PDA

View Full Version : [phones] Convert to android and loving it?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Delighted
Mar 3, 2012, 03:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would like to start by saying I am a huge Apple fan and that I do not either an Android nor an iPhone(or ANY smart phone for that matter).

I follow the MR forums a lot and for obvious reasons I see a lot of newly converted iPhone users. Many if not all really enjoy the iPhone and would never go back to their previous phone.

My question for you today: Are there any users who are reading this have used both android and iphone and actually miss the android more? or any android converters who are glad they made the switch?

(This is not a hating discussion, I would just like to see if there are actually any die-hard Apple fans out there who enjoy products like a smart phone from other companies besides apple)

Arnezie
Mar 3, 2012, 03:50 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

Delighted
Mar 3, 2012, 03:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

:confused::confused::confused:

sorry for the confusion, simply put I just want to see who uses and android phone and actually enjoys it more than an iPhone.

Shockwave78
Mar 3, 2012, 03:59 PM
I was an iphone user since they originally came out, got there new phones the first day they were available every year up until the 4s.

I was getting tired of the same look iOS since about the mid cycle of the 3gs..Was dissapointed that the 4 did not have major UI changes but the phone was great itself, far better than anything else out there all around so i stuck with it. Started getting really tired of iOS again a few months into the 4. Tried a couple android phones out and they lasted maybe 3hrs before i returned them. Horrible horrible lag, choppiness all around..Stuck with the 4 and hoped for the iphone 5 with a larger screen..

The iphone 4s comes out and i was extremely disapointed that they did not increase the screen size..i mean WTF :confused: .. Did not buy it.

Bought the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon on release day...loved it! Fresh change from iOS and started to fall in love with it. However battery life was horrible and i returned it a week later and bought the 4s..After getting the 4s home i was like wtf i sucked back into the iphone with its puny screen. All i could think about for the next week was the Gnex..Finally i gave in and returned the 4s and got the Gnex again. Battery life has been much better on this one, everyone told me I had dud on the first one which i believe now. The Gnex is lasted slight shorter than the 4s lasted for me.

All in all its getting to a point where Android is much more polished with ICS and there really is no extra learning or whatever when switching from ICS. It's very nice and I would say it is now on par with iOS.

Jb07
Mar 3, 2012, 04:05 PM
I used to have an iPhone but I got a SGS Captivate because of the bigger, SuperAMOLED screen, and I love it. I do plan on switching back to an iPhone next time I upgrade, but if it doesn’t have a larger screen, I will definitely get the SGS III.

lordofthereef
Mar 3, 2012, 04:12 PM
I will definitely get the SGS III.

If it looks anything like what the mockups show I will certainly consider this myself.

nerdpov
Mar 3, 2012, 04:43 PM
I went and tried Android twice, and I really don't understand what Android does better than the iPhone, aside from the larger screen.

SurferMan
Mar 3, 2012, 04:52 PM
Well I own both (actually not just the 4S but we kept the 3GS and 4 as backup), and I love the SGII, at least the AT&T version. And I was one of the ones who did not like Android before and would rag on friends buying them lol. For me it's just perfect overall, great size (4.3" screen in footprint barely larger then the iPhones), speed, screen, customizing (I jailbreak iPhones anyway lol) w/o even flashing a Rom etc. I love the way I have it setup right now with custom icons and Go launcher EX. Though I'll pry flash Hellraiser or something else soon just to play with.

I don't see myself going back unless the iPhone is beyond everything else, but the problem is, Android devices have made such huge improvements, I mean if they reached this level now... just imagine from this point on. Whereas before I would have never chosen an Android device over my iPhones.

Both are great phones, just depends on which you prefer and how tied into the ecosystem you are, in my case even though I have other Apple products and plenty of apps etc, the ecosystem doesn't mean anything to me. I mean I can sync everything fine across various devices (even Apple) with Android, and for the most part easier then iTunes setup. And for media, my setup on the PC at home for the home theater blows away what I'd be limited to on iTunes etc.

So it just depends. Nothing wrong with using either one.

lordofthereef
Mar 3, 2012, 04:53 PM
I went and tried Android twice, and I really don't understand what Android does better than the iPhone, aside from the larger screen.

The stock OS gives you all the choices in the world. Irrefutable, IMO.

Melcher70
Mar 3, 2012, 04:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; ADR6300 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I love Apple products, got hooked when I decided to buy an iMac instead of a new PC. I also own an AT 2 and an old iBook (someone was giving it away, I let my 6 yr olds play on it). I also plan on getting an iPad this year and wouldnt consider a different brand tablet.

All of that being said, I LOVE my Android phone. It's not cutting edge at all (original HTC incredible). I use a bunch of Google services and it ties in nicely to those, the navigation can't be beat, and its UI is pretty customizable without jailbreaking it. I occasionally have a minor bug, but for me its well worth the trade off.

ChazUK
Mar 3, 2012, 05:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; HTC; TITAN X310e))

I've been trying out all three platforms since the launches of iOS, Android and WP7.

I'm lucky enough to have owned multiple devices across all three platforms but (for now) I am primarily an Android user as my Nexus gets the most use followed by my Titan.

I'm more than willing to pop back into iOS in future (especially as it is far less iTunes dependant now with iOS 5).

We're very lucky to live in this smartphone era. There between iOS, Android and WP7 we have three incredibly good choices of platform.

engelke2010
Mar 3, 2012, 05:26 PM
I've been using iPhones for a couple of years now, having gone from the 3G to 4 and today I upgraded to the 4s. I've only had it a couple of hours but so far I don't really see the major difference between the 4 and 4s. I did take a look at some of the Androids at the AT&T store before I decided on the 4s. I might be returning this within the next week and trying out an Android. If I don't try the Android, I'll end up just returning the 4s and going back to the contract status I had before today.

DanBurns91
Mar 3, 2012, 05:34 PM
I previously was a BlackBerry user until i got my hands on the iPhone 3G, i upgraded to the 4 and was stupidly happy, now i have the 4s and again, very pleased, however, iOS is starting to bore me a little now, although it works perfectly i've been looking to jb it etc just to make a few changes and to keep it fresh. Once BlackBerry have QNX on their phones i'll seriously consider going back

techguy20
Mar 3, 2012, 05:51 PM
BlackBerry > iPhone user here. I've owned an Android previously as well.

Without a doubt, I prefer the iPhone in every way. :)

Apple...
Mar 3, 2012, 05:53 PM
BlackBerry > iPhone user here. I've owned an Android previously as well.

Without a doubt, I prefer the iPhone in every way. :)
I'm confused here: is > an arrow or a "greater than/less than" sign? :confused:

techguy20
Mar 3, 2012, 05:55 PM
I'm confused here: is > an arrow or a "greater than/less than" sign? :confused:

It's an arrow, haha. Sorry for the confusion.

In terms of greater than, I'd say iPhone > Android > BlackBerry > Windows Phone.

I've used them all, but last year, I officially became a BlackBerry to iPhone convert. (great decision, IMO) :D

Sdahe
Mar 3, 2012, 05:58 PM
It's funny how people come to a an iPhone forum to let everybody knows they change their iphone for an Android phone and now they are so happy... hahahaha

cotak
Mar 3, 2012, 06:02 PM
Yep got a Galaxy Nexus and loving it.

For me the biggest change is just how open the OS is out of the box. I think for the vast majority of people they would never need to root an Android phone out of the box to get features.

Features like being able to attach stuff inside a email you are writing is just common sense which android has. The ... menu is also a good thing that's common across most apps in android. The phone answering UI is nice with 3 options of answer, don't answer and don't answer and reply with text. Again a nice feature. As is the default to voicemail setting for people you don't want to talk to. Those are a few features that really are common sense things for smart phones but which haven't shown up in iOS yet.

ctbear
Mar 3, 2012, 06:26 PM
I did. I went from HTC Diamond 2 to Touch Pro 2. Then to Nexus One, 3GS, iPhone 4, Galaxy S2, iPhone 4S and finally to Galaxy Nexus.
I like to tinker with my things to my liking and really hate being spoon fed and told what I should do with my purchases. I kept jumping back and forth between Android and iOS because I really liked the slightly smoother experience iOS provides, but always wanted to go back to the Android world of freedom.
The Galaxy S2 is quite a bit faster and smoother than iP4 and 4S, but I got tempted by Siri :p Well Siri is quite gimmicky imo and didn't really help me much. So when the Nexus came out I quickly jumped ship and am happy since then. It is just as smooth and fast as the 4S, and being a Nexus I know I have full support from Google and dev community for at least a year (unlike the S2). ICS is a huge improvement in terms of consistent experience over all parts of the OS, so that's a plus. 4S has no real advantage over the Nexus so I don't see myself switching back at least until iPhone 5.
On a side note, my girlfriend is quite a tech illiterate and doesn't know/want to set her electronics up. I suggested the iPhone and she had been happy since then :)

TM WAZZA
Mar 3, 2012, 07:43 PM
Have tried before and went back to iPhone. Same with a guy I know who's now selling his Galaxy Nexus for an iPhone. If I had to convert it would be WP7.

thenerdal
Mar 4, 2012, 01:02 AM
wierd. DEJAVU! That is all.

DroidRules
Mar 4, 2012, 04:20 AM
I would like to start by saying I am a huge Apple fan and that I do not either an Android nor an iPhone(or ANY smart phone for that matter).

Kinda like the racist guy that has a "lot" of black friends.

I assume you meant to say you don't own either a droid/apple.

nuckinfutz
Mar 4, 2012, 04:42 AM
I like to rag on Android simply because it's fun competition and we all get better phones because of this competition.

He look at the bright side ...you could be a Blackberry owner and have their bleak future lol

Perhaps the "New" Apple will bestow upon us a larger iPhone. I'd be happy with a 4" iPhone. More room for goodies inside.

KingJosh
Mar 4, 2012, 04:56 AM
I just don't like the choppiness and lag in Android. I like the look of the galaxy nexus (finally they designed something on their own). I think iOS is boring as hell but I don't really care about smart phones so I don't care to switch to Android lol. I figure I hardly ever use my phone so may as well just stick to iOS and have tight integration with my mac. If I used my phone all the time I would seriously consider an Android phone though.

----------

It's funny how people come to a an iPhone forum to let everybody knows they change their iphone for an Android phone and now they are so happy... hahahaha

rofl I know. You what it is though. They want Apple to feel guilty and get sympathy from Apple. Too bad they write to the users instead of the creators lol

Fireblade
Mar 4, 2012, 08:35 AM
Had iPhones for about nearly 3years, the 3G, 3GS, and 4.

Switched to a Galaxy S2 in may 2011, and i am really loving Android/SGS2, never lookend back in this last 10 month.

Just waiting for the SGS 3, can`t imagine ever going back to IOS.

this providence
Mar 4, 2012, 09:16 AM
After being an Android user since the original Droid and having several other devices down the line, I made the switch to my 4S just a couple of months ago. I'm very pleased with that change.

With that said, I do have a Transformer on Android which I do get a ton of use out of. I put in a lot of time into tinkering with it and I have a blast doing so. It satisfies my inherit need to customized things to my liking. It's just a great device. I feel with a much larger screen and not being quite as dependent upon it like you would be a phone, a tablet lends itself to the Android OS much better. Whereas my iPhone is almost always dependable and swift. I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds.

Just my two cents. :D

flyguy206
Mar 4, 2012, 05:50 PM
Then why are you on a forum that is for iphones? Android users always come off as the little brother that is trying to outshine is big brother.

Vegastouch
Mar 4, 2012, 06:54 PM

If you just try it in the store for 15 minutes you certainly wont understand. Takes a good couple weeks to see all that Android can do. Now i really dont know how long you tried it, im just saying you have to give it a good try. It is different than iOS.

cotak
Mar 4, 2012, 08:08 PM
If you just try it in the store for 15 minutes you certainly wont understand. Takes a good couple weeks to see all that Android can do. Now i really dont know how long you tried it, im just saying you have to give it a good try. It is different than iOS.

It's entirely true that people need a bit more time to find out the good parts.

For me at first it was very strange because Android is a different OS. It's just like people going from Windows to OS X or the other way around. You need to figure out how to do certain things.

I can see that some people with closed minds or just likes the "regular thank you very much" would try android and because of the different UI dismiss it as too difficult to use. I see lots of people saying how iOS is just better because it just works or that it's easier to use. In reality I think while in some ways it might be true the differences isn't as much as people think. I mean I stop believing iOS is so easy "my grandmother can use an iphone/ipad without instruction" after seeing my mom use one for a year and never figuring out that you can swipe the screen to get another page of icons. It really isn't self explanatory for everyone.

So next time someone wants to try Android by all means do, and give it a bit of time and an open mind. You might be surprised.

mrsci
Mar 4, 2012, 08:21 PM
I just switched from an Android, and I really do not miss it. The iPhone is working great. The only feature I half way miss is the ability to block calls.

takeshi74
Mar 5, 2012, 09:57 AM
My question for you today: Are there any users who are reading this have used both android and iphone and actually miss the android more? or any android converters who are glad they made the switch?

Of course there are. It's a subjective matter. If they're currently using Android though then why would you expect them to be posting here? Hit an Android forum site if that's what you're looking for.

BiggAW
Mar 5, 2012, 10:24 AM
I'm a long-term iTunes and Apple user.

I got the SGS Captivate on AT&T, since I'm on the family plan that dates back from pre-Cingular times. At the time, it was the first decent Android phone on AT&T, and at the time, the iPhone was still a POS, with no notification system, I think they had just gotten the multitasking. It was a pretty buggy device itself, thanks to Samsuck, and I think I went through three of them (although admittedly, I am on my second iPhone 4S).

What I miss:
Native Google everything, including GMail
Full UI customizability, custom ROMs, UI kitchen
Handcent SMS

What I gained:
Ability to backup/restore and not have to reload every time I flash a ROM or get a new phone
iTunes integration
Combined iPod Touch and phone into one device
High quality hardware
Smaller device
Battery life

Overall, I'm very happy with the iPhone. I have it Jailbroken, and it just works. The Android phone was pretty buggy. The battery life and ability to backup/restore make it so much less of a hassle to own, and so much better to use.

All that being said, if I was on Verizon, I'd be on Android, since they don't have a high-end iPhone (no 4G LTE), and their DROID series is industry-leading.

I am probably going to pick up a bad-esn Nexus S 4G for development, so I'll get to play with ICS, which should be fun.

B777Forevar
Mar 5, 2012, 12:19 PM
I use both Android and iOS and I love both of them.

916Kev
Mar 5, 2012, 01:28 PM
Just converted to a galaxy nexus last week. Fell in love with ICS and love the screen size. Did pick up an extra battery as the screen and LTE really suck the juice. But I love it ;)

nerdpov
Mar 6, 2012, 06:27 PM

I had my first Android Phone (2.1 - HTC Legend) for a month. I then had my second Android phone (Nexus S) for another month.

sentinelsx
Mar 6, 2012, 07:10 PM
I must say the HTC One X is looking extremely tempting. I might as well get it.

Yeah yeah S3 will be out soon too but meh, samsung's phones drive me away the moment i handle them. I like HTC's skin and their designs/build. Plus now they are finally focusing on audio, camera and lighter skin. Just have to see how it does in terms of battery life.

WARSTIN
Mar 6, 2012, 07:52 PM
Currently own an iPhone 4, but the rumoured Samsung Galaxy S III interests me a great deal, and will likely be my next handset.

Invincibilizer
Mar 6, 2012, 07:59 PM
Most likely getting the Galaxy S2, I will update you guys on how it is once I get it.

Wide opeN
Mar 7, 2012, 11:01 AM
Being that data is the number one feature for me, this is what keeps me from seriously considering Android.

Believe it or not, the tap to return feature and smooth scrolling or lack thereof is why I end up returning Android everytime.

There simply aren't any browsers to match Safari on Android.

Other than that I do like Android.

Phil A.
Mar 7, 2012, 11:09 AM
I've had Smartphones for years and in that time I've used
Windows CE
Windows for Smartphones
Symbian
Android
iOS

Android definitely has some features that are better than iOS (such as attachments in email) but personally I prefer iOS over every other smartphone OS I've used. It certainly isn't perfect but IMO it's the best overall.
Of course, different people have different requirements and that's why it's good that choices exist :)

MacCurry
Mar 7, 2012, 11:39 AM
As of today I use an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus phone running ICS 4.0.3.

