PDA

View Full Version : Ban Comic Sans

neildmitchell
Jun 19, 2005, 02:30 PM
http://bancomicsans.com/image/bcscolor121x144.jpg
http://bancomicsans.com
In 1995 Microsoft released the font Comic Sans originally designed for comic book style talk bubbles containing informational help text. Since that time the typeface has been used in countless contexts from restaurant signage to college exams to medical information. These widespread abuses of printed type threaten to erode the very foundations upon which centuries of typographic history are built.

While we recognize the font may be appropriate in a few specific instances, our position is that the only effective means of ending this epidemic of abuse is to completely ban Comic Sans.

We understand font selection is a matter of personal preference and that many people may disagree with us. Those who do not share our views should visit the Comic Sans Appreciation Society and the Illustrated History of Comic Sans.

poundsmack
Jun 19, 2005, 02:32 PM
this sounds like a case of going overboard on this one......is a ban really required? personaly i would rather get rid of joker man font

CanadaRAM
Jun 19, 2005, 02:34 PM
Yup. Let's all go back to Trajan.

neildmitchell
Jun 19, 2005, 02:46 PM
this sounds like a case of going overboard on this one......is a ban really required? personaly i would rather get rid of joker man font
Its a half hearted joke, there isnt going to be typohiles taking to the street in protest.
That would be hilarious to see though. :D

If you check out the Statistics page, and look at the projected Comic sans Usage graph, it becomes even more clear, this is all about having fun.
http://bancomicsans.com/statistics.html

I have seen Comic Sans used innappropriately in "professional" mailers, the font was most innapropriate for the context. The font has its place, but far too often it is placed in the wrong hands.

MongoTheGeek
Jun 19, 2005, 04:19 PM
I hate fonts in general. Comic sans is a bad on. The only thing it has going for it is that it isn't Helvetica, the root of all evil.

crowndiva
Jun 20, 2005, 01:02 AM
I hate fonts in general. Comic sans is a bad on. The only thing it has going for it is that it isn't Helvetica, the root of all evil.
Hate Fonts? Helvetica the root of all evil?

I would have to say that Quark is the root of all evil.

Mechcozmo
Jun 20, 2005, 01:32 AM
Damn you, Wingdings 1, 2, and 3! And your friend, Webdings, too!

crowndiva
Jun 20, 2005, 01:59 AM
Why you hate'n the 'dings?

pinto32
Jun 20, 2005, 02:44 AM
Perhaps this is the right moment to ask....WHAT THE HELL ARE WINGDINGS SUPPOSED TO BE??? ARE WE ACTUALLY EXPECTED TO READ THEM??? AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :eek:

Ok, all better now....

I am a switcher...I used to use comic sans for MOST of my non-school related typing, but have since come to my senses and "switched" to arial and verenda. (hint: Apple "switch" ad spoof is in order for this very topic).

snkTab
Jun 20, 2005, 03:02 AM
I wonder if there's a Comic Serif?

neildmitchell
Jun 20, 2005, 03:47 AM
Perhaps this is the right moment to ask....WHAT THE HELL ARE WINGDINGS SUPPOSED TO BE??? ARE WE ACTUALLY EXPECTED TO READ THEM??? AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :eek:

Ok, all better now....

I am a switcher...I used to use comic sans for MOST of my non-school related typing, but have since come to my senses and "switched" to arial and verenda. (hint: Apple "switch" ad spoof is in order for this very topic).

lol, no the 'dings are not to be for reading. :) If your into graphic design they are a great starting place to get ideas from, or when you just need a quick symbol of some sort. I have used the astrological symbols in a recent postcard series.

neildmitchell
Jun 20, 2005, 03:49 AM
I wonder if there's a Comic Serif?
BOO HISS :rolleyes: :) :p
Dont thinkthat there is, and hope there isnt

scem0
Jun 20, 2005, 03:53 AM
Comic Sans makes us who refuse to use it look better, so I'm not for banning it.

