Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brianmp007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
I know there are a million threads on this, but I have an interesting situation. I have a 2007 MacBook with an OSX and Windows partition. Every time I try to boot my OSX side I get stuck at a blue loading screen, but booting from the Windows partition causes no problems. I can access all my files on my OSX side through Windows without any issue. I booted in Single User Mode and reset the permissions, but that didn't work. Ive also reset the PRAM, NVRAM and SMU to no avail. I'm running Snow Leopard, but unfortunately cannot find my OSX disk. Is my hard drive a ticking time bomb (I replaced it less than a year ago) or is there anything I can do from my Windows partition to fix the problem?

Croox

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
Chicago Illinois
I had this problem my self. brought my macbook to the local apple store to figure things out (I thought it was an OSX problem) turns out it was a bad hard drive. If its convient, bring it in its free for them to look at it.

Brianmp007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
So I've obtained an OSX Lion disk and was wondering

1) If I try to update my OS from Snow Leopard to Lion and there is a hard drive issue, will I chance losing all my data/ corrupting the drive further?

2) Can I run Disk Utility from the Lion Disk to try and check the state of my hard drive? And if I can, what keys do I hold during start up to access it?

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Personally, the very first thing I would do is back up the data on that drive.
Just in case it is a failing disk.

After you know your data is safe, then I'd try playing around.

Yes, you can use the Lion disk utility to repair disk and repair permissions.

If your disk is dying, then doing anything to it will risk losing all of your data. That's why I'd do very little until I had back up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.