I was an original iPhone 16GB user and liked it very much and switched to Android in late 2008. Until recently, Android hardware, OS and software was lacking in my opinion. Now, in the last few months, it is comparable and with ICS 4.0, the user experience is superior to iOS 5.0.

I may switch back to the iPhone 5 if it has:

1. A larger high resolution screen at least 4.5" diagonal.
2. Built-in turn-by-turn voice navigation.
3. The ability to install a Google calender and contacts application.
4. Widgets and customized screen.

bigjim83
Mar 7, 2012, 05:20 PM
I love them both. Android was fun but got bored of all the flashing. Spent too much time messing with my phone and not enough time working lol,.

rjohnstone
Mar 7, 2012, 05:31 PM
I use both Android and iOS and I love both of them.
Now you just need a WP7 device. :D
I have a 3GS, Focus and a Skyrocket.
They all have their own unique qualities and I swap SIM cards between the Focus and the Skyrocket a lot.
The 3GS has been relegated to my work phone. Done all I can do with it, so I have it around for conference calls.
Having a voice only SIM provided by my company is great. No data plan to pay for. No data = long battery life. ;)

Lindenhurst
Mar 7, 2012, 06:15 PM

Just like how the Android users go on the Android forum and say they switched to iPhone..hahahahaha

----------

As of today I use an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus phone running ICS 4.0.3.

I was an original iPhone 16GB user and liked it very much and switched to Android in late 2008. Until recently, Android hardware, OS and software was lacking in my opinion. Now, in the last few months, it is comparable and with ICS 4.0, the user experience is superior to iOS 5.0.

I may switch back to the iPhone 5 if it has:

1. A larger high resolution screen at least 4.5" diagonal.
2. Built-in turn-by-turn voice navigation.
3. The ability to install a Google calender and contacts application.
4. Widgets and customized screen.

I too switched from IP4 to Galaxy Note and the turn by turn navigation saved me last night. Low on gas and lost, and it directed me to a gas station pronto.
The navigation on IP4 was useless, not to mention the screen was too damn small to see while driving.

----------

Ditto...3 weeks now on the Samsung Galaxy Note and I'm hooked.
Initially I was less than impressed with the OS, but now that I have it set up just the way I need it, I love it.

IOS is so easy to learn and when iPhone users go to the store and play with an Android phone for 5 minutes and say they didn't like it, they really didn't give themselves a chance to see what it it all about.

I have done that several times over the past couple years and this time the 5.3" screen was enough to get me to actually take one home and use it for a bit. My initial intent was to try it out for the 30 day trial period and to take it back if i didn't like it.
I'm not saying that I won't be watching for the next great iPhone this Fall though. If Apple surprises with a 4.5" screen or better, I'd try it out. Everything else in my house is Apple except the phones now.

BiggAW
Mar 7, 2012, 09:29 PM
I too switched from IP4 to Galaxy Note and the turn by turn navigation saved me last night. Low on gas and lost, and it directed me to a gas station pronto.
The navigation on IP4 was useless, not to mention the screen was too damn small to see while driving.

Ever heard of the TomTom app? It's fantastic. I'd say better than Google Maps turn-by-turn although, Google Maps has it's upsides as well.

Vegastouch
Mar 7, 2012, 09:35 PM
Ever heard of the TomTom app? It's fantastic. I'd say better than Google Maps turn-by-turn although, Google Maps has it's upsides as well.

Yeah like it is Free! Tom Tom is $50.00.

jeffe
Mar 8, 2012, 12:32 AM
I visit both this forum and Android forums. I've noticed that android gets brought up here all the time. However, visit an android forum (xda for instance) and you'll notice the iphone is rarely mentioned. I don't know what this means but it is still an interesting observation to me.

awtryau89
Mar 8, 2012, 07:59 AM
Like a previous poster, I have tried Android a couple of times. Basically I just purchase an Android phone off craigslist and drop my iPhone SIM into it. I like many things on Android but when it comes down to it, I just cannot stand the fluidity of the OS (or lack of it) compared to iOS. I have not tried ICS but have used a GSII rommed out to the nines and it just doesn't cut it. That plus battery life keeps me on iOS. That being said, I would be most happy with a larger screen on my iPhone. Knowing this I purchased an HTC Flyer 7in tablet. I hated it right off the bat because Honeycomb sucked so bad. I tried to sell it but on a whim I rooted and downgraded back to HTCs custom gingerbread rom. Now its like a 7in phone and I do like it. While its no iPad, I am not using it that way. I like the portability and tether it to my iPhone (yes I actually pay for tethering through AT&T) for use in my travels as a reader and a browser. Its actually nice to have flash in my browser on demand and IMO better than a Kindle or Nook because of the flexibility. That being said, scrolling is still under par and the fluidity is not what I would demand if I had more money in the device.

So, that is my experience. My advice is do not get sucked into the hype of Android unless you are going to commit to the platform and quit reading about Apple product. You would have to quit Apple cold turkey or you will just end up coming back. Trust me.

BiggAW
Mar 8, 2012, 10:55 AM

If you're cheap, go get a "free" Android phone. High-end consumers can spare $50 for a GPS app.

I visit both this forum and Android forums. I've noticed that android gets brought up here all the time. However, visit an android forum (xda for instance) and you'll notice the iphone is rarely mentioned. I don't know what this means but it is still an interesting observation to me.

That's interesting, but XDA has a sister iPhone developers site, and it's development oriented, not "what should I buy?" oriented. I wonder what some of the more user-centric forums look like?

However, I can say that surprisingly, I've seen a lot of Android-iPhone switches, and none the other way. It really surprised me that people bought the iPhone on Verizon when it was overshadowed by Verizon's multi-billion-dollar push to roll out 4G LTE on their precious upper C block.

cynics
Mar 8, 2012, 11:07 AM
If you're cheap, go get a "free" Android phone. High-end consumers can spare $50 for a GPS app.

That's interesting, but XDA has a sister iPhone developers site, and it's development oriented, not "what should I buy?" oriented. I wonder what some of the more user-centric forums look like?

However, I can say that surprisingly, I've seen a lot of Android-iPhone switches, and none the other way. It really surprised me that people bought the iPhone on Verizon when it was overshadowed by Verizon's multi-billion-dollar push to roll out 4G LTE on their precious upper C block.

There's always threads of iPhone converts on androidcentral. There's thread on here right now, not sure how you are missing them. I think on ac it doesn't look like as many because each android phone had its own forum so it just spreads them out.

I like and own them both so I'm always on both forums and notice them.

Jagardn
Mar 8, 2012, 11:20 AM

Free doesn't mean anything when your driving without signal and you get lost. I know you can download areas of the map, but that sucks when your in a different state every day of the week. $50...done.

Vegastouch
Mar 8, 2012, 10:34 PM

:rolleyes: Seriously? Why would ANYONE pay $50 for an app that is free if they could get it? You sure wouldnt if you could have Google Maps in the capacity that Android does and if your going to tell me you would, id say your lying. Google maps is pretty damn good and , did i mention it was free?

It has nothing to do with being cheap, it is just in an Androids users case,....senseless.
You look more and more like a Fayboy with each response.

Invincibilizer
Mar 8, 2012, 10:44 PM

So you are willing to toss money away that doesn't to be, in a recession economy.

Quite the genius mind you there...

/sarcasm

MacCurry
Mar 9, 2012, 11:27 AM
Free doesn't mean anything when your driving without signal and you get lost. I know you can download areas of the map, but that sucks when your in a different state every day of the week. $50...done.

Even if the $50 cost of the app may be acceptable to some, but I doubt Tom Tom can update road information as fast as Google. The better name for Tom Tom is Lost Lost.

GolferC
Mar 9, 2012, 11:34 AM
I would take the Galaxy Nexus over the 4S any day. I didn't think it would ever happen, but I am far happier with the screen size, 4G speed, and ICS operating system of the android Galaxy Nexus than I could be with the 4S.

Lindenhurst
Mar 9, 2012, 12:49 PM
:rolleyes: Seriously? Why would ANYONE pay $50 for an app that is free if they could get it? You sure wouldnt if you could have Google Maps in the capacity that Android does and if your going to tell me you would, id say your lying. Google maps is pretty damn good and , did i mention it was free?

It has nothing to do with being cheap, it is just in an Androids users case,....senseless.

Blinded by the Apple light he is!! He'd be the same guy who would bitch if the next iPhone cost $50 more to upgrade to..:D

----------

I would take the Galaxy Nexus over the 4S any day. I didn't think it would ever happen, but I am far happier with the screen size, 4G speed, and ICS operating system of the android Galaxy Nexus than I could be with the 4S.

Would you still do that if the iPhone had a screen the size of the Nexus?
My only reason for trying the Galaxy Note was the screen size, and as it turns out, I like the phone and sold my iPhone. I am not shutting the door on Apple, but I doubt they will do any better than a 4" screen in the Fall, and that wouldn't be enough to bring me back.

Smug Boy
Mar 9, 2012, 01:07 PM
I went from a Palm Pre to an HTC EVO 3D. The phone was very fast, the UI was a bit too sensitive and some of the Apps frequently crashed. But the biggest problem was that the reception was horrific. I returned it within 30 day, reactivated my Palm Pre and waited for the iPhone 4S to be released.

I have had my iPhone 4S since the original release date. The few apps that I use have never crashed and the phone is not over sensative like the HTC. The reception is probably the best that I have gotten in the past 12 years on any of my phones.

Is the iPhone 4S perfect? Of course not, but at the present time it seems to be the best option on the market.

I follow the MR forums a lot and for obvious reasons I see a lot of newly converted iPhone users. Many if not all really enjoy the iPhone and would never go back to their previous phone.

(This is not a hating discussion, I would just like to see if there are actually any die-hard Apple fans out there who enjoy products like a smart phone from other companies besides apple)

chakraj
Mar 9, 2012, 01:36 PM
Yep apples tiny screen lost me also, went from 4 gig 4s to Nexus and LTE and love it. I thought I may wait to see if the next iphone has a bigger screen, but I dont think they will break the 4inch mark, if they do come with a 4+ 1080p screen I may switch back.

aerok
Mar 10, 2012, 10:49 AM

I reall do not know whu you got downvoted for this post...

I'm one of those weird people that have to change often for variation. I do not have any preference over an OS. I often switch between Blackberry, Android and Iphone.

BiggAW
Mar 10, 2012, 12:00 PM

TomTom and Google Maps each have advantages. TomTom is a more full-featured piece of software, with integrated maps, and nice graphics to show lane changes. Google Maps offers the satellite overlay, is always updated, is easier to start using, and is free, but it's not as full-featured. TomTom is actually coming out with an Android app, which would be nirvana, as you could switch back and forth.

Exactly. I like the up-dateness of the Google Maps app on Android, but out in an EDGE area, loading it was rough. West Virginia would be hopeless, there's no service on any carrier in a lot of the state because of the NRQZ centered around Green Bank.

ECUSnare
Mar 10, 2012, 02:21 PM
I've had a few android phones (droid eris and original droid) as well as a blackberry tour. I like certain things from each of those (keyboard and push email on bb, open source and customization on android) but to me there has always been something that caused me to dislike. The main thing that sold me on the iPhone 4 is the app integration. It seems like the apps are written much better IMO and they don't crash nearly as much. I wouldn't mind trying the Galaxy Nexus or SGS2 but (1) I'm heavily invested in the apple ecosystem and (2) im not in a financially strong position where I can switch phones. Basically for me, it (iPhone) just works.

Vegastouch
Mar 10, 2012, 02:38 PM
I've had a few android phones (droid eris and original droid) as well as a blackberry tour. I like certain things from each of those (keyboard and push email on bb, open source and customization on android) but to me there has always been something that caused me to dislike. The main thing that sold me on the iPhone 4 is the app integration. It seems like the apps are written much better IMO and they don't crash nearly as much. I wouldn't mind trying the Galaxy Nexus or SGS2 but (1) I'm heavily invested in the apple ecosystem and (2) im not in a financially strong position where I can switch phones. Basically for me, it (iPhone) just works.

I always find this statement funny. Like Androids...dont work? ...LOL. Been almost two years and it's working fine for me. I just dont know what that statement means for those who say it.

If its a preference, just say that.

lordofthereef
Mar 10, 2012, 03:20 PM
I always find this statement funny. Like Androids...dont work? ...LOL. Been almost two years and it's working fine for me. I just dont know what that statement means for those who say it.

It's an Apple mantra that goes back to the mac v pc ads (maybe earlier, I didn't really follow it until then).

I like to say that is just works, except when it doesn't. And when it doesn't, there is no getting it to work unless Apple decides to make it so.

labman
Mar 10, 2012, 03:36 PM
TS glad you like your new phone! Different phone for different folks makes the world go round.

ECUSnare
Mar 10, 2012, 08:56 PM

I thought you would have understood it was a preference since the whole sentence reads "BASICALLY FOR ME it just works".

Vegastouch
Mar 10, 2012, 09:50 PM
I thought you would have understood it was a preference since the whole sentence reads "BASICALLY FOR ME it just works".

Yeah but that term is used a lot in here.

jeffe
Mar 11, 2012, 12:04 AM

XDA has general discussion forums. While it is true that the users of xda may be more technically inclined than the average user, they again rarely bring up the Iphone.

In the end - It is really hard to compare IOS vs Android as your Android experience can vary greatly depending on the device you use and your own ability. The main difference between Android and IOS is apple's ecosystem and marketing. They just make it simple and consistent. In terms of capabilities, the OS's have little differences.

Most complaints on Android really aren't about Android but rather the device or hardware itself.

Vegastouch
Mar 11, 2012, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Wonder no more. Here it is. http://androidforums.com/

sand_man
Mar 11, 2012, 12:45 AM
Went from a 3GS to HTC Desire and used the Desire pretty much exclusively until I got a 4 and more recently a 4s. HTC gathering dust.

Having said that I reckon the upcoming SGSIII could be something quite incredible.

As much as it pains me to say it the SGSII has been a remarkable success and is a very competent handset.

matttye
Mar 11, 2012, 01:08 AM
I love android but because I have an iPad I kinda want an iPhone so I only have to sync everything once and be able to use iCloud to its full potential.

However, I'm not rushing into anything because android phones are so much more capable. I'm trying to make sure there's nothing I'll miss too much if I make the switch! I rarely experience the lag that a lot of people describe when using android.

EazyWeazy3
Mar 11, 2012, 01:25 AM
I converted last year. Absolutely love it. Had all iphones and went from the 4 to a Motorola Atrix to an International Galaxy S II and now a Galaxy Note. I have no want or need to go back to iphone.

-- Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

Lindenhurst
Mar 13, 2012, 07:18 AM
I converted last year. Absolutely love it. Had all iphones and went from the 4 to a Motorola Atrix to an International Galaxy S II and now a Galaxy Note. I have no want or need to go back to iphone.

Ditto to that!

-aggie-
Mar 13, 2012, 07:49 AM
It's nice to know if I ever decide to get an Android phone, I need only visit the iPhone forums.

:rolleyes:

sentinelsx
Mar 13, 2012, 12:16 PM

I gotta say, after actually seeing a galaxy note in public i am trying to stop myself from buying one! That screen and real estate is gorgeous. What's funny is people keep saying its huge but i don't think it is THAT huge. The guy was also making a call on his and i didn't think it looked ridiculous at all. Looked a tad bigger than most blackberries people use all the time. But nothing as bad as many people here make it out to be. The form factor is great once you actually see it.

cynics
Mar 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
It's nice to know if I ever decide to get an Android phone, I need only visit the iPhone forums.

:rolleyes:

Amen.....I used to frequent Abdroidcentral a lot but I get my android fill here.

-A-P-M-
Mar 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
I traded 3GS for HTC Desire 2 years ago because I was bored with iPhone. Last June I bought Samsung Galaxy S2. It was great phone, I didn't consider iPhone 4 or 4S later. But last week I become bored with Android, also at that time Samsung still didn't updated to Ice Cream Sandwich and custom ICS roms were ok, but they had bugs. Samsung didn't reveal Source code, so developers can't fix all bugs. I had CyanogenMod, which is IMO much better than stock rom. Because Samsung didn't reveal source codes and Cyanogen couldn't be finnished, I sold SGS2 and bought iPhone 4S. So far, I love it and I don't regret at all. Everything works great and smooth, and also battery life is good too (despite Im still on 5.0.1 because of JB). I won't consider Samsung Galaxy S3, because Samsung is too slow with updates and they don't give enough support to developers.