Horrible font, though. :)

scem0

iGav
Jun 20, 2005, 04:35 AM
Helvetica, the root of all evil.

you surely jest :eek: :eek: :eek:

wrldwzrd89
Jun 20, 2005, 04:39 AM
I agree with the point of the linked-to web site (Comic Sans is overused to the point of abuse), but I think the stuff extrapolated from that is completely unrealistic. Still, this thread made me laugh.

stubeeef
Jun 20, 2005, 07:28 AM
AAARRRGGGG! This thread is will be sending back into font-therapy. To many fonts, used incorrectly, make it stop. Oh the humanity! Next thing you know people will be mixing Times and Times New Roman in the same paragraph. Have you no shame people! :eek:

MongoTheGeek
Jun 20, 2005, 07:45 AM
The only thing it has going for it is that it isn't Helvetica, the root of all evil.

you surely jest :eek: :eek: :eek:

Helvetica is evil because there are so many versions that are slightly incompatible and or bastardized running around. And everyone assumes that everyone else that people have their version.

Why did the text overset?
The server didn't have the right version of the font.
I only used Helvetica...
....at this point there is long conversation about how used Helvetica out of a different foundry or about how helvetica narrow condensed is not a standard weight or about how they are mixing and matching versions of the font leading to error messages and inconsistent results.

Quark is evil yes. It allows for a bunch of things that it shouldn't. Adobe isn't all sweetness and light either.

Honestly, I don't like fonts because it the thing the artists are most likely to get wrong and I hate telling people how to do their jobs. Especially people who have more experience than I do. I just want to curl up in my little hole and look at 9 pt monaco. Nice fixed pitch font with slashed 0's and I's that don't look like l's.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 20, 2005, 08:27 AM
I saw a truck going down the road the other day and it had its logo in Comic Sans on the side.....thought it was a choice I wouldn't make and didn't think more on it - But now after looking at this, even if it is a bit of a joke, he's on to something....

D

elizabeth
Jun 20, 2005, 08:32 AM
As a student teacher, i have to use comic sans for stuff to use in class, as it's "easier to read".

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 20, 2005, 08:40 AM
As a student teacher, i have to use comic sans for stuff to use in class, as it's "easier to read".Try using a real font in a slightly larger size, instead. Should be easer to read (serif for paper, sans serif for screen as a thumb rule), too...

More advices/suggestions in the favorite fonts-thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=124521) or the readable font for articles-thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=131789).

evilernie
Jun 20, 2005, 08:56 AM
Great thread. I am already boycotting comic sans, I hate that butt-ugly font. Glad I'm not the only one.

I agree, Helvetica sucks and Quark is evil. Why do we need Helvetica book, Helvetica roman, Helvetica Neue Book, Helvetica Neue Roman, etc. etc. It's the same damn font. Not to mention having duplicates in OS9 system fonts and OSX system fonts.

skunk
Jun 20, 2005, 09:04 AM
As a student teacher, i have to use comic sans for stuff to use in class, as it's "easier to read".Presumably "easier" because it's less "formal", less "authoritarian". We don't want to frighten the little darlings with a nasty, pointy serif, now do we? :rolleyes:

feakbeak
Jun 20, 2005, 09:08 AM
Comic Sans became quite popular for a while, but I think it is heading out now. Fonts seem to have fads - they become popular for a while, then they die out. I've noticed Papyrus is gaining popularity these days. I see that font far too often these days.

DavidLeblond
Jun 20, 2005, 09:14 AM

Hey now, without Wingdings I'd have to draw my avatar's smiley and voice bubble by hand... can't be havin' none of that!

efoto
Jun 20, 2005, 09:14 AM
Presumably "easier" because it's less "formal", less "authoritarian". We don't want to frighten the little darlings with a nasty, pointy serif, now do we? :rolleyes:

Of course not, we would rather feed them sloppily rounded shi**y font and let not only their minds be warped by their eyes as well. Books will hence-forth all be published in Comic Sans as well as all newspapers and magazines. All published materials, including those on the internet, are to be published using COMIC SANS! Takeover soon to commence....just after season 5 of 24 :p...I just gave away the topic actually. Terrorists hack the *insert fancy government agency* database and replace everything with COMIC SANS! ARGH!

