Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuZZ22k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2002
on a Windows XP system. I have a centris 650 going in to a hub that is attached to my desktop.... XP machine. Can I run the enternet on the centris box like this?

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Turn on Internet connection sharing on the xp box and in the tcp/ip prefs for the mac, turn on dhcp.

Or get a broadband router and put that between your cable/dsl modem and your hub, or better yet, get a router/switch combo for like $100. Netgear makes a 4 or 8 port 10/100 switch with a built in router that would work like a charm.

BuZZ22k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2002
OK, ICS is on and active to my hub... I have an xbox that runs on it for xbox live. (I'm a beta tester) I put the settings for apple talk to tcp/ip and I turned on dhcp. I am getting no status on the hub. (green light) for the connection to the mac. I have the old ethernet port that takes a cable to convert it to a rj45 plug. I tried plugging the cable directly to my modem but still had no status. What should I do now?

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
It sounds like you are using an AAUI (apple attachment unit interface) for you ethernet. Are you using a category 5 ethernet cable with rj45 connectors. You should not be able to stick an ethernet cable into a modem port, the rj45 is bigger than the jack a phone uses. If you are not getting a status light on your hub, something is wrong. That is called a layer 1 problem. So, check that you are using an ethernet cable. Perhaps switch the network cable the windows box is using with the one you are using on the mac. Does it still work on the windows box.

What kind of mac are you using? Oh yeah, do you have a network control panel under 7, i seem to remeber one that you used to pick which interface you want to use to connect to a network. Make sure that your ethernet port is showing up.

post the answers, or email me at

peterjhill@mac.com

BuZZ22k

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2002
It is a centris 650. It is using the AAUI port, with an rj45 adapter on it. I can not change the cable as it is attached to the adapter. I canged all the settings to try and get a green light and saw nothing. I am runnign OS 7.5.5

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Hey, BuZZ22k. I'm sorry you are still having trouble getting your Centris networked.

Anyone following this thread, or thinking of contributing, should first read the earlier thread about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.