I will enjoy my iPhone 4S until fall this year, and then I will decide between iPhone 4S successor and Galaxy Nexus successor - for sure both will be great.

b24pgg
Mar 13, 2012, 02:30 PM
Wow. Could you be any more condescending?

PhoneI
Mar 13, 2012, 03:24 PM
with iOS5, I can't really think of one thing I really want on my iPhone that I do not have. It just works for me. Don't care about useless widgets or OS "openness". My iPhone is a near perfect device for calls, messages, music, games and camera. Plus, its tied to the best ecosystem around. No desire to ever look at Android again.

I for one hope apple keeps the iPhone 5 screen size the same. I love the small form factor. If I have a need for a bigger screen, I will reach for my "all new iPad".

eikast
Mar 13, 2012, 04:39 PM
I tried out the galaxy nexus and htc Rezound. In the end I missed using an iPhone so I got another 4S for Verizon.

BiggAW
Mar 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
Wow. Could you be any more condescending?

I'm sorry I've owned and used both.

I for one hope apple keeps the iPhone 5 screen size the same. I love the small form factor. If I have a need for a bigger screen, I will reach for my "all new iPad".

Exactly.

Lindenhurst
Mar 13, 2012, 09:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I have had it almost a month now and really like it. It fits in my pockets just fine and now it doesn't even feel big when I'm holding it. Guess I got used to it.

ToddH
Mar 13, 2012, 10:28 PM
Glad you like it....I'm staying with apple. None of the other android phones have a good camera in them. Compared to the 4s, they are quite a bit behind in quality. As a photographer, I can tell the difference. Plus the android screens I've seen had a green tint and the white balance was way off. I personally think android sucks. Android software is just too choppy and lags quite a bit. They also are all made of plastic and very little metal, too cheap feeling to me. I like a phone with some weight and heft....yes I like them heavy. Enjoy your droid.

EazyWeazy3
Mar 13, 2012, 11:03 PM
Glad you like it....I'm staying with apple. None of the other android phones have a good camera in them. Compared to the 4s, they are quite a bit behind in quality. As a photographer, I can tell the difference. Plus the android screens I've seen had a green tint and the white balance was way off. I personally think android sucks. Android software is just too choppy and lags quite a bit. They also are all made of plastic and very little metal, too cheap feeling to me. I like a phone with some weight and heft....yes I like them heavy. Enjoy your droid.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. The 4S camera is nice, yes. But Samsung and even Nokia for that matter have some damn good cameras on them.

SurferMan
Mar 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
Glad you like it....I'm staying with apple. None of the other android phones have a good camera in them. Compared to the 4s, they are quite a bit behind in quality. As a photographer, I can tell the difference. Plus the android screens I've seen had a green tint and the white balance was way off. I personally think android sucks. Android software is just too choppy and lags quite a bit. They also are all made of plastic and very little metal, too cheap feeling to me. I like a phone with some weight and heft....yes I like them heavy. Enjoy your droid.Part of one of my business' I own is in graphics and being I own both a 4S and SGII , their both extremely close, each has an advantage in certain situations for the cameras. Both take extremely sharp photos for a cam, but not even remotely close to replacing a good camera, I don't know any pro photographer that use any phone for their work. Plus there are app's to adjust on Android like screen adjuster if someone doesn't want the vivid color's and sat of the stock settings. The only advantage the 4S has is a very slight one in dim settings w/o flash and it focuses slightly quicker.

Green tint? No green tint here, some have, they took back the phones and the replacements were fine. Now why does that sound familiar? Oh yeh, look at all the threads on here about the 4S colors being anywhere from tinted blue to yellowish or off-white.... I know b/c I took back our first 4S that never lost it's yellowish look and the new one is better but still looks like an off white tint.

I don't know what lag and and choppy-ness you or others talk about. I swipe left or right nothing but smoothess, swipe up for multi home screens nothing but smoothness, click nothing but smoothness, same for going through menu's. Not a single hint of lag or chop, just fast and smooth.

The whole build quality could go either way, personally I love having a phone now that I don't worry about, it's been dropped a few times more so by the lunatic dogs running around. Not a single scratch or crack. Sure the iPhones have the glass and metal and it feels better but its harder to grip, and what's the point when there's zilch durability if you drop from even 10 inches lol. Or have a case on it, no sense in gloating about glass and metal (not meaning you directly) when there's a case covering it lol. Be like telling everyone you have the hottest f'n woman around, yet make her wear granny panties/sweats/sweatshirt when going out http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/biggrin.gif . It's like a motorcycle, it's not if you drop, it's when.

Lindenhurst
Mar 14, 2012, 08:28 AM

Not sure about the camers in the 4s, but my Note takes better pics than my IP4 did. And as far as build quality, the Galaxy Note feels solid, not cheap. I'll admit that there have been and still are some lower end Android devices that are cheaply made, but there is a phone for every budget. I do not see any green tint here either. Also, my Note does not lagg at all. I have tried some Androids in the past that did, but this one doesn't.
I too was an Apple fan that was convinced that I would never leave the Iphone, which was an excellent device, but I simply wanted a larger screen. The Note screen was big enough to lure me in for a try. Once I did, I was hooked. After using this device, I would never go back to a screen the size of the Iphone's screen. It's a very capable phone that does everything for me that the Iphone did. It is a bit more complicated than IOS, so the Iphone is probably better for someone who simply wants it to work and doesn't care about customizing it. I went the jailbreaking route with the Iphone, and that was fun, but it did cause the phone to lagg a bit for me. I know some say theirs did not lag after jailbreaking, but mine did. Not much, just a little.
I'll be watching this Fall to see what Apple releases as far as the new Iphone goes, but unless it is a screen of 4.5", I won't be considering it.
I think the other reason I changed phones is the fact that I had an Iphone for a few years now and i just wanted something different. Change is good sometimes.
What I can't understand is how some on this forum would never even consider another device, and they would just blindly accept whatever Apple puts out. Strange!!
I remember when Blackberry was all the rage. Things can and do change sometimes.

-aggie-
Mar 14, 2012, 09:18 AM
^^^^^
So, you had an iPhone 4 and got the Galaxy Note. I'd be interested to know what kind of battery life you got with strictly browsing. For example, the 4 gets 6 hours, give or take, when browsing. I've seen reviews that state the Note only gets 4 hours. True?

Lindenhurst
Mar 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
^^^^^
So, you had an iPhone 4 and got the Galaxy Note. I'd be interested to know what kind of battery life you got with strictly browsing. For example, the 4 gets 6 hours, give or take, when browsing. I've seen reviews that state the Note only gets 4 hours. True?

I've never actually timed it but it seems about the same as my IP4. It could be a bit less, but I don't spend hours on it browsing. I did buy a couple spare batteries for myself and my kids, and I keep 1 in my wallet for when I am out. Being able to swap out a battery is nice.

-aggie-
Mar 14, 2012, 09:49 AM
I've never actually timed it but it seems about the same as my IP4. It could be a bit less, but I don't spend hours on it browsing. I did buy a couple spare batteries for myself and my kids, and I keep 1 in my wallet for when I am out. Being able to swap out a battery is nice.

If I can save searching, how much do the batteries cost? How long to charge?

That was one feature (not having a replaceable battery) I never liked about the iPhone, but mentioning that on this site is a waste of time, since you're beaten down by the fanboys, who say the phone is perfect as it is. Also, since I don't have the eyesight I had when I was younger, I'd like to have a bigger screen. I'm up for an upgrade, and I don't know if I can continue to wait for the iPhone 5, if it's just going to be a small step up from the 4S with the same form factor.

EazyWeazy3
Mar 14, 2012, 09:49 AM
^^^^^

I take my Note off the charger around 7am and by around 9-10pm I'll receive a message saying low battery, connect to charger. Once that comes on I still have about another 30-45 minutes depending on what I'm doing before it dies or I plug it back in.

That's with moderate to heavy usage. Text, whatsapp, email, twitter, Webstagram, Google Reader and tapatalk. Since I'm in school I go from using it a lot(no class) to not using it(in class).

I've never just browsed on it. I'm always doing something else so you may have to look to tech writers and read reviews and see if anyone has done a battery test based solely on Web browsing.

Lindenhurst
Mar 14, 2012, 10:02 AM
If I can save searching, how much do the batteries cost? How long to charge?

That was one feature (not having a replaceable battery) I never liked about the iPhone, but mentioning that on this site is a waste of time, since you're beaten down by the fanboys, who say the phone is perfect as it is. Also, since I don't have the eyesight I had when I was younger, I'd like to have a bigger screen. I'm up for an upgrade, and I don't know if I can continue to wait for the iPhone 5, if it's just going to be a small step up from the 4S with the same form factor.

On Amazon I purchased a Samsung Desktop dock and battery charger which came with an Original Samsung battery for $29.00. I also bought 2 separate batteries for $11.00 each. They are Anker batteries, and so far work fine. Not a fan of non OEM batteries, so the charger and battery is probably better over the long run. Avoid the ATT store. Everything there is much more expensive.

Im 50 and wanted a bigger screen to view without having to wear my glasses. I still wear them though because4 even though everything is bigger, it is still not clear to me without glasses.
My wife still has her iPhone and is waiting until the IP5. She is a non tech person who after 1 1/2 years finally knows how to use her iPhone, and absolutely will not change devices now to have to relearn a new OS.

You have a 30 day tryout period, so it may be worth a shot for you. The Att store charges a $35.00 return fee if you return it. I'm not sure whether Amazon charges any return fee. If you do try it out give it some time. My 30 day trial period is up in a few days, but after a week of having the phone, i decided I wasn't returning it.

Also, don't believe all the stuff about Android phones not fitting into the Apple ecosystem. I sync my music with Google music manager, which syncs with y iTunes library. My calendar syncs with Ical on my Mac. And I can sync my pictures with iPhoto on my Mac. Other than Airplay, it does everything i need it to.

iBlue
Mar 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
All the downvotes for a legit question/discussion topic. :rolleyes: Ironically the "think different" crowd can have trouble thinking outside the apple box.

When the iPhone first came out I couldn't justify the purchase for the [lack of] functionality it had. It didn't even let you copy and paste. I have very little patience for the slow roll-out of key features. You know, the little game tech companies play with us where they know they can give you options but they wait until another revision to claw in a few more awed takers. I understand (it's business) but I'm not one to thank someone for doing what they probably should have done in the first place. So I passed on the iPhone until it could sufficiently geek-arouse me the way macs have done over the years.

When I finally fell into the never-go-back of the smartphone existence I got an android. I upgraded to another android as well because it gave me the functionality I was looking for. THEN the 4S came out and I was sufficiently geek-aroused. I can't imagine I'll go back to android really but both platforms have merit and have their pros and cons.

I don't get the "NO, MY CHOICE IN TECH IS BEST" arguments. Gadgets aren't one-size-fits-all.

beret9987
Mar 14, 2012, 11:46 AM
If iOS gave me access to a filesystem, I would LOVE that. My biggest gripe with it is that if I write a paper on my iPad or even my iPhone, I gotta Dropbox it, then get to a computer to upload it to my school's course dropbox. I enjoyed the fact I had such freedom on Android. Other than that.. I'm pretty happy with iOS. It fits my needs for now, just that one nagging bit.

nefan65
Mar 14, 2012, 12:27 PM

I think the argument is that TomTom, and I believe Navigon [Garmin] downloads the maps to the phone. Whereas Google is using your signal. So if you lose signal, or have any lag updating maps, you're screwed. I happen to think that spending $50 is pretty cheap for that guarantee of having the latest map on your phone, regardless of coverage. Especially if you travel frequently.

In that case; ya, cheap/free isn't always best.

----------

That's very nice! I'm proud of ya...

rjohnstone
Mar 14, 2012, 01:20 PM
I think the argument is that TomTom, and I believe Navigon [Garmin] downloads the maps to the phone. Whereas Google is using your signal. So if you lose signal, or have any lag updating maps, you're screwed. I happen to think that spending $50 is pretty cheap for that guarantee of having the latest map on your phone, regardless of coverage. Especially if you travel frequently.

In that case; ya, cheap/free isn't always best.

Google Maps does do map caching. It caches map images within a 10 mile radius of your location in the event you lose your cell signal. Not perfect, but it's better than the old way.
You can also go into the labs section of the app and pre-cache a map of an area you're going to via the Places page.

The issue with Tom Tom and Navigon is the map data takes up a lot of storage space.

SurferMan
Mar 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
If iOS gave me access to a filesystem, I would LOVE that. My biggest gripe with it is that if I write a paper on my iPad or even my iPhone, I gotta Dropbox it, then get to a computer to upload it to my school's course dropbox. I enjoyed the fact I had such freedom on Android. Other than that.. I'm pretty happy with iOS. It fits my needs for now, just that one nagging bit.Yeh being able to access files for me, especially for multiple business and doing what I want it to do is a big thing I love with Android, and being able to mount it and do whatever quickly and unmount w/o dealing with iTunes or its quirkiness. But if you jailbreak your phone you can install iFile which I have on the iPhones except for the 4 which works similarly.

Not really, I've driven through the boonies like heading through N.C. and didn't have a problem with Google Nav as GPS is still active even if you do loose signal and it has the caching, but even in spotty areas like through the mountains I didn't have a problem even when it went on and off on edge a few times as AT&T doesn't have the coverage or towers that Sprint or Verizon do there. It uses vector graphics which isn't intensive or data heavy, reason why it works well even on edge.

archipellago
Mar 14, 2012, 06:29 PM

Factually...on the app crash bit..you are 100% wrong.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/06/ios_apps_crash_more/

jules.vincent
Mar 14, 2012, 07:23 PM
I just switched from an Android, and I really do not miss it. The iPhone is working great. The only feature I half way miss is the ability to block calls.

Don't know if anyone answered this one yet, but you can block calls by pressing the sleep button twice.

cynics
Mar 14, 2012, 07:48 PM
Factually...on the app crash bit..you are 100% wrong.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/06/ios_apps_crash_more/

While I'm an android fan and have a xoom and razr I feel like apps do crash a bit more (not an enormous amount more but more) then iOS apps. Interesting link thanks for posting it.

DDustiNN
Mar 14, 2012, 08:21 PM
The only thing I miss from my Android phones is Google Navigation.

That app is just unmatched, and I really wish they'd release an iPhone version. I mean, the stock Maps app is Google... you can search, get directions, etc... but I want the GPS navigation functionality. It was great.

What I do now is search in Maps, then copy/paste the address into MapQuest (chosen since it's free), and use the navigation there. It's not bad, but not nearly as good as Google's Android app.

onthecouchagain
Mar 15, 2012, 07:33 AM
Personally, I don't know how anyone who texts or emails a lot can live with iOS' keyboard. It often misses keys (as in unregistered taps), autocorrection is often off, there's no suggestion bar, and no long pressing for secondary keys, etc. The keyboard is so poor that it's given rise to numerous websites that make fun of ridiculous and unintended autocorrections.

ICS' keyboard is now leagues ahead of iOS'. The autocorrection is phenomenal, it's more responsive (hardly ever misses taps), and little features like auto-separating typos (e.g. accidentally hitting the 'b' button instead of the spacebar when typing two words: "hibthere" will auto correct to "hi there") just makes the keyboard feel smarter and more user friendly.

There are things I miss about my iPhone, but as someone who emails and texts a lot, the switch to ICS was logical. I'm keeping a keen eye on iOS 6, and hoping improvements will finally be made to the keyboard.

DDustiNN
Mar 15, 2012, 09:39 AM
Personally, I don't know how anyone who texts or emails a lot can live with iOS' keyboard. It often misses keys (as in unregistered taps), autocorrection is often off, there's no suggestion bar, and no long pressing for secondary keys, etc. The keyboard is so poor that it's given rise to numerous websites that make fun of ridiculous and unintended autocorrections.

ICS' keyboard is now leagues ahead of iOS'. The autocorrection is phenomenal, it's more responsive (hardly ever misses taps), and little features like auto-separating typos (e.g. accidentally hitting the 'b' button instead of the spacebar when typing two words: "hibthere" will auto correct to "hi there") just makes the keyboard feel smarter and more user friendly.