Personally feeding kids Comic Sans at school is lesser to the pointed, nasty serif IMO. Afterall, we want the children to be pointed and have some tact don't we? :confused:

I'm not responsible either way, I haven't reproduced :D

Mitthrawnuruodo
Jun 20, 2005, 09:17 AM
I've noticed Papyrus is gaining popularity these days. I see that font far too often these days.That's not good. I've used that for headings (and Skia for the rest) on my CV because it was quite rare... If that becomes another Comic Sans I have to find another ... :( (unless I get a job soon, with the old CV... ;))

michaelrjohnson
Jun 20, 2005, 09:23 AM
As a student teacher, i have to use comic sans for stuff to use in class, as it's "easier to read".

I believe that you will find *many* typophiles who disagree with you on that.

...Helvetica, the root of all evil.

I don't feel it's the type family, it's peoples lack of knowledge while attempting to use them. The various faces themselves are a staple of the designer's diet, IMHO.

neildmitchell
Jun 20, 2005, 12:36 PM
Helvetica is evil because there are so many versions that are slightly incompatible and or bastardized running around. And everyone assumes that everyone else that people have their version.
Ok I agree with you there. I remember doing prepress for a fast turn media duplication company, I had some obscene number of Helveticas, and when auto activation couldnt find the correct one....GRRRRR

MongoTheGeek
Jun 20, 2005, 02:00 PM
I don't feel it's the type family, it's peoples lack of knowledge while attempting to use them. The various faces themselves are a staple of the designer's diet, IMHO.

I understand the uses but there are too many people doing Bad Things and too many people who don't really know what they are doing and frighteningly enough, don't want to know. People who don't know the difference between bolded Helvetica and Helvetica-Bold. Don't even get me started on color spaces.

MongoTheGeek
Jun 20, 2005, 02:03 PM

try Century Schoolbook or Century Gothic.

They are related to the Dick and Jane font. Specifically made to be easy to read. Not made to look like hand lettered comic books.

skunk
Jun 20, 2005, 02:37 PM
I'm not responsible either way, I haven't reproduced :DTry Command+C.
:rolleyes:

yellow
Jun 20, 2005, 02:49 PM
Down with Comic Sans!
Death to Times New Roman!
A pox on Sans Serif!

And now, onto another forum to spread the "word".

:rolleyes:

These widespread abuses of printed type threaten to erode the very foundations upon which centuries of typographic history are built.
And this is a problem because... ?

Though I must admit, when I see text in Chicago font, it makes my skin crawl. This IS 2005, people!

Omen88
Jun 20, 2005, 03:14 PM
Good God I'm not alone on this one! For many years I have truly hated this font, and I still do. There are so many people using it in the wrong places. Almost any place is a wrong place to use this horrible font.

My girlfriends' friends (female) use it almost constantly for everything. From thesis papers to assignments to e-mail to chat in msn to... anything.

Then there are a lot of her teachers (she studies midfwifery) that use it in their course material (also female) which gets me truly enraged. How can you study something when those horrible glyphs pollute your eyes?!

Now comes the most enfuriating part. I had a professor (female...) that tought a course structure of computer programs (Scheme language) and guess which font the course material was in... I refused to read anything of it and bought the book instead. 300 pages in comic sans means suicide for me with still 250 pages to read.

Here comes my bold statement. Mainly women use comic sans because they think it is friendly and loose and takes the edge of things. For frustrated men like me it looks unprofessional and motivates homicide.

So much for my rant. Glad I got that off my chest.

But no they shouldn't ban it. They should punish abuse (= use) of the font by torture.

Omen88
Jun 20, 2005, 03:24 PM

I don't want to be rude to you. But no....... it's not. It really isn't! A serif font like Times or Palatino is easier to read.

Omen88
Jun 20, 2005, 03:30 PM
And another thing. When I have kids and I ever catch them using comic sans I will sell them into slavery! That'll teach those spoiled brats.

Peyote
Jun 20, 2005, 03:36 PM
I don't want to be rude to you. But no....... it's not. It really isn't! A serif font like Times or Palatino is easier to read.

