Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spookyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
Hi i just bought a used 2011 macbook air 11 inch that needs some repair. It has no ssd and didnt come with any installation cds. Is it possible to just buy a new ssd? what do i need to get it working?

Last edited:

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
What do you mean by "no hard drive"? The MacBook Air uses an SSD; do you mean the original owner took out the SSD drive? If so, you will have to buy a new one and install it yourself.

Lion does not come with installation CDs/flash drives, instead there is an online service that you can use to download the operating system.

spookyg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
yes i meant ssd lol....it has no ssd. So i'm planning to buy the new ssd, do i just download the mac osx lion from the website? and how would get it on my macbook air?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
my dad bought it from a computer store that sells used computers and parts. So i'm planning to buy a hard drive, can i purchase the mac osx lion and just install it on the new hard drive?

Okay, but know, that MBAs don't use standard SSDs, but custom made SSDs, which can be bought from OWC/MacSales here, and you could buy this to use as installer medium.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Most important question here should be: Why did you buy this? Was it because it was an extremly attractive price?

You should not buy any used equipment unless you can verify that thing works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.