There are things I miss about my iPhone, but as someone who emails and texts a lot, the switch to ICS was logical. I'm keeping a keen eye on iOS 6, and hoping improvements will finally be made to the keyboard.

iOS keyboard does the auto-separate thing you mentioned. Mine does it all the time, in fact.

However, I do miss the longpress from Android, for quick ? and ! typing, as well as numbers. But on my iPhone, I've found that you can press the "123" key, which instantly changes the keyboard to numbers and charactes, then you just drag to your desired key and release. It will type whatever number/character you released from, and automatically switch back to the letters layout. It can actually be faster than Android's longpress, since it's just a quick swipe with no waiting.

ABadSanta
Mar 15, 2012, 10:34 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; ADR6300 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I love Apple products, got hooked when I decided to buy an iMac instead of a new PC. I also own an AT 2 and an old iBook (someone was giving it away, I let my 6 yr olds play on it). I also plan on getting an iPad this year and wouldnt consider a different brand tablet.

All of that being said, I LOVE my Android phone. It's not cutting edge at all (original HTC incredible). I use a bunch of Google services and it ties in nicely to those, the navigation can't be beat, and its UI is pretty customizable without jailbreaking it. I occasionally have a minor bug, but for me its well worth the trade off.

I had the same phone. Did you get it when it came out in 2010?

onthecouchagain
Mar 15, 2012, 02:18 PM
iOS keyboard does the auto-separate thing you mentioned. Mine does it all the time, in fact.

Does it separate words that are stuck together? For example "likethis" will autocorrect to "like this" on ICS. I remember iOS doing one or the other, but not both stuck words and accidental-space words ("likebthis"). I don't quite remember which.

More importantly to me, though, is that the iOS keyboard does not keep up with the speed at which I thumb. Writing even a simple email or text was too frustrating for me. Again, we need only look at the slew of websites dedicated to iPhone autocorrect failures to recognize this isn't an isolated experience.

----------

However, I do miss the longpress from Android, for quick ? and ! typing, as well as numbers. But on my iPhone, I've found that you can press the "123" key, which instantly changes the keyboard to numbers and charactes, then you just drag to your desired key and release. It will type whatever number/character you released from, and automatically switch back to the letters layout. It can actually be faster than Android's longpress, since it's just a quick swipe with no waiting.

The same can be done with ICS keyboard. Users have the option to long press or switch to the secondary keyboard.

-aggie-
Mar 15, 2012, 03:06 PM
Believe it or not, I had actually been considering getting a Note after all the hype, but after a lot of research, I'm seeing MANY people stating the battery is great (they get 14 hours or so of "use"). However, when you look at the stats they post (Androids do have a cool app for the battery usage), they're only getting 3 hours of "screen use," and they think that's great?! That's pretty pathetic, IMO. The same could be said for the Galaxy S2, which was also one I considered....no more than 3 hours of screen use. So, it looks like the reviews stating you can't browse much more than 3 hours are accurate.

SurferMan
Mar 15, 2012, 03:53 PM
Believe it or not, I had actually been considering getting a Note after all the hype, but after a lot of research, I'm seeing MANY people stating the battery is great (they get 14 hours or so of "use"). However, when you look at the stats they post (Androids do have a cool app for the battery usage), they're only getting 3 hours of "screen use," and they think that's great?! That's pretty pathetic, IMO. The same could be said for the Galaxy S2, which was also one I considered....no more than 3 hours of screen use. So, it looks like the reviews stating you can't browse much more than 3 hours are accurate.Depends (setup, settings, use, if they have tons of widget running etc), I don't know about the Note, but we use our phones heavily from browsing/talking/texting/emails etc... same use, I'd rank ours as 4 > SGII > 4S for battery life during use.

-aggie-
Mar 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
I've got to laugh at whoever downgraded my post above. All I did was go to the battery life threads of the several Android forums out there. If you've got evidence those threads are inaccurate, please respond like the poster above me. I've never liked the size of the iPhone, but I'm not going to deal with 3 hours of battery life, UNLESS I decide to carry an extra battery (another peeve I have with the iPhone...no replaceable battery).

BTW, it was enlightening to see there weren't "I've Got the iPhone 4" or "I'm Leaving the Samsung/HTC/Other Android" threads in those forums.

cynics
Mar 15, 2012, 05:54 PM
I've got to laugh at whoever downgraded my post above. All I did was go to the battery life threads of the several Android forums out there. If you've got evidence those threads are inaccurate, please respond like the poster above me. I've never liked the size of the iPhone, but I'm not going to deal with 3 hours of battery life, UNLESS I decide to carry an extra battery (another peeve I have with the iPhone...no replaceable battery).

BTW, it was enlightening to see there weren't "I've Got the iPhone 4" or "I'm Leaving the Samsung/HTC/Other Android" threads in those forums.

I noticed people down rate a lot when someone claims something so matter of factly but doesnt post links or pics. Especially if you say it had 3 hours of screen use. We all know it shows time and then each individual think like screen on is a percentage. So unless it was 100% screen use with 3 hours and the battery was about to die its impossible to know that without guessing quite a bit.

http://img.tapatalk.com/6c0f4760-7276-a9bd.jpg

That's not a notes battery just an example of the display.

rjohnstone
Mar 15, 2012, 06:01 PM
For what it's worth, my last battery stat is 8 hours 6 minutes with a little over 4 hours of screen on time (52% of total battery time) and I'm sitting at 57% battery. Pretty typical day for me.
This is on my Skyrocket with the LTE radio on. (I never turn it off as I have no WiFi at work)

Lindenhurst
Mar 15, 2012, 07:16 PM
I guess there is no such thing as a "typical" day when discussing battery usage. Some will use their phone a lot more than others. I too have seen the posts claiming 14 hours on battery, and doubt those very much unless they are talking about not using their phones at all except to answer calls.

My opinion is that my Note lasts about as long as my IP4 did, maybe a little less, but it's hard to say because after a couple of years with iPhones, I didn't do too much with the phone other than the basic stuff.

Battery life is not an issue at all for me because I carry a spare charged battery in my wallet.

Comparing battery life between a phone with no replaceable battery and a phone with one just isn't worth the time.

tanboom
Mar 15, 2012, 07:49 PM
Recently, I am using galaxy note. I am quite happy and never miss iphone. If I keep the iphone app store aside, galaxy note is years ahead if not decade. :p

-aggie-
Mar 15, 2012, 09:34 PM
You want links, I got links:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note/515571-amazing-battery-life-really.html#post4074637

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-t/470000-2-3-6-battery-life-sucks.html#post3744558

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-skyrocket/495361-wow-5-hour-battery-life.html#post3920240

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note/502947-battery-performance-wow.html#post4039232

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-galaxy-note-battery-life-test-over-matches-the-nokia-n9/

The last link is what concerned me the most, and I saw results like this elsewhere. Like I said, I saw people claiming their battery lasted the whole day, but then their screen usage was some small number, like 30%.

onthecouchagain
Mar 15, 2012, 10:05 PM
As a current Nexus S owner, my sentiments are more or less in line with this article: http://androidandme.com/2012/03/opinions/inconsistent-updates-bugs-and-not-a-word-of-support-why-should-i-buy-a-nexus-device-again/

A little more info:
I'm also a former Blackberry and former brief iPhone user. And honestly, I have/had plenty of complaints to go around with all that I've used, included Nexus S and ICS.

I'm keeping a close eye on iOS 6 and the future Nexus/Jelly Bean device. I'm really hoping one or the other will solve the different woes that have with both respective OS-es.

feleciadenise
Mar 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
Went from 3 past Android phones (Droid, Droid X and Droid 2) and Blackberry (Storm)...then stopped being an IPHONE hater and got one...I think it's the best phone ever...however I wish I wouldn't have updated it so I could unlock it and personalize it more. That's the only thing I miss with Android phones. I just turned on my Samsung Galaxy S Sprint phone to take pics and sell on Craigslist..while the screen was larger and bright...it seemed too bulky in my hands.

Edited to add...Plus the battery life was AWFUL...AWFUL on all 3 Android phones

patent10021
Mar 15, 2012, 10:44 PM
McDonalds has the same slogan. Lovin' It.

McDonalds is sheit.

DDustiNN
Mar 15, 2012, 11:46 PM
Does it separate words that are stuck together? For example "likethis" will autocorrect to "like this" on ICS. I remember iOS doing one or the other, but not both stuck words and accidental-space words ("likebthis"). I don't quite remember which.

More importantly to me, though, is that the iOS keyboard does not keep up with the speed at which I thumb. Writing even a simple email or text was too frustrating for me. Again, we need only look at the slew of websites dedicated to iPhone autocorrect failures to recognize this isn't an isolated experience.

----------

The same can be done with ICS keyboard. Users have the option to long press or switch to the secondary keyboard.

Yes iOS does separate double words, just checked. I guess I never really noticed, heh. I don't even remember how the Android did it, but I did find the suggestion bar to be helpful sometimes.

My Android was an HTC which has a different keyboard than stock Android, but when I switched to iPhone I actually felt like I typed faster for some reason. I only use one thumb and in portrait mode, but I can type pretty damn fast like that... people tend to comment on it a lot for some reason, haha.

How is the new ICS keyboard different? I greatly preferred the HTC_IME keyboard over the stock one, but I haven't seen the new one of course.

onthecouchagain
Mar 16, 2012, 07:26 AM
How is the new ICS keyboard different? I greatly preferred the HTC_IME keyboard over the stock one, but I haven't seen the new one of course.

Give it a shot on a Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus. It's quite impressive how responsive it is. It can keep up with fast two-finger thumbing, hardly ever missing presses -- it's actually very rare to see a missed key. The autocorrection is the best I've seen and the suggestion bar and edit features are intuitive. I will say, however, that its cursor system is still a tad flaky; nothing beats iOS' magnifying glass.

-aggie-
Mar 16, 2012, 07:34 AM
More links:

This one shows the Note lasting 250 minutes, compared to 302 minutes for the iPhone 3G:

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-Review-/?page=4

This link shows the S2 (at a whopping 503 minutes!) far exceeding the iPhone 3G (at 302 minutes):

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-S-II-Smartphone-Review/?page=4

Engadget review of the S2...no browsing test, but did do a test of video only:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/30/atandt-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-review/

S2 (264 mins....1/2 of what hothardware got) and Note (215 mins) versus the iPhone 4S (416 mins):

http://blog.gsmarena.com/our-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-battery-life-test-is-complete-check-out-how-it-did-test/

jeffe
Mar 17, 2012, 12:40 PM
It's important to note how widely battery life can vary greatly depending on things that users can control. Some of these tests that have been linked might have had a different result by just changing one setting on the phone. In fact, just displaying the color white on an amoled screen will use the battery much quickly than displaying black.

Darthdingo
Mar 17, 2012, 12:57 PM
Moved to Android long ago, and could not be happier. Just got sick of the wristwatch sized iPhone screen, and fisher-price toy like icons. Plus iOS has the same look and feel as it did since 2007.

My Galaxy-Nexus feels like a phone that Commander Data built in the 24th century.

-aggie-
Mar 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
It's important to note how widely battery life can vary greatly depending on things that users can control. Some of these tests that have been linked might have had a different result by just changing one setting on the phone. In fact, just displaying the color white on an amoled screen will use the battery much quickly than displaying black.

I totally realize tests can have different results, just based on the "seems like a million" iPhone battery threads. The main link (in the first post of links I posted) that concerns me is the one where browsing was directly compared to other phones. I mainly use my phone for browsing, and that (and gaming) is the best way I find to really tell how good a battery is. The posts where people say they have "moderate" use and use the phone for "some" talking, "some" texting, "some" browsing, etc., really don't let someone know much of anything because it's hard to compare to something that uses ambiguous terms like "moderate" and "some." However, even if they give hours for each, it's still difficult, unless you've done the same tests under the same conditions for another phone.

Edit: I just noticed the Note link from GSMArena was not for the AT&T version. Here's AT&T's:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/here-is-the-breakdown-of-the-samsung-galaxy-note-i717-performance-in-our-battery-test/

MUCH better battery life (browsing only). Not as good as the iPhone 4S (416 minutes), but not too bad at 324 minutes.

More Links for my own research and being able to find them here:

http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index/5310?cPage=16&all=False&sort=0&page=14&slug=samsung-galaxy-nexus-ice-cream-sandwich-review

kaielement
Mar 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
Why do people want a bigger screen. Have you looked around at the phones with bigger screens I mean they are so huge that they are hard to get in and out of my pocket and most have honorable battery life. If you want a bigger screen and I can really only imagine for watching movies and word docs buy a tablet enough said. My iPhone is the right size for me. Plus I worked at Best Buy And so many people would come in and complain about there android phone and be buying an iPhone, even some of my coworkers too!!!!

jeffe
Mar 17, 2012, 10:55 PM
I get by all day with my browsing usage. What kills my battery like no other is streaming radio and that is with the screen off.

Anyways - if you are looking at android and don't mind getting your emails every 15 minutes or so, you can get an app like juice defender that can help increase battery life when you are not using the phone. I used to use this until switching to CM7 which does well enough without it.

I totally realize tests can have different results, just based on the "seems like a million" iPhone battery threads. The main link (in the first post of links I posted) that concerns me is the one where browsing was directly compared to other phones. I mainly use my phone for browsing, and that (and gaming) is the best way I find to really tell how good a battery is. The posts where people say they have "moderate" use and use the phone for "some" talking, "some" texting, "some" browsing, etc., really don't let someone know much of anything because it's hard to compare to something that uses ambiguous terms like "moderate" and "some." However, even if they give hours for each, it's still difficult, unless you've done the same tests under the same conditions for another phone.

Edit: I just noticed the Note link from GSMArena was not for the AT&T version. Here's AT&T's:

http://blog.gsmarena.com/here-is-the-breakdown-of-the-samsung-galaxy-note-i717-performance-in-our-battery-test/

MUCH better battery life (browsing only). Not as good as the iPhone 4S (416 minutes), but not too bad at 324 minutes.

-aggie-
Mar 17, 2012, 11:45 PM
I get by all day with my browsing usage. What kills my battery like no other is streaming radio and that is with the screen off.

Anyways - if you are looking at android and don't mind getting your emails every 15 minutes or so, you can get an app like juice defender that can help increase battery life when you are not using the phone. I used to use this until switching to CM7 which does well enough without it.

What did you mean about "getting your emails every 15 minutes or so?"

ChazUK
Mar 18, 2012, 09:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-gb; GT-I9100 Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

I believe Juice Defender can be configured to enable background data at 15/30/60 minute intervals rather than being connected 24/7 to save battery looking at the screenshots on the Play Market.

I've never used it myself so I can't be entirely sure.

Jimmy James
Mar 18, 2012, 10:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_CA) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's funny to me how many people praise android for integration with google's services and criticize apple's inability to do email attachments from within the mail program.

I downloaded the gmail app for ios and it does attachments. However, I otherwise dislike that program and am happy to use the native mail program most of the time.

Jimmy James
Mar 18, 2012, 10:27 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_CA) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's funny to me how many people praise android for integration with google's services and criticize apple's inability to do email attachments from within the mail program.

I downloaded the gmail app for ios and it does attachments. However, I otherwise dislike that program and am happy to use the native mail program most of the time.

sentinelsx
Mar 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
I noticed people down rate a lot when someone claims something so matter of factly but doesnt post links or pics. Especially if you say it had 3 hours of screen use. We all know it shows time and then each individual think like screen on is a percentage. So unless it was 100% screen use with 3 hours and the battery was about to die its impossible to know that without guessing quite a bit.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/6c0f4760-7276-a9bd.jpg)

That's not a notes battery just an example of the display.

errr...you can press on the screen percentage and it will show you the actual screen on time too. You know that right?

whynotgotovegas
Mar 18, 2012, 01:25 PM

I think of it more as like syncing between devices, I download something on my iPad, it's on my iPhone. I take a picture on my iPhone, it's on my iPad. Vice versa. Stuff like that you don't need to worry about, it's very reliable and like he said, just works.

-aggie-
Mar 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
I think of it more as like syncing between devices, I download something on my iPad, it's on my iPhone. I take a picture on my iPhone, it's on my iPad. Vice versa. Stuff like that you don't need to worry about, it's very reliable and like he said, just works.

