PDA

View Full Version : Publishing on Newsstand

HarryCJ
Mar 3, 2012, 12:05 PM
Hello everyone. Firstly, I want to thank you all, I've solved a lot of my problems from MacRumors forums. But this was a question specific to me, so I decided to drop in.

(sorry if this is not the right category for this type of question!)

So here's the scene. I want to know how can I get a magazine published in the iOS newsstand. How do I start?
I've done some research, and (I may be wrong, but) I think there are two approaches to this:
Coding/Programming the app (magazine)
OR
Designing the magazine

Now I must admit. I don't have much experience of programming, so I didn't do any research on it. I was thinking of going the other way, i.e. designing the magazine in digital form. Again, I came up with two choices:
iBooks Author
OR
Adobe Digital Publishing Suite (mainly, InDesign)

I planned to start with iBooks Author, and design a Magazine. But then, I came across the question: Can I publish an iBook to the iOS Newsstand? Or maybe if I can submit this Magazine-like iBook to the iBookstore. The answer to both these questions was NO (as far as I've searched).

So now I'm left with Adobe DPS, which I've yet to try.

After all this, I have only one question:

How do I design a magazine and get it up on the iOS newsstand (and preferably, add a monthly subscription to it, but that's another thing).

Help is much appreciated, thanks a lot :)

chenks
Mar 3, 2012, 12:58 PM
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3223102?start=0&tstart=0

HarryCJ
Mar 3, 2012, 01:52 PM
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3223102?start=0&tstart=0

Thanks for the reply. However, it was a part of the research I just mentioned :)

chenks
Mar 4, 2012, 08:13 AM
I was expecting a bit better response (sorry to do so). Where are all the helping members? :confused:

the link i posted gave you all the info you needed.
which part of the info in that link didn't you understand?

HarryCJ
Mar 4, 2012, 09:54 AM
the link i posted gave you all the info you needed.
which part of the info in that link didn't you understand?

Actually, it was helpful, no doubt. But I need a basic approach on how to start, That thread didn't give me much info, and all that I mentioned in the first post was a result of searching through thread like the one you linked to (and several other threads, blog posts, and stuff). Actually I want someone to answer the question I asked, i.e.

How do I design a magazine and get it up on the iOS newsstand

It includes 2 questions:
1. Designing the magazine (please tell me how to do that)
2. Submitting it to Apple (newsstand)

I have no problem with links that are relevant to either (or both) of these questions :)

Arelunde
Mar 4, 2012, 10:16 AM
Designing a magazine isn't something that can be answered in a forum. Those who do this sort of work usually have college degrees in graphics design and, nowadays, the art of designing electronic media is a whole new genre.

You best visit your local community college or university for this type of answer.

chenks
Mar 4, 2012, 11:21 AM
Actually, it was helpful, no doubt. But I need a basic approach on how to start, That thread didn't give me much info, and all that I mentioned in the first post was a result of searching through thread like the one you linked to (and several other threads, blog posts, and stuff). Actually I want someone to answer the question I asked, i.e.

How do I design a magazine and get it up on the iOS newsstand

It includes 2 questions:
1. Designing the magazine (please tell me how to do that)
2. Submitting it to Apple (newsstand)

I have no problem with links that are relevant to either (or both) of these questions :)

you want someone to tell you how to design a magazine? :rolleyes:

HarryCJ
Mar 6, 2012, 11:33 AM
you want someone to tell you how to design a magazine? :rolleyes:

Not exactly. Just asking for the software or utility to design a magazine which can be submitted to the iOS newsstand.