I think they are saying that they HAVE to use the font since they are a student teacher...not necessarily their opinion.

To get back to the topic...

I agree comic sans sucks. I am getting tired of designers being "typophiles" though, almost to the point of obnoxious snobbery commonplace with "audiophiles."

some typefaces suck, some suck MORE. Comic Sans is one I will never ever use, but they say that every typeface has a time and place where it's appropriate (except comic sans).

Let's remember however, that we as designers or fans of type in whatever form may know more about type others, and therefore disagree with using certain typefaces, but I do wish that we would make a better effort to be more forgiving of others and try not to be too elitist. When I hear people talking about type in the way that audiophiles talk (i.e. asserting that will only accept the highest standards, and everything else is rubbish...anyone that listens to music encoded at less than blah blah blah Kps must have much less sensative ears or lower standards, etc...) it makes my skin crawl.

Omen88
Jun 20, 2005, 03:43 PM
Hmm you could be right. I just noticed the quotes now around "easier to read". Elisabeth, you should stand up and fight against the tyranny. Enlighten those children with nicer fonts. Be a hero to them.

feakbeak
Jun 20, 2005, 03:46 PM
"tyranny"... "hero"... :confused:

Peyote, you make a very good point about the typofiles. I know several audiophiles and it is nauseating.

Freg3000
Jun 20, 2005, 03:50 PM
I hate Helvetica because it is the most ugly font I have ever seen. :)

Peyote
Jun 20, 2005, 03:57 PM
I hate Helvetica because it is the most ugly font I have ever seen. :)

Helvetica is beautiful compared to many others...Ponderosa comes to mind...tha tthe hell is wrong with that font anyway?

m-dogg
Jun 20, 2005, 04:25 PM
I'm already a longtime boycotter of comic sans font. It seems very unprofessional to me - It's like the 'child's poor penmanship' of fonts - But so many people at my company feel the need to use it...

Fight the power! Down with comic sans!

What's funny is that I really don't pay any attention to fonts - EXCEPT for this one. I always thought it was just me...

RJP31484
Jun 20, 2005, 04:29 PM
Comic Sans makes us who refuse to use it look better, so I'm not for banning it.

Horrible font, though. :)

scem0
IM SO SORRRRYYY!!!!
(comic sans is my standard AIM font)

efoto
Jun 21, 2005, 02:53 AM
IM SO SORRRRYYY!!!!

There is no time like RIGHT NOW to make a change. Implement a new font and save your friend's eyes and their sanity!

I really don't like Comic Sans, however it doesn't grossly offend me like some here either. I much prefer a more pointed and written-print type font, but if someone produces something with another....I can always just change it to what I want. I usually default to using Arial in most cases as it is not Times NR and still easy to read.

20rogersc
Jun 28, 2005, 04:17 PM
I'm glad so many people also hate this font, as I certainly do.

It can never be used in the right way, and i can't see how it is 'easy to read' as it looks horrible. Anyway this is my personal opinion and if some people use it, its up to them, but I can't see any good reason for it.

::20ROGERSC::

snkTab
Jun 28, 2005, 11:16 PM
I think the fact that a lot of spam mail comes through with comic sans doesn't help it either.

mxpiazza
Jun 28, 2005, 11:20 PM
quite the funny site... there should def be a few to go before comis sans though... all of the "dings", for instance

Mike Teezie
Jun 29, 2005, 01:15 AM
IM SO SORRRRYYY!!!!

Thankfully, Adium reformats all text coming in into a nice Lucida Grande (or whatever you choose).

7on
Jun 29, 2005, 01:39 AM
I do enjoy Optima.

That aside, Helvetica isn't too bad. As long as the text is outlined and I don't have to edit it.