If you want to put it into terms that apply to someone who just cares about that aspect, then yes, you're right, "it just works." However, at one time, you couldn't even cut, copy and paste on an iphone. Did it "just work" then? There are plenty of stuff that Apple still jails the user from using. Why do you think people jailbreak?

Like the poster you responded to stated, it's a preference. People have different preferences.

jeffe
Mar 18, 2012, 11:31 PM
Juice defender disables your data, re-enabling it every 15 minutes (configurable) - allowing your apps to complete a data refresh and then it turns the data off again.

That's just one feature. It is fully customizable and does lots of stuff such as automatically switching on and off your wifi when you are near known access points, managing Bluetooth, gps connections, etc.

----------

Have you used either Android or the gmail app for android?

tekno
Mar 19, 2012, 02:47 AM
I'm bored of ios and hate my 4S - same old phone just with features I never use (Siri, iMessage etc) but one thing is stopping me switch.

I now like how iCloud autoupdates iCal entries. If I add one on iCal on my mac it appears on my iPhone and vice versa.

Could someone explain how this would work if I got a Galaxy S2?

ChazUK
Mar 19, 2012, 02:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.2; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ICL53F) AppleWebKit/535.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) CrMo/16.0.912.77 Mobile Safari/535.7)

I'm bored of ios and hate my 4S - same old phone just with features I never use (Siri, iMessage etc) but one thing is stopping me switch.

I now like how iCloud autoupdates iCal entries. If I add one on iCal on my mac it appears on my iPhone and vice versa.

Could someone explain how this would work if I got a Galaxy S2?

Google Sync would do the trick.

http://www.google.com/sync/mac.html

Invincibilizer
Mar 25, 2012, 05:35 PM
Does the GalaxyS2 have speech to text function or is that an Ice Cream Sandwich update function?

rjohnstone
Mar 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
Does the GalaxyS2 have speech to text function or is that an Ice Cream Sandwich update function?
Yep. Click on the microphone button on the keyboard. ;)

mbell1975
Mar 26, 2012, 02:31 PM
I had 6 Android phones over 4+ years. The HTC Hero, Evo 4G, Nexus S 4G, HTC Sensation, HTC Evo 3D and the Galaxy S2. I have always had Apple products too, everything but the iPhone. I love Android but its become far too fragmented with some apps only working with some phones and all types of different hardware. Carriers are extremely slow to update their phones. You could have a brand new phone running a nearly 2 year old version of Android. I had to buy several new phones (at full retail price) because the carrier decided to stop supporting them well before my 2 year contract was up. Apple still supports the 3Gs and its 3 years old. It got the new OS the same day the 4s got it. That kind of support is a dream in Android land, you will never see it. Google really need to improve things and set some rules before licensing their OS out to just anybody, but they never do. There are some things I miss about Android, but they are minor. I would much rather have the great battery life, more polished OS, timely updates and functionality of the iPhone instead.

Lindenhurst
Mar 27, 2012, 09:38 PM

Been there done that. To me that is all secondary. I'm not going to stick with an Apple Iphone just so I can snap a photo and have it on my Mac as well.
Now that I switched from Iphone4 to the Samsung Note, my Ical and Note calendar sync automatically. I have my Itunes music synced via Google music manager, and I frequently use dropbox for other items.

Yes Apple stuff does "just work", but so does my Galaxy Note and many other phone brands out there.
This ecosystem idea was brilliant, and I give Apple alot of credit for it because they probably have millions of people who may consider using another phone but won't because they are brainwashed into believing that only the Iphone will "fit" into the Apple ecosystem.

If I have to push a few extra buttons to get things synced, it is sure worth it to me to be able to have the phone that I really want to use.

And as far as battery life goes, my Note gets about 90% of the battery life my Iphone4 did, and I carry a spare in my wallet. Battery life is no longer an issue . Maybe Apple will allow batteries to be changed in the future. That would be great.
My Note has Android Gingerbread on it, and Samsung has already stated that ICS will be available sometime. I do realize that "some time" could mean this year, next year, or maybe never, but I bought the phone based on the current operating system which works great for me.
As far as the fragmentation issue I keep hearing about, the apps I need work on my phone now.

I may use an Apple Iphone in the future if they start making bigger screens, but for now I prefer a phone with a 5.3" screen.

mbell1975
Mar 27, 2012, 11:46 PM
Been there done that. To me that is all secondary. I'm not going to stick with an Apple Iphone just so I can snap a photo and have it on my Mac as well.
Now that I switched from Iphone4 to the Samsung Note, my Ical and Note calendar sync automatically. I have my Itunes music synced via Google music manager, and I frequently use dropbox for other items.

Yes Apple stuff does "just work", but so does my Galaxy Note and many other phone brands out there.
This ecosystem idea was brilliant, and I give Apple alot of credit for it because they probably have millions of people who may consider using another phone but won't because they are brainwashed into believing that only the Iphone will "fit" into the Apple ecosystem.

If I have to push a few extra buttons to get things synced, it is sure worth it to me to be able to have the phone that I really want to use.

And as far as battery life goes, my Note gets about 90% of the battery life my Iphone4 did, and I carry a spare in my wallet. Battery life is no longer an issue . Maybe Apple will allow batteries to be changed in the future. That would be great.
My Note has Android Gingerbread on it, and Samsung has already stated that ICS will be available sometime. I do realize that "some time" could mean this year, next year, or maybe never, but I bought the phone based on the current operating system which works great for me.
As far as the fragmentation issue I keep hearing about, the apps I need work on my phone now.

I may use an Apple Iphone in the future if they start making bigger screens, but for now I prefer a phone with a 5.3" screen.

Cool. I have owned several Samsung Android phones. Wait till you start getting apps crashing, force closing and destroying your battery life. It's great fun!

Sunsean
Mar 27, 2012, 11:46 PM
Chiming in as an Android to iPhone switcher. Was on Android for 3 years, over 3 phones, but I'm a 'mac guy' - been using macs as primary computer for years...anyway, Android was cool, it worked. But as many others have pointed out, the razzle dazzle of a fluid and cohesive UI is missing from Android, and I'm coming from a Galaxy S II. It worked well, but it didn't 'pop.' Apple works and makes it look good. I also think a big part of it is people like to switch platforms after they get bored lol. Been on ios for years? Try Android. And vice versa.

Anyway, as an iMac user and someone who is looking forward to that cohesive Mac device unity, I am happy leaving Android behind for a bit. I can also relate to what someone said a few pages back about being too distracted by all the customizable elements of Android lol. I got so into rooting and tinkering, it wasn't healthy. In the end, I picked a very simple setup that was almost reminiscent of an iphone. And I have come to learn that I actually don't like/need widgets on the home screen, which I always thought was a big pro for Android. I find that I almost NEVER use the widgets anymore. It is just smoother, more aesthetic, and more practical to access info through the app. The ONLY widget info I find useful anymore is weather, which the iphone offers in the notification window in ios5. For the most part, I found the widgets to freeze often and make the phone more sluggish.

0m3ga
Mar 27, 2012, 11:55 PM
Chiming in as an Android to iPhone switcher. Was on Android for 3 years, over 3 phones, but I'm a 'mac guy' - been using macs as primary computer for years...anyway, Android was cool, it worked. But as many others have pointed out, the razzle dazzle of a fluid and cohesive UI is missing from Android, and I'm coming from a Galaxy S II. It worked well, but it didn't 'pop.' Apple works and makes it look good. I also think a big part of it is people like to switch platforms after they get bored lol. Been on ios for years? Try Android. And vice versa.

Perfect advice. If you have the desire, time, patience, enjoy customizing... why not? Switch back and forth. Keeps your perspective fresh. But I like both OS's personally.

Fireblade
Mar 28, 2012, 05:06 AM
The ICS update for the Note is announced for may, so it's not too far away.

bp1000
Mar 28, 2012, 05:46 AM
My first android phone was googles flagship device, the nexus one. I even had it shipped from the states to the uk.

Initially it went head to head with thd iphone 3G. It was slightly more powerful which became more useful as ios got a bit slower with the later updates. I would have happily used the device if it wasn't for the abismal keyboard. It was very buggy and poorly designed. Other quirks made it a phone I eventually couldn't wait to stop using.

I have no doubt that android is a great and healthy alternative to apple but there are so many variants out there running on so many different devices that I'm glad to have such a great iPhone for now.

Lindenhurst
Mar 28, 2012, 08:15 AM
Cool. I have owned several Samsung Android phones. Wait till you start getting apps crashing, force closing and destroying your battery life. It's great fun!

Exactly how long must wait ?
I've had the phone for 5 weeks now, and have had no more apps crash than I did on my Iphone.

As far as the battery life goes, the spare in my wallet more than makes up for the slightly shorter battery life.
I'm not here to say that "mine is better than yours", but it never ceases to amaze me that very few positive comments can be made about anything other than an Apple product without someone coming along and spewing out the typical stuff that we have all heard over and over again. Most of the comments are repeats of what someone else said, and are not made based on personal experience.

I'm new to Android so I can't attest to the reliability of past versions of the OS or other lesser expensive Android handsets, but the one I have now feels every bit as "premium" as my IP4 did, and the phone works every bit as well for me.
The only reason I changed was the much larger screen size. Had the IP4had a 4.5" or larger screen, I'd still be with Apple, but now that I am not, I absolutely do not feel as if I am missing something.
Iphone is a great device but one size does not fit all. Hopefully Apple will realize that before they lose even more customers to some of the larger screen phones .
I am certain they will.
For years Steve Jobs was against paying a dividend. Tim Cook is not. Steve said the 3.5" phone size was optimal. Lets see what the current regime says.
Steve was brilliant, but I think he got caught up in believing that his ideas were the only worthy ones.
Sometimes listening to others can be worthwhile. God bless the man, but if he could do it again, I'm sure he would have listened a bit more to others.

----------

Anyway, as an iMac user and someone who is looking forward to that cohesive Mac device unity, I am happy leaving Android behind for a bit. I can also relate to what someone said a few pages back about being too distracted by all the customizable elements of Android lol. I got so into rooting and tinkering, it wasn't healthy. In the end, I picked a very simple setup that was almost reminiscent of an iphone. And I have come to learn that I actually don't like/need widgets on the home screen, which I always thought was a big pro for Android. I find that I almost NEVER use the widgets anymore. It is just smoother, more aesthetic, and more practical to access info through the app. The ONLY widget info I find useful anymore is weather, which the iphone offers in the notification window in ios5. For the most part, I found the widgets to freeze often and make the phone more sluggish.

I agree with the getting bored bit, and I also agree with the getting caught up in the tinkering an rooting process. I did the same with Iphone but always ended up going back to stock. My Android is now stock again and I'm done with all that tinkering.
Something new every couple of years makes it interesting.

----------

My first android phone was googles flagship device, the nexus one. I even had it shipped from the states to the uk.

Initially it went head to head with thd iphone 3G. It was slightly more powerful which became more useful as ios got a bit slower with the later updates. I would have happily used the device if it wasn't for the abismal keyboard. It was very buggy and poorly designed. Other quirks made it a phone I eventually couldn't wait to stop using.

I have no doubt that android is a great and healthy alternative to apple but there are so many variants out there running on so many different devices that I'm glad to have such a great iPhone for now.

I remember when the "superphone" was coming out. That turned out to be a dissappointment for many. I think Google should stick to software, and not get involved in hardware. Lets see what they do with Motorola in the future.

Maybe Apple will surprise us and come out with a larger screen phone and also offer a 3.5" screen for those who like the current size. Nothing wrong with having more options.

TheBigKing
Mar 28, 2012, 08:42 AM
What about nexus class ?? I love the nexus the only phone that i change the iPhone it's for the pure Google phones not other ones

Lindenhurst
Mar 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
What about nexus class ?? I love the nexus the only phone that i change the iPhone it's for the pure Google phones not other ones

ATT doesn't offer it, so I have not ever tried it.

Sunsean
Mar 28, 2012, 08:56 AM
----------

[/COLOR]

I agree with the getting bored bit, and I also agree with the getting caught up in the tinkering an rooting process. I did the same with Iphone but always ended up going back to stock. My Android is now stock again and I'm done with all that tinkering.
Something new every couple of years makes it interesting.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Yeah, the tinkering was again essentially from boredom. 6 months after getting my first android phone I started getting restless, decided to root, and then promptly went on a 2 year root fest with a couple different phones, changing ROMs every week, scrutinizing over how every part of my phone was set up, from homescreens/widgets to folders and overclocking, etc, etc...finally I was like "what am I doing?" Because at the end of the day, no matter what I would tinker, the phone pretty much did the same thing at the end of the day. I was spending more time tweaking than actually just using and enjoying the phone! That's one reason I like Apple - yes, they don't give you much control, but what is there is designed to work well and be aesthetically pleasing. Like you said, I'm done with all the tinkering, and for me that means, at least for now, iphone is the better choice. Because with no/minimal tinkering, it flies.

mbell1975
Mar 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
I'm not here to say that "mine is better than yours", but it never ceases to amaze me that very few positive comments can be made about anything other than an Apple product without someone coming along and spewing out the typical stuff that we have all heard over and over again. Most of the comments are repeats of what someone else said, and are not made based on personal experience.

I'm new to Android

Exactly. You are new to Android. I have ad 6 of them over the past 4 years. All Android phones start out wonderful. Give it time. Eventually you will start loading apps that crash your phone, apps that force close or start draining your battery because the update to it wasn't written properly and the phone starts to slow down. Most people who root their phones do so because the phone is garbage otherwise. So no, I am not just some Apple fanboy who's never used an Android talking crap, I know Android all too well. Not saying its unusable, but if you have time to root and ROM your phone or babysit it by watching everything closely and closing out apps all the time or removing poorly written ones, go for it. I was tired of the headaches.

str8bucs
Mar 28, 2012, 10:50 AM
I have used them both and multiple Android brand phones and 1 thing that kills me is the battery life of the Android. So I came back to the the iPhone and although the iPhone does lack some features that Android has (Call Blocking) I can deal with not having to charge my phone 2-3 times a day. The rock solid apps just work on the iPhone and not reboot when in the middle of a call:D

BiggAW
Mar 28, 2012, 11:39 AM

Samsuck is a special case. I had better luck with 3rd party ROMs, and my friends with DROIDs don't have too much of an issue. That being said, I love my iPhone, and while I am going to get a new Android phone for development, I won't be missing Android on my actual phone.

-aggie-
Mar 28, 2012, 11:49 AM
The ICS update for the Note is announced for may, so it's not too far away.

Where did you get this information? AFAIK, nothing has been confirmed about when ICS will be available for the Note.

Lindenhurst
Mar 28, 2012, 12:09 PM
I have used them both and multiple Android brand phones and 1 thing that kills me is the battery life of the Android. So I came back to the the iPhone and although the iPhone does lack some features that Android has (Call Blocking) I can deal with not having to charge my phone 2-3 times a day. The rock solid apps just work on the iPhone and not reboot when in the middle of a call:D

Like I said, my 5.3" screened Galaxy Note battery lasts 90% of what my Iphone4 did, and i carry an extra battery in my wallet.
Not sure why this keeps getting brought up.

ALso, I have never heard of an Android phone rebooting during a call.

C'mon, you can do better than that!!! Think of something else.

KentuckyHouse
Mar 28, 2012, 12:15 PM
I've had exactly the same experience as a couple of you have noted. Former 3GS user, upgraded to the 4S on launch day. Got bored waiting for the jailbreak, so I picked up a GSII over Thanksgiving for $50.

It stayed stock for about a week, while I read up on the rooting process. For the next month and a half after rooting it, I went on a spree of different ROMs. I'd find one that I really liked and then another one would come along that everyone was saying was the greatest, so I'd try that one. I was having a grand old time.

Then the jailbreak for the 4S came out...and I've been back to my 4S ever since. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like my GSII...I do...a lot. But I'm just so much more comfortable with my iPhone. Now, if something happened and I lost my jailbreak and had to return to stock? I'd probably be right back to using my GSII over my 4S.

For me a jailbroken iPhone > my GSII. Not by a huge margin...but enough that I still pick up my iPhone before my GSII. I've actually tried to make myself switch for a week to the GSII. I'll pop my SIM out of my 4S and put it in my GSII...and within an hour I'm putting it back in my 4S. It's just easier and more fluid to use.

