare Fusion 4.1.1 on 10.6.8.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thanks so much for the walk through :)

Unfortunately I've done all of that but its not working for me. Perhaps I need to upgrade my VMWare to the latest version, I'm still on version 3.1.3.

Thanks again for the step by step :)

dmarch

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Big Sky, MT
Thanks so much for the walk through :)

Unfortunately I've done all of that but its not working for me. Perhaps I need to upgrade my VMWare to the latest version, I'm still on version 3.1.3.

Thanks again for the step by step :)

This is your answer. You do need VMWare Fusion 4

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Any idea if this will work on VirtualBox? I'd like to try out Windows 8 but I don't want to do a dedicated install since I don't know what happens when (or if) this preview version expires. Plus I like free better ;) haha.

pkellner

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
San Jose, A
Any idea if this will work on VirtualBox? I'd like to try out Windows 8 but I don't want to do a dedicated install since I don't know what happens when (or if) this preview version expires. Plus I like free better ;) haha.

windows 8 consumer preview does work with virtual box

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
windows 8 consumer preview does work with virtual box

Yeah I ended up trying it and it worked fine. The only issue was that it was a bit tricky to get it to run full-screen (which is kind of a requirement due to Win8's weird "corner" mouse gestures). I had to use Terminal to change some settings, though I don't remember the exact commands. I just found the workaround Google somewhere.

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
installs fine on 4.1 I've only use it for 30 minutes but i don't like it at all

Not many people are going to like it after half an hour, especially if it's running inside a VM. I've been running it on my work laptop for nearly two weeks now and it works absolutely fine once you're used to it.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Not many people are going to like it after half an hour, especially if it's running inside a VM. I've been running it on my work laptop for nearly two weeks now and it works absolutely fine once you're used to it.

true i shouldn't judge it soo fast, maybe some of the things i dont like can be changed like the missing close, minimize, maximize buttons on running apps, can you add a start button to the desktop?

those where the 2 things bugging me the most

Last edited:

zackify

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
California
I got it to work almost perfect. I just can't get bootcamp assistant to download the drivers, it always stalls 1/3 of the way through downloading.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Sort of on topic regarding running Windows 8 in a windowed VM and some other thoughts about using Windows 8...

I am running Windows Server 8 beta and Windows 8 Consumer on ESX vm's, accessed through a Windows 7 desktop. I have found that running 8 in a window just doesn't cut it. The Windows key is essential to the experience. Accessing Metro from the desktop using a mouse is lame. In order to set Win8 focus on the Windows key (essentially the home key that we see on tablets) you need to put Windows 8 in full screen, which isn't too big of a deal I guess. The Windows key by itself will always take you to your app shortcuts in the Metro menu (both metro apps and classic windows apps). If you don't have it in full screen, the Windows key is focused on the physical system. Maybe I am doing something wrong in VM window mode?

Microsoft has extended the Windows key shortcuts to access various Metro menus. I just randomly hit Windows+letter combos on the keyboard while in Metro to see what they do, if anything. The desktop Windows key combos are still there as well. Server 8 also has Metro "start menu", but Metro version apps are not installed.

Seems obvious that Microsoft is trying to break admins away from administrating Server from its desktop. They want admins to install their tools (particularly the new Server Manager) on Windows 8 desktop and remotely administrate. With the exception of Remote Desktop Services, I won't be surprised if Microsoft makes initiative to push admins away from the desktop version of Server in place of Core edition with cmd and PowerShell shells. IMO Core editions of Windows 2008 isn't quite there when it comes to initial setup, particularly network. Hopefully Microsoft has extended PowerShell commands in Windows Server 8 to configure advanced networking. To me, that will make Core any easy transition. I tried going core on our 2008 R2 HyperV cluster, but with five NIC's to configure, I just found it easier to put the desktop on rather than diving through netsh to setup all of those networks. Maybe I just need a little more patience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.