I've also recently discovered Eras Book DTC (I believe that was the acronym). That was an enjoyable font that I just got through with on a flyer body text.
Bauhaus ain't a bad font either - though I did make the C look a little more like a C through modifying the Outlines... :D

Anyway, I have more problems with people who think their ideas will look best. Ummmm, I thought that was my job? To come up with what looks best? Not just created a higher quality version of their MS Publisher brainstorming sessions.

phatpat88
Jun 29, 2005, 02:19 AM
My history teacher always used it... UGGG i really despise that font. (C.Sans)

Lacero
Jun 29, 2005, 02:22 AM
Brush Script, Chalkboard, Marker Felt and Skia are not far behind.

Nermal
Jun 29, 2005, 03:32 AM
I'm definitely a newbie where it comes to typography, but I agree that Comic Sans is horrible. Having said that, I think that Lucida Handwriting is even worse.

deadfrog
Jun 30, 2005, 03:33 AM
ok, well ive actually met the guy who made comic sans, i actually feel sorry for the guy... He made it while working for microsoft and i guess technically it does what it was intended to do, and now he gets branded with it for life... Its just ignorance of people using it in the wrong place and to be honest, i dont think it should be banned as much as i hate seeing it.... As a graphic design student, im paying money to learn a profession and since the market is being flooded with any old person having a go at photoshop, it kinda points out why people are still needed...

its really only people who dont know about typography who are gonna be making these kind of errors, and from my point of view its only gonna make people who are learning about typography (be it at uni, home or through their job) more important...

I say keep it and just let people who dont know what they are doing use it, so we can all feel a little better for knowing that it shouldnt be used.

aboutthat
Jun 30, 2005, 09:07 AM
okay, personally I would have to say ban Arial in favor of Helvetica! I work at a huge corporation that uses Helvetica (and its many, many variations) for absolutely everything; being forced to use it, it can actually look quite nice when combined with different styles, adjusting tracking, etc. IMO, it looks much more professional (or maybe just less over-used) than fonts like Arial...for some reason though, Arial (and of course Comic Sans) have always just grated on me. The world would just be a prettier place without them :D

rendezvouscp
Jun 30, 2005, 01:35 PM
Brush Script, Chalkboard, Marker Felt and Skia are not far behind.

I was afraid that someone was going to say Skia. Brush Script is annoying (but I've never seen it used), Chalkboard has it's uses, as does Marker Felt, but I really like Skia for chatting (not text documents). As for Comic Sans, I'm not anti-it, but there are better fonts to use in, well, anything.
-Chase

JonMaker
Jun 30, 2005, 03:17 PM
In NS, Canada, we write public exams at the end of high school. Guess what font the ENTIRE BLOODY EXAM WAS SET IN!

That's right. The Public English 12, Physics 12, Chemistry 12, Calculus 12 and Math 12 exams were set in twelve point Comic sodding Sans. It didn't help that they were printed on neon coloured paper, too. After ten minutes of reading, I was thinking about the exam about as much as I was thinking about comitting harakiri by papercut.

I wrote a paper on why Comic Sans should not be used in the classroom, and submitted it to an administrator. We have since agreed, and our concern is soon to be taken to the school board. I kid you not.

You can not fathom the degree of self control it takes for me to not flame you for that comment. I will simply point out that you did not capitalize the word "I". My English prof would fail me for that, and give me a dirty look. As a student teacher who can't spell "I", how can you be trusted to choose a proper font?

Comic Sans is not easier to read.

rendezvouscp
Jun 30, 2005, 06:58 PM
In NS, Canada, we write public exams at the end of high school. Guess what font the ENTIRE BLOODY EXAM WAS SET IN!

That's right. The Public English 12, Physics 12, Chemistry 12, Calculus 12 and Math 12 exams were set in twelve point Comic sodding Sans. It didn't help that they were printed on neon coloured paper, too. After ten minutes of reading, I was thinking about the exam about as much as I was thinking about comitting harakiri by papercut.

I wrote a paper on why Comic Sans should not be used in the classroom, and submitted it to an administrator. We have since agreed, and our concern is soon to be taken to the school board. I kid you not.

You can not fathom the degree of self control it takes for me to not flame you for that comment. I will simply point out that you did not capitalize the word "I". My English prof would fail me for that, and give me a dirty look. As a student teacher who can't spell "I", how can you be trusted to choose a proper font?