In my experience, Android is great and has a TON of potential. But until they stop the fragmentation and join everything together, they're never going to meet their full potential. Does iOS get bland and boring after a while? Yeah. But it's also familiar and works well.

Eh...just my .02 :D

Lindenhurst
Mar 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
Exactly. You are new to Android. I have ad 6 of them over the past 4 years. All Android phones start out wonderful. Give it time. Eventually you will start loading apps that crash your phone, apps that force close or start draining your battery because the update to it wasn't written properly and the phone starts to slow down. Most people who root their phones do so because the phone is garbage otherwise. So no, I am not just some Apple fanboy who's never used an Android talking crap, I know Android all too well. Not saying its unusable, but if you have time to root and ROM your phone or babysit it by watching everything closely and closing out apps all the time or removing poorly written ones, go for it. I was tired of the headaches.

I don't care what you have used over the last 4 years. I care what is available right now. I have loaded all the apps I need on my phone with no problems, and my phone hasn't slowed down at all. Sure there are garbage apps out there, but I'm not interested in them. I use my phone for business, and it works perfectly for me. I rooted the phone for the heck of it, and now it is back to stock. Works both ways for me. Didn't really see the advantage of rooting, as the phone already allows for customization beyond what I need. I also never felt as if I was babysitting my phone. I use it exactly the same way as I used my iPhone, and it just works...just like the iPhone.
Just why do you feel the need to jump into the discussion and put down something other than what you like?

It's ok if you prefer Apple. Doesn't bother me at all. I love Apple products, but I just wanted a larger screened phone that does what I need it to, and the Galaxy Note does the job just as well as my iPhone did, but it's easier for me to see whats on the larger screen.
Do you think it is entirely possible that things can change and some things do in fact improve over time?
Do you think that by rooting your Android phones, you may have done something that caused your phones to not perform?
Maybe it was the operator!

----------

I've had exactly the same experience as a couple of you have noted. Former 3GS user, upgraded to the 4S on launch day. Got bored waiting for the jailbreak, so I picked up a GSII over Thanksgiving for $50.

It stayed stock for about a week, while I read up on the rooting process. For the next month and a half after rooting it, I went on a spree of different ROMs. I'd find one that I really liked and then another one would come along that everyone was saying was the greatest, so I'd try that one. I was having a grand old time.

Then the jailbreak for the 4S came out...and I've been back to my 4S ever since. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like my GSII...I do...a lot. But I'm just so much more comfortable with my iPhone. Now, if something happened and I lost my jailbreak and had to return to stock? I'd probably be right back to using my GSII over my 4S.

For me a jailbroken iPhone > my GSII. Not by a huge margin...but enough that I still pick up my iPhone before my GSII. I've actually tried to make myself switch for a week to the GSII. I'll pop my SIM out of my 4S and put it in my GSII...and within an hour I'm putting it back in my 4S. It's just easier and more fluid to use.

In my experience, Android is great and has a TON of potential. But until they stop the fragmentation and join everything together, they're never going to meet their full potential. Does iOS get bland and boring after a while? Yeah. But it's also familiar and works well.

Eh...just my .02 :D

I doubt the fragmentation issue will ever be resolved because of the variety of handsets available.

BiggAW
Mar 28, 2012, 12:49 PM
Does iOS get bland and boring after a while? Yeah. But it's also familiar and works well.

Visually, I just change my wallpaper and the retina display looks new all over again. That screen is just so nice!

str8bucs
Mar 28, 2012, 02:43 PM
Like I said, my 5.3" screened Galaxy Note battery lasts 90% of what my Iphone4 did, and i carry an extra battery in my wallet.
Not sure why this keeps getting brought up.

ALso, I have never heard of an Android phone rebooting during a call.

C'mon, you can do better than that!!! Think of something else.

The Galaxy Note is a horrendous size!!!

Well I used the Galaxy SII, Motorola Atrix, Galaxy Infuse and they all sucked the battery. I am on my phone all day checking email and phone calls with the occasional Words game. Also my car stereo has a iPhone dock so it was a no brainer.

Also the AT&T 2.3.6 update totally screwed the WIFI on the GSII and i was getting 5 hours of battery life and that with nothing running.

-aggie-
Mar 28, 2012, 02:55 PM
The Galaxy Note is a horrendous size!!!

Well I used the Galaxy SII, Motorola Atrix, Galaxy Infuse and they all sucked the battery. I am on my phone all day checking email and phone calls with the occasional Words game. Also my car stereo has a iPhone dock so it was a no brainer.

Also the AT&T 2.3.6 update totally screwed the WIFI on the GSII and i was getting 5 hours of battery life and that with nothing running.

Have you actually used the Note? It fits fine in my shirt pocket (I've seen the pic going around of someone with it in their pocket, and it must be rigged or the pcoket is abnormally small, because my Note is mostly covered with barely the top being visible). Besides not caring what someone thinks about how I may look talking on the phone to my ear, I mainly use the speaker phone, so that's not even an issue. The screen is great IMO. I no longer have to squint to try to see what a webpage has written, and i don't have to constantly zoom in and out to see text. It's great for reading books for that reason.

It fits a niche for some. Get over it.

Pro-pacCase
Mar 28, 2012, 03:19 PM

My wife uses Android. She tried playing with my iPhone couple times but she hates iPhone!! :confused: I don't get women sometimes :confused:

cynics
Mar 28, 2012, 03:38 PM
My wife uses Android. She tried playing with my iPhone couple times but she hates iPhone!! :confused: I don't get women sometimes :confused:

My girlfriend is the same way. She used mine a few time and after asking "how do you do this?" and me saying "you can't" other and over. Then she'll tossed it back too me and say "dumb". She's really good at pissing me off lol.

-aggie-
Mar 28, 2012, 03:48 PM

Mine loves the iphone 4. She was amazed just to have her.yahoo calendars synced :)

str8bucs
Mar 28, 2012, 03:54 PM
Have you actually used the Note? It fits fine in my shirt pocket (I've seen the pic going around of someone with it in their pocket, and it must be rigged or the pcoket is abnormally small, because my Note is mostly covered with barely the top being visible). Besides not caring what someone thinks about how I may look talking on the phone to my ear, I mainly use the speaker phone, so that's not even an issue. The screen is great IMO. I no longer have to squint to try to see what a webpage has written, and i don't have to constantly zoom in and out to see text. It's great for reading books for that reason.

It fits a niche for some. Get over it.

I haven't used it for any length of time.

First of all I don't wear shirts with pockets in them, than the weight of that in your shirt pocket makes it feel like a Palm Pilot I'm sure.

The screen on any Samsung device is very nice I do give it that.

99% of the time my phone does reside in my pocket like most other people.

I don't do a bunch of surfing on my phone anyway.

Yes you are correct it does fit a niche for some people

BTW.... I'm way over it. I was just make an observation of my Android usage

-aggie-
Mar 28, 2012, 04:02 PM
I haven't used it for any length of time.

First of all I don't wear shirts with pockets in them, than the weight of that in your shirt pocket makes it feel like a Palm Pilot I'm sure.

The screen on any Samsung device is very nice I do give it that.

99% of the time my phone does reside in my pocket like most other people.

I don't do a bunch of surfing on my phone anyway.

Yes you are correct it does fit a niche for some people

BTW.... I'm way over it. I was just make an observation of my Android usage

Yeah, that extra 38 grams is a load.

mbell1975
Mar 28, 2012, 05:40 PM
Another thing I hated about android phones were the weak radios. Today was a perfect example of that. I went to eat lunch at cheesecake factory where I never got reception with four different android phones. The HTC Evo, Evo 3D and Samsung Galaxy S2 could barely do voice in there, no data, and the Samsung Nexus S 4G would go into roaming. Took my 4s in there for the first time today and I'll be damned, almost full bars of voice and data (although a bit slow) worked perfectly. Nice.

rjohnstone
Mar 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
Another thing I hated about android phones were the weak radios. Today was a perfect example of that. I went to eat lunch at cheesecake factory where I never got reception with four different android phones. The HTC Evo, Evo 3D and Samsung Galaxy S2 could barely do voice in there, no data, and the Samsung Nexus S 4G would go into roaming. Took my 4s in there for the first time today and I'll be damned, almost full bars of voice and data (although a bit slow) worked perfectly. Nice.
So you're attributing a weak carrier signal to the devices radio... gotcha. :rolleyes:
The EVO and EVO 3D are Sprint devices and the SGS2 could be either T-Mobile or AT&T.

What carrier is your iPhone on?

If you're gonna make up some BS claim, at least make it believable. ;)

mbell1975
Mar 28, 2012, 06:54 PM
So you're attributing a weak carrier signal to the devices radio... gotcha. :rolleyes:
The EVO and EVO 3D are Sprint devices and the SGS2 could be either T-Mobile or AT&T.

What carrier is your iPhone on?

If you're gonna make up some BS claim, at least make it believable. ;)

They were ALL on Sprint! Has zero to do with the carrier. It has to do with Apple making quality hardware while HTC and Samsung don't. At least not with their weak radios.

BiggAW
Mar 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
The Note is EFFING HUGE. Way too big for a phone. Wouldn't fit in my pockets comfortably, and I have big pockets. Wouldn't fit in my hand comfortably, and I have big hands. The S Pen thing is cool, but not worth having such a massive device. It seems like it would be a cool device if they made a Wifi-only version that didn't cost $600.

cynics
Mar 28, 2012, 08:45 PM
I mentioned in another thread I played with one at best buy. Surprisingly I was able to type using one hand with and adjustment of my hand.

I don't think I'd ever get a phone that size but it's pretty cool.

ChazUK
Mar 28, 2012, 09:32 PM

I wonder if its a CDMA or U.S carrier thing? I'm constantly getting good signal on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and my HTC made Titan (although that is WP7).

http://www.speedtest.net/android/154457256.png

11 meg over bog standard 3g does impress me myself.

I wouldn't take notice of "bars" between two phones myself as different manufacturers set each bar at different signal strengths. Some are overly aggressive reporting a low signal and others stretch the truth a little. :D

Sunsean
Mar 28, 2012, 10:35 PM
I really think it comes down to aesthetics and preference...and past experience. I used Android for 3 years, from the glitchy Mytouch 3g to the comparably smooth GS2. Both platforms work and do what they should. In the end, I've come to now want a simple, clean, effective UI that looks pretty, and that's what I'm getting from the iphone. The Android can do just about all the same things, but IMO it's just a little clunkier. Both work well in my experience though.

I also agree with someone else who said that they don't need a huge screen on their phone. The iphone screen does seem a little small coming from an SG2, but I really appreciate the compactness of it...it is a phone at the end of the day, not a tablet.

mbell1975
Mar 28, 2012, 11:24 PM
Well I finally broke down and got a Note. Figured I had 30 days to try it out. Being very familiar with Android, I do like it so far. We'll see how it goes.

M5RahuL
Mar 29, 2012, 12:38 AM
From Windows to Symbian [S40/S60] to BB to iOS and Android, I love'em all :D Well, not the BB so much anymore!!

The Galaxy S II [ Sprint ] is a pleasure to use! Smooth as silk [ yes, even better than the iP4/4S ] and the screen is just gorgeous! The HTC EVO was my first Android and that phone kicked a$$ for it's time! The Evo 3D sucked, but the GS2 is mobile sex!!! :p Plus, there's so much you can do with Android even w/o root, its amazing!

However, I can't get myself to give up my 4 or the newly acquired 4S. There's something about the iPhone I just love, especially the camera! The 3.5" screen doesn't bother me, although I seriously wish it came with Google Navigation and FB integration with contacts in stock form!!

Lindenhurst
Mar 29, 2012, 07:10 AM
The Note is EFFING HUGE. Way too big for a phone. Wouldn't fit in my pockets comfortably, and I have big pockets. Wouldn't fit in my hand comfortably, and I have big hands. The S Pen thing is cool, but not worth having such a massive device. It seems like it would be a cool device if they made a Wifi-only version that didn't cost $600.

Fits in my hands and pockets just perfectly. WHy way too big for a phone?
Try it out. It isn't as big as you think. The s pen is irrelevant to me, as I really don't use it.
I would venture to say that most that think ti is too big haven't actually touched or held one.

----------

Well I finally broke down and got a Note. Figured I had 30 days to try it out. Being very familiar with Android, I do like it so far. We'll see how it goes.

It'll grow on ya!

BiggAW
Mar 29, 2012, 12:31 PM
Fits in my hands and pockets just perfectly. WHy way too big for a phone?
Try it out. It isn't as big as you think. The s pen is irrelevant to me, as I really don't use it.

I've actually played with them several times at various AT&T stores. Human hands don't keep getting bigger, so phones shouldn't either. 3.5" is the right size for a smartphone, and I love my iPhone.

ChazUK
Mar 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
I've actually played with them several times at various AT&T stores. Human hands don't keep getting bigger, so phones shouldn't either. 3.5" is the right size for a smartphone, and I love my iPhone.

The 4.65" screen on the Galaxy Nexus suits me fine. I don't have such a strong feeling as love for my phone (that is reserved for my wife, children and my Cat only) but I wouldn't ever expect everyone to get on with such a screen as I can.

Human hands may not be getting bigger but people have all types of hand sizes that they'll manage to use different phones with. That's just the way it is sadly.

Enjoy your phone as Lindenhurst obviously does. ;)

LSUtigers03
Mar 29, 2012, 12:56 PM
I have a Galaxy Nexus and I love the phone. I have an iPad so that fulfills my iOS needs. I don't feel the desire to go back to the iPhone. Some people think 3.5" is as big as a phone screen needs to be. I'm not one of those people. The 4.65" Galaxy Nexus screen is great. It looks awesome and it fits perfectly fine in my pocket. ICS is very stable and smooth. It's a joy to use. Of course that's just my personal opinion.

iMaconApple
Mar 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
Day 3 with my note and wow I love it..battery still needs break in/cycle..going to root it later on..loving the android custom stuff no more waiting on jailbreaking..:D this my first android..it's going to be hard to return it back to AT&T because im just going for a test drive on this but I'm loving it..:)

Waiting for Galaxy S3/iPhone 5 has to offer..but for now I'm enjoying this note..perfect for my use..don't really talk on the phone much..it's like fitting my iPad in my pocket :D yeah I have small hands and small head feels but funny making phone calls to me but I'm slowy getting use to it day by day..can't wait for jelly beans

mbell1975
Mar 29, 2012, 01:45 PM
I can't stand the over saturated colors on the Note and its only been half a day. Skin tones are orange, almost looks cartoonish. However, the whites aren't nearly as bright as my 4s, even at full brightness. Its like they just made the RBG colors annoyingly bright but not the rest.

rjohnstone
Mar 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
They were ALL on Sprint! Has zero to do with the carrier. It has to do with Apple making quality hardware while HTC and Samsung don't. At least not with their weak radios.
Like I said, the radio has jack to do with it.

Antenna design and carrier signal are what you're thinking about. ;)
And more bars on a display =/= better antenna.
It's amazing how you can fool a customer into thinking your phone is awesome by tweaking the signal meter algorithm.
Apple has changed it several times on the iPhone to appease complainers.

Lindenhurst
Mar 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
I can't stand the over saturated colors on the Note and its only been half a day. Skin tones are orange, almost looks cartoonish. However, the whites aren't nearly as bright as my 4s, even at full brightness. Its like they just made the RBG colors annoyingly bright but not the rest.

SOmething is obviously wrong with your phone if the colors do not look right. I'd take it back and try another one. My colors are great, btu i have heard that some people with the Note have over saturation. And as far as the brightness goes, I have to turn it down when indoors because it is too bright. Outdoors in bright sunlight it sucks....just like my iPhone did. It is visible, but not very.

