Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
I've an early to mid 2009 24inch iMac currently running Snow Leopard (all system updates installed to date).

Do I need to install Lion before installing Mountain Lion?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I've an early to mid 2009 24inch iMac currently running Snow Leopard (all system updates installed to date).

Do I need to install Lion before installing Mountain Lion?

No. You can download the developer preview, make yourself a recovery USB stick by "restoring" InstallESD.dmg to an 8 gig or larger USB stick formatted HFS+/GUID partition scheme, then boot to that stick by holding ctrl to install ML. I upgraded SL to ML using this method on my test machine and it worked just fine.

BTW, if you redeem a code for ML and the download fails b/c you aren't on a supported machine, don't panic. Simply log in to the app store on a supported Mac and download ML from "purchased items."

'Arry

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
No. You can download the developer preview, make yourself a recovery USB stick by "restoring" InstallESD.dmg to an 8 gig or larger USB stick formatted HFS+/GUID partition scheme, then boot to that stick by holding ctrl to install ML. I upgraded SL to ML using this method on my test machine and it worked just fine.

BTW, if you redeem a code for ML and the download fails b/c you aren't on a supported machine, don't panic. Simply log in to the app store on a supported Mac and download ML from "purchased items."
Thanks.

So currently, it is possible to go from SL to the Developer Preview of ML.

Is it known if it will be possible to go from SL to the commercial release of ML, "late summer"?

Is it possible that Apple might enforce a higher purchase price for SL users, via the App Store checking what version you currently have?

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks.

So currently, it is possible to go from SL to the Developer Preview of ML.

Is it known if it will be possible to go from SL to the commercial release of ML, "late summer"?

Is it possible that Apple might enforce a higher purchase price for SL users, via the App Store checking what version you currently have?

Anything is possible though that wasn't the case when Lion was released. Don't steal the developer preview and put it on your computer, just wait to buy it when it is released. There is absolutely no reason why you need Mountain Lion today unless you are a developer.

Dunmail

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Skipton, UK
Thanks for the replies.

The reason I asked is that our ADSL connection is rather slow (embarrassingly slow) though I've been doing some fettling (northern English word meaning tweaking things) about and it's getting better. We are far enough away from the BT exchange that we'll never get a good speed. So downloading 4Gb would have taken forever and I didn't want to have to do it twice.

Yes, I know I could head to the nearest Apple store and they'd do it for me but that store is fifty miles away and I spend my weekends out doing non-computer stuff if I can, and if the UK weather lets me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.