Comic Sans is not easier to read.

Ah, don't freak out! It's online, and the rules can be broken! Either way, it's not like your post was perfect English either; look at your use of what's properly named "hara-kiri" and you'll see what I mean (hint: hara-kiri is a noun). BTW (or should I say "by the way" ;) ), I'm not an English professor or anything, so I know you know much more than I do about English, and I'm not being too serious either; this paragraph is kind of meant as a light-hearted joke. :D

As for the post, I believe the student teacher in reference was mentioning that it's "easier to read," but it's not actually easier to read, but it supposedly is easier to read by the kids.
-Chase

elizabeth
Jun 30, 2005, 07:14 PM

i just want to point out here that it's not by choice, no siree! :p it's whats recommended by uni, and pretty much forced upon you by the various teachers on placements..personally, i think it sucks! :rolleyes:

edit: i'd also like to add that i don't use it when teaching-there are plenty of other fonts that are better!

elizabeth
Jun 30, 2005, 07:24 PM

*blinks*

and here i was, thinking i was on an internet forum, not writing an english essay! ;) never thought capital letters were mandatory! :p

tech4all
Jun 30, 2005, 07:36 PM

Yet you can not spell out the entire word "professor"? Oh comon now :rolleyes:

:D ;)

JonMaker
Jul 2, 2005, 11:15 AM
*blinks*

and here i was, thinking i was on an internet forum, not writing an english essay! ;) never thought capital letters were mandatory! :p

You are on an internet forum, and you are not writing an English essay. Capital letters are not mandatory. It's just that I'm a curmudgeon, and sometimes my posting is less than objective.

Sorry :o

feyd_ehway
Jul 14, 2005, 01:46 AM
...is to completely ban Comic Sans.
hella funny! :D

CubaTBird
Aug 7, 2005, 11:26 AM
ban comic sans? for what? hrm.. they should ban cran-grape juice too..

dops7107
Aug 7, 2005, 11:45 AM

I've heard dyslexics saying it is easier to read too.

Personally I hate Comic Sans. I make it one of my many bug-bears so I make every effort to encourage people to abandon it. I am a scientist, and I've even seen grant proposals - official documents where you have to compete for money - in that darned typeface. And presetations/posters at conferences... just don't get me started, please :mad:

Jaffa Cake
Aug 7, 2005, 11:56 AM
I have a contact who not only insists on writing all her emails to me in Comic Sans, but colours it full strength magenta. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt and think that she only does it to wind me up, but apparently all her email correspondance is formatted in this way...

Applespider
Aug 7, 2005, 01:36 PM
Alarmingly, there are many people in the world who actually like Comic Sans :confused: Apparently, having asked a few of them, they think it looks friendly, informal, cheerful and more 'fun' than more standard fonts.

I do wonder whether the proportion of Comic Sans lovers is in any way related to the number of Windows users...

iBlue
Aug 7, 2005, 01:42 PM
what, this font? <- sucks :eek:

this thread cracks me up, glad to know that i'm not the only one who thought it looked cheesy. it could be worse but i definitely am not a comic sans fan.

dotdotdot
Aug 7, 2005, 02:40 PM
I love Comic Sans! I especially love when people use it in BIG letters, and then write LOL after every sentence with it, LOL!!! LOL!!!oneone11!!eleven11!

Why would ya wanna ban it, LOL!!111!!one111!!!!eleven11!!!!111!!

xrayzed
Aug 7, 2005, 07:59 PM

You might like a "death to Helvetica" t-shirt - currently out-of-stock due to extreme popularity:

http://www.the-letterbox.com.au/images/mer_tsh_death01.gif

http://www.the-letterbox.com.au/frames_mer_tshirts.html

The guy behind these, Steve Banham, is a Melbourne-based designer/typographer/ant-********er (you'll need to read the article to understand the last bit) who has a minor campaign against Helvetica and its effect on the homogenisation of culture.

And no I'm not making this up: http://www.the-letterbox.com.au/res_texts_not.html.

dubbz
Aug 7, 2005, 08:58 PM
*Removed text to protect eyes*

Worst thing is, I know some people who write like that. Adults. Normally sane ones.