----------

Day 3 with my note and wow I love it..battery still needs break in/cycle..going to root it later on..loving the android custom stuff no more waiting on jailbreaking..:D this my first android..it's going to be hard to return it back to AT&T because im just going for a test drive on this but I'm loving it..:)

Waiting for Galaxy S3/iPhone 5 has to offer..but for now I'm enjoying this note..perfect for my use..don't really talk on the phone much..it's like fitting my iPad in my pocket :D yeah I have small hands and small head feels but funny making phone calls to me but I'm slowy getting use to it day by day..can't wait for jelly beans

If you do keep it, get a spare battery and desktop dock charger. I purchases a Samsung OEM dock and spare Samsung OEM battery for $28 from Amazon. It's great having a spare in the wallet when I am out.
You'll get used to the size when making calls. I don't even think about it anymore. YEsterday was the first time anyone has made a comment about the phone. The dental hygienist yesterday said, "holy cow that is a huge phone". It's funny because to met it no longer seems big.
Wait till you use the voice turn by turn navigation. It is awesome!

whynotgotovegas
Mar 29, 2012, 06:52 PM
If you want to put it into terms that apply to someone who just cares about that aspect, then yes, you're right, "it just works." However, at one time, you couldn't even cut, copy and paste on an iphone. Did it "just work" then? There are plenty of stuff that Apple still jails the user from using. Why do you think people jailbreak?

Like the poster you responded to stated, it's a preference. People have different preferences.

I agree that people have preferences. I'm not saying that they don't, I'm just giving my opinion which is my love for apple products. Ive used android and blackberry before, and they both have their weaknesses and strengths. So does the iPhone. I want widgets so bad, but then again I like the fluidness of ios. And also, at one point in time I agree, the iPhone was not in my opinion the best phone on the market. And right now, I believe that it is because apple listened to the sure and come up with the current iPhone which I love. Not hating on android, just my opinion :)

Sdahe
Mar 29, 2012, 06:55 PM
Should I change my iPhone 4S for a Galaxy Skyrocket or a Note?... what would be a fair exchange?

There's a guy wanting to exchange his Skyrocket for my iPhone 4S but asking me to give him $150 extra and my phone.... what???

Darthdingo
Mar 29, 2012, 07:28 PM
Should I change my iPhone 4S for a Galaxy Skyrocket or a Note?... what would be a fair exchange?

There's a guy wanting to exchange his Skyrocket for my iPhone 4S but asking me to give him $150 extra and my phone.... what???

Sounds about right, you'd have to pay me to give up my Android for an iPhone that's for sure.

Nand
Mar 29, 2012, 07:46 PM

I saw one in "clasificados", the guy is selling the skyrocket for $330 or changing for 4s....

All the 4s all over 400

-aggie-
Mar 29, 2012, 08:08 PM

Tell him to take a hike. I'd say it's an even exchange.

Sdahe
Mar 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah, that's what I told him... the iphone 4s for the skyrocket is an even change

robertjones
Mar 30, 2012, 04:08 AM
Android phones are ok, but iPhone is better. What i want to say is I won't change back to Android phones.

RetepNamenots
Mar 30, 2012, 04:52 AM
I switched to Android when the HTC Desire was released because it was £10 cheaper each month for me on a better contract. Whilst the build quality wasn't as great as the 3GS I do prefer the openness of the OS. I've owned an iPad 2 and have the 3rd generation) and whilst they're great devices in their own rights, the main issue I have with them is that I have to install apps from the App store.

I've currently got a Galaxy Nexus, and I don't see my next phone having a screen smaller than this.

Walter Bell
Mar 30, 2012, 06:41 AM
For the people that argue that the iPhone is perfect the way it is really fall into the quote steve jobs used to build apple and why he never let the consumer tell him how to make products.

When Henry ford built the car and was asked why he didn't ask people what they want, he replied "they would have said I want a faster horse." (goes something like that)

You don't think the screen size is perfect, apple told you it is perfect. Had apple said that a 4.3" was perfect from the get go, everyone would be on the bandwagon.

Point being is that as technology moves forward, perfection is an ever subjective, never attainable, and constantly redefined dream to chase after. While 3.5" may have been the perfect screen in the past, people's needs are changing. Sure some still love the 3.5, but those of us who want a 4-5" phone shouldn't be left hanging in the dust without an iOS device. I know I'm picking up a note here soon also. Funny as I used to swear android was the crappiest product on the market. The step child I could never love no matter how much I tried. However with the note, they really did a great job. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

tjl3
Mar 30, 2012, 08:51 AM
For the people that argue that the iPhone is perfect the way it is really fall into the quote steve jobs used to build apple and why he never let the consumer tell him how to make products.

When Henry ford built the car and was asked why he didn't ask people what they want, he replied "they would have said I want a faster horse." (goes something like that)

You don't think the screen size is perfect, apple told you it is perfect. Had apple said that a 4.3" was perfect from the get go, everyone would be on the bandwagon.

Point being is that as technology moves forward, perfection is an ever subjective, never attainable, and constantly redefined dream to chase after. While 3.5" may have been the perfect screen in the past, people's needs are changing. Sure some still love the 3.5, but those of us who want a 4-5" phone shouldn't be left hanging in the dust without an iOS device. I know I'm picking up a note here soon also. Funny as I used to swear android was the crappiest product on the market. The step child I could never love no matter how much I tried. However with the note, they really did a great job. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

I don't think 3.5" is perfect, but I'll take the latest iOS, Apple Support, iPhone size, personal experience, build quality, etc. over a larger screen on an Android phone... why people don't get that screen size isn't all that counts I don't understand.

TG1
Mar 30, 2012, 09:09 AM
I moved to the Razr after four years of iPhones and I'm for the most part satisfied. I like that certain jailbreak-only features on the iphone (theming, Bite SMS, etc.) are available on Android.

I do miss the retina display, better camera, and icloud, though. As an iPad owner, the iPhone plays very well with it (app & music syncing, photostream, etc.)

panzer06
Mar 30, 2012, 09:14 AM
I dropped iPhone 4 and iPad 1 last year for sgs2 and moto Xoom. I like android but for the tablet I came back to iPad with this latest version. It's a lot more stable, has more apps and I don't have to root the thing to get the latest os.

For phones I still prefer the Samsung. Lack of updates still an issue but I can live with it on the phone.

Cheers,

Lindenhurst
Mar 30, 2012, 09:17 AM
android phones are ok, but iphone is better. What i want to say is i won't change back to android phones.

ok..

-aggie-
Mar 30, 2012, 09:21 AM
I don't think 3.5" is perfect, but I'll take the latest iOS, Apple Support, iPhone size, personal experience, build quality, etc. over a larger screen on an Android phone... why people don't get that screen size isn't all that counts I don't understand.

Didn't you mean, why some people don't get that screen size isn't all that counts? People aren't wanting to buy the Galaxy Note or Skyrocket (and other phones), just because they have a bigger screen size.

cynics
Mar 30, 2012, 10:58 AM
I dropped iPhone 4 and iPad 1 last year for sgs2 and moto Xoom. I like android but for the tablet I came back to iPad with this latest version. It's a lot more stable, has more apps and I don't have to root the thing to get the latest os.

For phones I still prefer the Samsung. Lack of updates still an issue but I can live with it on the phone.

Cheers,

The best thing about the Xoom is how it has or is getting the latest OS from Google. ICS was pushed to the wifi models a month or more ago. LTE owners are still waiting but they are working on it and like you mentioned if ICS was a must have you can always root it.

The Xoom (Nexus of tablets) with its unlockable boot loader is still my favorite Android tablet and the dev support is great. I'm keeping mine until the next Nexus tablet comes out.

I usually use it more then my wifi only iPad 2. Mostly because I prefer the browsers with flash (not a big flash fan but I prefer something that supports it until no web pages use it anymore).

Huntn
Mar 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
I previously was a BlackBerry user until i got my hands on the iPhone 3G, i upgraded to the 4 and was stupidly happy, now i have the 4s and again, very pleased, however, iOS is starting to bore me a little now, although it works perfectly i've been looking to jb it etc just to make a few changes and to keep it fresh. Once BlackBerry have QNX on their phones i'll seriously consider going back

I've read several comments about being bored with IOS. Would this really be a reason to switch to Android? If anyone was on the Android for 5 years, I assume they could be just as bored.

Apple has always gone for the concept of the "toaster" appliance, something that does not need extensive knowledge to operate. Shouldn't the comparison have to be about functionality and features?

What does Android do that the IOS does not do? And vice a versa? :D

mbell1975
Mar 30, 2012, 11:43 AM
I've read several comments about being bored with IOS. Would this really be a reason to switch to Android? If anyone was on the Android for 5 years, I assume they could be just as bored.

Apple has always gone for the concept of the "toaster" appliance, something that does not need extensive knowledge to operate. Shouldn't the comparison have to be about functionality and features?

What does Android do that the IOS does not do? And vice a versa? :D

They mean because they can flash ROMS or get new themes and change the look of their phones. I can switch between themes , keyboards and all kinds of things on my Android phones but big deal. I prefer the stability and polish of iOS and if changing icons and adding widgets to your phone excites you that much, you really need to get out of the house more often :)

Huntn
Mar 30, 2012, 11:59 AM
They mean because they can flash ROMS or get new themes and change the look of their phones. I can switch between themes , keyboards and all kinds of things on my Android phones but big deal. I prefer the stability and polish of iOS and if changing icons and adding widgets to your phone excites you that much, you really need to get out of the house more often :)

From my exposure to my wife's iPad and iPhone, you can change the desktop picture/theme :):). I don't see much need for changing the look of the keyboard. I like its minimalist functionality. I don't want it to be imposing. And no, I'm not making excuses. :D

I still remember when my son's droid got screwed up and the carrier (TMobile?) wanted him to wipe all his apps and then do his own app troubleshooting. You just don't see this on IOS , as far as I know.

DougFNJ
Mar 30, 2012, 12:05 PM
I am on the Verizon Network. When iPhone was introduced, I wanted one but couldn't move to AT&T due to my business paying for my Cell phone. At the time I was using a very buggy Treo, and went to a very reliable Blackberry. When Apple introduced the Touchscreen and using your finger as the Stylus, I was intrigued.

Then Blackberry released the Storm and marketed against the iPhone heavily :eek: That was just wrong on so many levels. I upgraded to the Tour until they fixed the bugs. The Storm 2 released, and what do you know....BUGS :eek: They should had just stayed with the hardware keyboards they were good at, these failure devices moved me to the Droid. That sucker was clunky. The OS was interesting, and I really felt another Windows vs Mac was developing. Unfortunately the sound quality was not very good, I swapped many devices, even tried the Palm Pre. I ultimately found that until iPhone came to Verizon, everything else was a Stop Gap. I found too many bugs in the Samsung Fascinate, the closest thing to Android getting it right for me was the Droid X.

Bottom line is, Android began doing it right releasing a few good devices with different form factors to chose from. Then I started seeing WAY too many flavors and skins, and too many devices being released too quick. It's not good to make one device look obsolete 2 months after you release the one before it 2 months prior and force a 2 year commitment on these.

Since I have moved to the iPhone, I have not found reason to look any further. It is to me what Blackberry used to be......it just works. Any PIM application I use does what it is supposed to do. That was the basic foundation I needed, everything else just makes this device better and better.

If someone came out with a better Smartphone, I might look at it as a complete tech geek....but as far as I am concerned, iphone is the only phone I need.

Lindenhurst
Mar 30, 2012, 12:51 PM
Wirelessly posted

Some people just like to tinker with their devices. Android devices allows for a bit more of it. Having many devices to choose from is a positive. I guess as an iphone user i felt like i had the newest thing available when i upgraded each year. With the android powered devices you have a constant flow of new devices that is not a bad thing is it?

mbell1975
Mar 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
Wirelessly posted
With the android powered devices you have a constant flow of new devices that is not a bad thing is it?

I think it is. Whats the point of buying a new Android phone when 3 months later they are going to put out one with more processors, more RAM, a new OS and a bigger and/or better screen? Your phone you just paid a bunch of money for and the version of Android its running is outdated within 6 months time and oh yea, you are stuck with it another year and a half. Great fun isn't it?

-aggie-
Mar 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
I think it is. Whats the point of buying a new Android phone when 3 months later they are going to put out one with more processors, more RAM, a new OS and a bigger and/or better screen? Your phone you just paid a bunch of money for and the version of Android its running is outdated within 6 months time and oh yea, you are stuck with it another year and a half. Great fun isn't it?

I buy something to meet my needs, not to impress someone. Who cares if there is something better after I buy mine, if what I bought does what I need it to do?

mbell1975
Mar 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
I buy something to meet my needs, not to impress someone. Who cares if there is something better after I buy mine, if what I bought does what I need it to do?

How are you going to feel when your carrier or manufacturer decides to stop supporting your phone when you haven't even had it for a year? Its happened with many Android phone. How are you going to feel when there are great new apps in the market you can't download because it won't run on your phone or your older version of Android? How are you going to feel when there are phones running the new OS with great new features and improvements while your new phone is stuck on a nearly 2 year old version of the OS? Apple still supports the 3 year old 3Gs and it got the new OS update the same day the 4s did. That level of support is just not there when it comes to Android.

Lindenhurst
Mar 30, 2012, 01:40 PM

No arguing with him. He has that "herd mentality" and he is fine with getting the incremental upgrade once a year in exactly the same size and shape as everyone else is getting at the same time. But at least he has a choice between black and white!

Some play follow the leader, and some go their own way. Thats what makes us all different.

----------

How are you going to feel when your carrier or manufacturer decides to stop supporting your phone when you haven't even had it for a year? Its happened with many Android phone. How are you going to feel when there are great new apps in the market you can't download because it won't run on your phone or your older version of Android? How are you going to feel when there are phones running the new OS with great new features and improvements while your new phone is stuck on a nearly 2 year old version of the OS? Apple still supports the 3 year old 3Gs and it got the new OS update the same day the 4s did. That level of support is just not there when it comes to Android.

If and when my phone no longer does what I need it to do, I will get another phone. For now it works just fine.

nickchallis92
Mar 30, 2012, 01:47 PM

You could actually argue that with the massive third-party developer scene out there on android phones, that they get supported for far longer than any iphone does. My old HTC HD2 is still getting OS upgrades all the time and it is ancient! It wasn't even android to start with

Lindenhurst
Mar 30, 2012, 01:51 PM

So...technology should be put on hold and things should only change once a year so that you don't feel like what you bought is out of date? Not in this world. Technology changes incrementally for the most part, and new things come out periodically.
My Note has Gingerbread now and it runs awesome for me. ICS is supposed to come out whenever, but I'm happy with what I have now, so if and when I get the ICS update, I guess that will be good too. I had the latest IOS on my IP4 and I don't feel as if I am missing anything at all. Just because a new update comes out, that does not mean that what I have doesn't work.
I don't get all that caught up in the spec wars, as I don't really care about all the dual processor/ram/resolution bragging rights that many here care about. If the phone works well for me, I use it. The user experience is more important to me than all the tech specs.
Now I sound like an Apple fan! Actually I am an Apple fan, for the most part . I pay the phone bill in my home and half of the phones on it are Apple devices, and the other half not.

ChazUK
Mar 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
One of the things to consider regarding Android and updates is that most features can be added to older versions thanks to the fact that most system applications are updated independently from the firmware.

Things like YouTube, Google Maps, Google (now Play) Music for instance are compatible across various versions of Android and are updated without firmware, unlike iOS.

Take the Voice actions in Android as an example. When I had my Nexus One, Google updated it to add voice search, dictation and commands into one of the froyo updates for the device. What about non-nexus owners? Google put the voice functions on Android Market for others to download meaning non-nexus owners got the same functionality without a firmware update.

When you compare this to Siri on iOS however the only way to add this functionality retroactively is to jailbreak and even with that workaround, it isn't supported fully.

batting1000
Mar 30, 2012, 08:51 PM
edit

0m3ga
Mar 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
The best thing about the Xoom is how it has or is getting the latest OS from Google. ICS was pushed to the wifi models a month or more ago. LTE owners are still waiting but they are working on it and like you mentioned if ICS was a must have you can always root it.

The Xoom (Nexus of tablets) with its unlockable boot loader is still my favorite Android tablet and the dev support is great. I'm keeping mine until the next Nexus tablet comes out.

I usually use it more then my wifi only iPad 2. Mostly because I prefer the browsers with flash (not a big flash fan but I prefer something that supports it until no web pages use it anymore).

I am seriously contemplating buying the Xoom in the next few days, specifically because of what you mentioned above (dev support and ICS). Everyone talks about the Transformer Prime as the best Android tablet, but from what I have been able to gleen, the Xoom is a better option... At least imo.

onthecouchagain
Apr 1, 2012, 11:25 PM
I've gone back and forth myself, and honestly, the iPhone 4S is near unusable. It's a thing of beauty, but ergonomics wise, it's quite possibly the worse designed phone. My fingers get cramped holding and typing on it for any prolonged period of time.