I must confess that I used it extensively when I was (much) younger, but when I see it now, my axe-hand starts to twitch.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the 'dings. They're just symbols.

Orlando Furioso
Aug 7, 2005, 09:25 PM
I've noticed Papyrus is gaining popularity these days. I see that font far too often these days.

I must agree, Papyrus is overused. An instance of it comes up every day. Copperfield is another abused typeface. As for comic sans, I've totally forgotten about it until today. I think this ban might serve to resurrect a type that was already on it's way out. Way to go guys.

cleanup
Aug 13, 2005, 08:39 PM
COMIC SANS IS USED MOST IN TEENAGE MSN MESSENGER PROFILES OMFGZ0RZ~!

Seriously, how many times have you seen this:

HI GUYZ! itz me jess and dis iz my PROFILE!!!11!!11!

Tell us a little about yourself:
ummm well im lik 5 ft 1"' an di have baby blue eyez and i luv mountaindew YA!!! ITZ DA BEST!@@!

Interests:
ummmm wlel i luv going to the mall and th emovies with sam and chad and leslie I LUV U GUYZ!!!! and i luv going to the beach BTW BRAD IS HOT!!11!!!!!

Favourite quote:
EXCUZE ME SISTAH!!!!!

Rawwwrrr. :( Microsoft is the root of all evil. Comic Sans MS.... MSN... MSN profiles... MSNBC (wtf?)... Windows...

But I entirely agree. Comic Sans MS must die. As must all "script" fonts, like Lucida Handwriting. As must that terrible freeware font, Papyrus.

Good fonts:

Lucida Grande
Myriad Pro
Futura Bold
Century Gothic
Helvetica (trust me, it's actually a great font)

Also, I'm beginning to despise Verdana, another product of Microsoft, I believe, and Tahoma. Oh my goodness gracious. Yes, this forum uses Verdana. Change it.

tech4all
Aug 13, 2005, 09:05 PM
As must that terrible freeware font, Papyrus.

That's freeware? Came with my computer (didn't have to download it). But I actually have to say that Papyrus is a good font. Serves is purpose for headings and what not as it has an interesting look to it, IMO.

Lucida Grande

Especially when press Option, Shift, K in an application ;)

Helvetica (trust me, it's actually a great font)

Meh, still kind of a generic font and plain if you ask me. Sorta like Arial. It works, but it's usually the default font, at least with Quark.

dornoforpyros
Aug 13, 2005, 09:55 PM
but if we ban comic sans than what will my mother use for her christmas card!?!?!?!?! :rolleyes:

dornoforpyros
Aug 13, 2005, 09:57 PM
http://www.the-letterbox.com.au/images/mer_tsh_death01.gif

One day a co-worker for mine walks into our office "did you know helvetica nue isn't a web standard font?"

I wanted to slap her

Lacero
Aug 13, 2005, 10:08 PM
Helvetica Neue Ultralight is a great font. I use it all the time.

Jaffa Cake
Aug 14, 2005, 07:43 AM
Meh, still kind of a generic font and plain if you ask me. Sorta like Arial.Helvetica is a very nice typeface when it's used properly. Arial, on the other hand, is actually a Microsoft knock-off of Helvetica they saw something that worked well and put out their own poor, lesser quality version. Who would have thought Microsoft would do such a thing? ;)

When you know what you're looking at it's pretty easy to tell the two typefaces apart in fact, why not take the Helvetica vs Arial (http://www.iliveonyourvisits.com/helvetica/) taste test for yourself? I got ten out of ten and am a little too proud of the fact than is probably healthy. :p

cleanup
Aug 14, 2005, 02:14 PM
Helvetica is a very nice typeface when it's used properly. Arial, on the other hand, is actually a Microsoft knock-off of Helvetica they saw something that worked well and put out their own poor, lesser quality version. Who would have thought Microsoft would do such a thing? ;)

When you know what you're looking at it's pretty easy to tell the two typefaces apart in fact, why not take the Helvetica vs Arial (http://www.iliveonyourvisits.com/helvetica/) taste test for yourself? I got ten out of ten and am a little too proud of the fact than is probably healthy. :p

That test is bloody hard. I always thought Arial looked like a nice font, but now I know it's only because it's a rip-off of Helvetica. :)

GoCubsGo
Aug 14, 2005, 02:30 PM
Actually, comic sans is one font that you love to hate. I like it for casual writing---but I do not use it really. However, I despise seeing it in the workplace. When I get an e-mail that is supposed to be professional and I see those animated smiles and comic sans in purple colored font, I want to puke. I really don't take their e-mails all that seriously. Then again, last week a manager from another department e-mailed me and actually wrote "Can you run a report and give me the low-down on the cost of this? I think we need to nab this guy...LOL!"

I responded with, "usless LOL is level of loss please refrain from ending your requests in LOL, save that for AIM."

He didn't find me nearly as funny as I found myself.

Sirus The Virus
Aug 14, 2005, 02:42 PM
Comic Sans is the worst and most overused font. I can't stand it. Especially in any kind of printed document, Powerpoint, or Keynote presentation. It just looks plain awful in any and all applications.

rkyobo
Jul 20, 2009, 08:33 PM
Comic Sans is the BEST font for many reasons. It's exactly like manuscript printing, and is the easiest to read for people with dyslexia, like my husband. I use it for everything except school work. I would use it for that too, if I could get away with it. I have a Mac now, and am close to going back to a PC just to use Comic Sans! It's so stupid that they won't allow us to have it for Mac - really STUPID!!!!

GoCubsGo
Jul 20, 2009, 08:34 PM
Comic Sans is the BEST font for many reasons. It's exactly like manuscript printing, and is the easiest to read for people with dyslexia, like my husband. I use it for everything except school work. I would use it for that too, if I could get away with it. I have a Mac now, and am close to going back to a PC just to use Comic Sans! It's so stupid that they won't allow us to have it for Mac - really STUPID!!!!

Holy thread revival batman!

Now did you google "ban comic sans" and find this or something else?

Aperture
Jul 20, 2009, 09:33 PM

I'm not sure if you're joking, but you totally can get Comic Sans for the Mac. I think it comes with Office or you could buy it here (http://www.linotype.com/339949/comicsans-family.html#) (although, it's debatable as to whether you should :)).

oregon2
Jul 20, 2009, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure if you're joking, but you totally can get Comic Sans for the Mac. I think it comes with Office or you could buy it here (http://www.linotype.com/339949/comicsans-family.html#) (although, it's debatable as to whether you should :)).

did he not just type in comic sans? is he not using a mac? doesn't that mean he already has it?

Aperture
Jul 21, 2009, 10:56 AM
did he not just type in comic sans? is he not using a mac? doesn't that mean he already has it?

Isn't that just part of VBulletin?

no.1 Apple Fan
Jul 21, 2009, 05:17 PM
:eek:Wow, I never knew someone could feel so strongly about a font!

rebecca.x
Jul 22, 2009, 01:16 AM
Isn't that just part of VBulletin?

Yeah, but for him to be see the font on the forum, it needs to be installed on the machine, no?

Phormic
Jul 22, 2009, 01:17 AM
That test is bloody hard. I always thought Arial looked like a nice font, but now I know it's only because it's a rip-off of Helvetica. :)

Not only is it a rip-off. It's a really ugly and badly designed rip-off used because Microsoft didn't want to pay the licensing fee for Helvetica.

tweekskratch
Jul 22, 2009, 09:22 AM
Use of Comic Sans should be banned.

Cabbit
Jul 22, 2009, 09:47 AM
Try using a real font in a slightly larger size, instead. Should be easer to read (serif for paper, sans serif for screen as a thumb rule), too...

More advices/suggestions in the favorite fonts-thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=124521) or the readable font for articles-thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=131789).

Have to chip in here and say a sans serf font is better on both screen and paper as it is much easier for people with dyslexia to read.

poematik14
Jul 24, 2009, 05:12 PM

Helvetica is the best font ever conceived bro