Also, it blows my mind how Apple can be so brilliant about so many things, yet so stupid over other things. For example, forcing users to watch the app download animation (where it pulls you out of the App Store and the app icon bounces onto your home screen) is... mind boggling. Does Apple seriously think that people download one app at a time all the time?? I cannot fathom why they would do this.

Anyway... the list is too long to go through. Android has problems. iOS has problems. I'd wager Windows has its share of problems too.

The bottom line is: most OSes are the same.

EDIT: Sorry, this came out more rant-y than I thought it was. I was really articulating why I may return to Android.

tekno
Apr 2, 2012, 02:10 AM
I'm not too sure why this thread exists on an Apple-based site - surely its only going to antagonise?

But I have moved over to Android. The plan was for it to be a temporary move due to frustration with the 4S, but I have found Andriod and the Galaxy S2 to be rather superb. I can't see myself moving back to the iPhone for some time as I suspect (as has been the case for the last five years) the new iPhone will be much the same as all the others.

The exciting thing is that Android is making serious ground. I suspect its just a matter of time before this begins to harm Apple's sales which will hopefully give Apple the impetus to spend some of their $100bn on fighting back with a truly new iPhone.

I never thought I'd move away from iOS, but I have and it was certainly the right decision. What worries me more is if OSX could go the same way.

sracer
Apr 2, 2012, 07:39 AM
I'm not too sure why this thread exists on an Apple-based site - surely its only going to antagonise?

But I have moved over to Android. The plan was for it to be a temporary move due to frustration with the 4S, but I have found Andriod and the Galaxy S2 to be rather superb. I can't see myself moving back to the iPhone for some time as I suspect (as has been the case for the last five years) the new iPhone will be much the same as all the others.

The exciting thing is that Android is making serious ground. I suspect its just a matter of time before this begins to harm Apple's sales which will hopefully give Apple the impetus to spend some of their $100bn on fighting back with a truly new iPhone.

I never thought I'd move away from iOS, but I have and it was certainly the right decision. What worries me more is if OSX could go the same way.
Interesting. I've been a long-time Android user since the original G1. I passed on the iPhones in the past because I couldn't justify to myself spending $100/month for cell service for it. But since I was able to get an inexpensive brand new iPhone 4 and use it with Straight-Talk prepaid ($45/month), I jumped in.

The first thing that I noticed was the insanely long battery life of the iPhone 4. With 3G and wifi enabled, I'm getting DAYS of standby and typical (for me) usage. With my Android handsets, keeping 3G and wifi enabled would drain the battery within a day and a half.

I've found the multitasking on iOS to be superior to Android.

As a software developer, it kills me that my iPhone experience is superior to my Android phone experience... my anti-iPhone feelings about this are in part because of Apple's "extortion" of requiring me to pay them $100 a year so that I can install apps that I've written on my own iOS device.

ChrisTX
Apr 2, 2012, 07:45 AM
Everyone I know IRL with an Android device has switched to the iPhone and has had nothing but positives to say about it. Most were Verizon users that had no choice but to go Android in the beginning until the iPhone hit that network. Even other people that I have talked to online have said that the user experience on iOS far outweighs the user experience on Android. I look at the Android landscape and notice that most devices don't even have ICS or are getting it by summer, but by then Jelly Bean will be released. I can't really get excited about a platform that takes so long to push out updates like they do. That, and the fact that there is no real uniformity across Android phones has me sticking with iOS. :cool:

Fireblade
Apr 2, 2012, 11:09 AM
Everyone I know IRL with an Android device has switched to the iPhone and has had nothing but positives to say about it. Most were Verizon users that had no choice but to go Android in the beginning until the iPhone hit that network. Even other people that I have talked to online have said that the user experience on iOS far outweighs the user experience on Android. I look at the Android landscape and notice that most devices don't even have ICS or are getting it by summer, but by then Jelly Bean will be released. I can't really get excited about a platform that takes so long to push out updates like they do. That, and the fact that there is no real uniformity across Android phones has me sticking with iOS. :cool:

Nice story!!

I know it the other way...

Many people I know (me included) moved from 3GS,4,4s to Sammy SGII, Note and different HTC devices.
I hear only good things about their new devices, complaining the will never go back.

And now?

mbell1975
Apr 2, 2012, 11:20 AM
I've found the multitasking on iOS to be superior to Android.

How so? This is one thing I prefer on Android. iOS pauses an app and then resumes, its not true multitasking. I can't go do something else while an app is downloading, it will pause that download till I come back to it. On Android, I can have 10 different apps downloading or updating while I do other things. Thats multitasking.

Sunsean
Apr 2, 2012, 11:40 AM
Interesting. I've been a long-time Android user since the original G1. I passed on the iPhones in the past because I couldn't justify to myself spending $100/month for cell service for it. But since I was able to get an inexpensive brand new iPhone 4 and use it with Straight-Talk prepaid ($45/month), I jumped in.

The first thing that I noticed was the insanely long battery life of the iPhone 4. With 3G and wifi enabled, I'm getting DAYS of standby and typical (for me) usage. With my Android handsets, keeping 3G and wifi enabled would drain the battery within a day and a half.

Same here, had an original mytouch 3g, then the 4g, then finally the galaxy s2. Each phone definitely improved over its predecessor, but ultimately even with the latest s2, battery was okay at best, and even though everything worked well for the most part, it still seemed kind of glitchy.

Anyway, with my iphone 4 so far (still new relationship) I have been amazed by the battery. On my android phones, I would have to recharge them every night to have them last me the next day. So far, I've gone 3 days on one iphone charge, which astounds me. Even on standby, none of my Android phones would make it that long.

How so? This is one thing I prefer on Android. iOS pauses an app and then resumes, its not true multitasking. I can't go do something else while an app is downloading, it will pause that download till I come back to it. On Android, I can have 10 different apps downloading or updating while I do other things. Thats multitasking.

This, and a couple other features are the things I will miss most about android. Namely, the superior gmail app, and the maps app with integrated google navigation. I can live with gmail - but the android maps app is the one major feature I can say that Android does better. Way more options and controls over the ios version - though I do have to say that the ios version seems to locate me a little faster.

x986
Apr 2, 2012, 12:44 PM
I took an Android for a month long test drive prior to getting a 4S. The "true" 4G (or LTE) is amazing!
The main thing that kept me in the Apple camp is the Android Marketplace. There are a lot of bugs and other dangerous creatures there. I felt like I was threading my way through a minefield. I was lucky enough to only get a couple of toes blown off, so, in the end, I opted for the safety of having Apple vet my apps.
fwiw: I have not read this thread. The above is my personal experience and opinion.

Sunsean
Apr 2, 2012, 12:55 PM
I took an Android for a month long test drive prior to getting a 4S. The "true" 4G (or LTE) is amazing!
The main thing that kept me in the Apple camp is the Android Marketplace. There are a lot of bugs and other dangerous creatures there. I felt like I was threading my way through a minefield. I was lucky enough to only get a couple of toes blown off, so, in the end, I opted for the safety of having Apple vet my apps.
fwiw: I have not read this thread. The above is my personal experience and opinion.

Yes, along with what I said above, the data speed is the other thing I will miss about my t-mobile android phone. In my limited tests so far, the iphone has been well below what I was getting on t-mobile 4g. But like you said, the overall apple experience, app store and much more, is better imo. Software makes a huge difference, and apple has got android beat in that department. Garageband on the iphone alone was enough reason for me to switch haha.

iRobajob
Apr 2, 2012, 01:01 PM
I have just recently switched back to android after leaving one other time. Made me love my iPhone even more. iOS fits my life better. That's why we have choice. Choose what fits you and your needs. The only thing I liked better on android is the navigation that I will never use.

mbell1975
Apr 2, 2012, 01:09 PM
So...technology should be put on hold and things should only change once a year so that you don't feel like what you bought is out of date? Not in this world. Technology changes incrementally for the most part, and new things come out periodically.
My Note has Gingerbread now and it runs awesome for me. ICS is supposed to come out whenever, but I'm happy with what I have now, so if and when I get the ICS update, I guess that will be good too. I had the latest IOS on my IP4 and I don't feel as if I am missing anything at all. Just because a new update comes out, that does not mean that what I have doesn't work.
I don't get all that caught up in the spec wars, as I don't really care about all the dual processor/ram/resolution bragging rights that many here care about. If the phone works well for me, I use it. The user experience is more important to me than all the tech specs.
Now I sound like an Apple fan! Actually I am an Apple fan, for the most part . I pay the phone bill in my home and half of the phones on it are Apple devices, and the other half not.

Here is a great article that sums up the mess Android has become

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/23/2651347/a-good-smartphone-comes-but-once-a-year

Euphonius
Apr 2, 2012, 01:50 PM
Long time lurker just registered, thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I used to have a 3G until my contract was renewed and I plumped for the Galaxy S (cheaper than the iphone 4 at the time).

I too was a rom addict for a while, trying every kind of rom available, last one I had was a custom ICS rom.
The thing for me that caused me to switch back to the iPhone was stability.

People in this thread have been laughed at for suggesting the same, but before you ridicule me, I'd just like to explain my experiences.

The Galaxy S has an amazing screen, is fully customisable and at first I was so happy I'd switched. But after a while it started to grate that I wasn't receiving updates to the system (gingerbread most notably). GB offered some stuff that my vanilla operating system lacked at the time, stability, better multitasking etc. so I headed over to XDA developers and my quest for the perfect ROM began.
Now I've always been a tinkerer so there were no issues with flashing roms, kernels and the like.
After a while I settled on Darky's Rom, which, according to me and many others was fast and less of a battery hog than the vanilla rom I had.
Then the problems started. As someone said earlier in the thread, my phone would regularly lock up, reboot when in a call, forget to wake me. I'd have gallery issues, internet browser issues, connection issues, gps issues... you name it, I had it.
So back to vanilla I went. My phone was slow again. Android OS would take up 75% battery (google it) and my phone would overheat.

Seeing I was still on contract and ICS had released I started tinkering again.

Am I glad I did!
ICS was a breath of fresh air. Looked great, seemed less power hungry and was a lot faster than before.
And then, as if by magic, I'd have random reboots again. Android OS STILL caused a problem and I'd have to take my charger to work just to get through the day.

In the meantime I'd bought an iPad2 and yearned for iOS again, so as soon as my contract was up I went back to the iPhone (4s). And I'm loving it!

YMMV of course, but the thing that makes iOS stand out for me is the stability, the Appstore (Google play is absolutely awful), the seemless way it integrates with my iMac and iPad (I have a windows machine too just in case you were wondering ;)), and above all, the timely updates.

If android can sort out the update situation and they can get Android stable over various devices, then maybe I'll think about switching back.
As it is though, the iPhone just oozes quality I find lacking in Android at the moment.

Lindenhurst
Apr 2, 2012, 02:00 PM
Long time lurker just registered, thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I used to have a 3G until my contract was renewed and I plumped for the Galaxy S (cheaper than the iphone 4 at the time).

I too was a rom addict for a while, trying every kind of rom available, last one I had was a custom ICS rom.
The thing for me that caused me to switch back to the iPhone was stability.

People in this thread have been laughed at for suggesting the same, but before you ridicule me, I'd just like to explain my experiences.

The Galaxy S has an amazing screen, is fully customisable and at first I was so happy I'd switched. But after a while it started to grate that I wasn't receiving updates to the system (gingerbread most notably). GB offered some stuff that my vanilla operating system lacked at the time, stability, better multitasking etc. so I headed over to XDA developers and my quest for the perfect ROM began.
Now I've always been a tinkerer so there were no issues with flashing roms, kernels and the like.
After a while I settled on Darky's Rom, which, according to me and many others was fast and less of a battery hog than the vanilla rom I had.
Then the problems started. As someone said earlier in the thread, my phone would regularly lock up, reboot when in a call, forget to wake me. I'd have gallery issues, internet browser issues, connection issues, gps issues... you name it, I had it.
So back to vanilla I went. My phone was slow again. Android OS would take up 75% battery (google it) and my phone would overheat.

Seeing I was still on contract and ICS had released I started tinkering again.

Am I glad I did!
ICS was a breath of fresh air. Looked great, seemed less power hungry and was a lot faster than before.
And then, as if by magic, I'd have random reboots again. Android OS STILL caused a problem and I'd have to take my charger to work just to get through the day.

In the meantime I'd bought an iPad2 and yearned for iOS again, so as soon as my contract was up I went back to the iPhone (4s). And I'm loving it!

YMMV of course, but the thing that makes iOS stand out for me is the stability, the Appstore (Google play is absolutely awful), the seemless way it integrates with my iMac and iPad (I have a windows machine too just in case you were wondering ;)), and above all, the timely updates.

If android can sort out the update situation and they can get Android stable over various devices, then maybe I'll think about switching back.
As it is though, the iPhone just oozes quality I find lacking in Android at the moment.

Thanks for the honest post. Its nice to read some genuine honesty on here for a change.
I'm new to Android, and only changed because I just couldn't handle the small screen. I love the note and so far have no complaints, but I realize that 45 days doesn't make me an expert on it by no means. Most of what I use the phone for is calls, and web browsing, along with some stock related stuff. Not much of a gamer, so I haven't done much of that. Never been the type to download hundreds of various apps, so I wouldn't know about may of the problems others have. This Galaxy Note is my first Android, as well as my first Samsung phone. So far so good. Loving the large screen, but always carry a spare battery with me when I'm out.
If Apple had a larger screen, I would still be with iPhone. If they surprise everyone with something larger than 4" this Fall, I'd consider changing back.

Euphonius
Apr 2, 2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the honest post. Its nice to read some genuine honesty on here for a change.
I'm new to Android, and only changed because I just couldn't handle the small screen. I love the note and so far have no complaints, but I realize that 45 days doesn't make me an expert on it by no means. Most of what I use the phone for is calls, and web browsing, along with some stock related stuff. Not much of a gamer, so I haven't done much of that. Never been the type to download hundreds of various apps, so I wouldn't know about may of the problems others have. This Galaxy Note is my first Android, as well as my first Samsung phone. So far so good. Loving the large screen, but always carry a spare battery with me when I'm out.
If Apple had a larger screen, I would still be with iPhone. If they surprise everyone with something larger than 4" this Fall, I'd consider changing back.

I've played with a mate's Note for a while, even helped him get some roms on it, it's a nice device, though a bit too big for me.

I say immerse yourself in the ecosystem, it's great for playing around with. I just got fed up after a while, though I did have a lot of fun trying out the roms. I think XDA developers are just starting to get some ICS roms stable for the Note, I'd recommend trying some out, but only if you're prepared to, as I say, tinker around a bit.
ICS is a step in the right direction, I just don't think Google are quite there yet.

kdarling
Apr 2, 2012, 02:07 PM
I think it is. Whats the point of buying a new Android phone when 3 months later they are going to put out one with more processors, more RAM, a new OS and a bigger and/or better screen?

Likewise, what's the point of always having to wait a year (or more) before we can buy a newer iOS device?

Your phone you just paid a bunch of money for and the version of Android its running is outdated within 6 months time and oh yea, you are stuck with it another year and a half. Great fun isn't it?

How is that any different from buying an iPhone one to six months before the next model comes out, and "being stuck with it for a year or more"? How many times have you heard the advice given to people that they should not buy an iPhone right then, "because a later model will be out in a few months more"?

I'd love it if Apple had new models more often. That way, we wouldn't have just the choice of an older device nine months after it came out... or feel like we have to "wait for the next model".

See, it works both ways.

... my anti-iPhone feelings about this are in part because of Apple's "extortion" of requiring me to pay them $100 a year so that I can install apps that I've written on my own iOS device.

A lot of developers upload their personal apps to the App Store as free apps to avoid that.

That's partly why I prefer using Android for apps for my family and myself. I also enjoy being able to create my own apps for my Android watch, the WIMM One (http://www.wimm.com/).

BiggAW
Apr 2, 2012, 02:11 PM

Yeah, I've seen a lot of that too, which really shocks me, given that they are Verizon subs and could have had Verizon 4G LTE instead.

lilcosco08
Apr 2, 2012, 02:32 PM
I'm not a huge fan of android. However, if there was ever to be a viable WebOS powered handset to come out, I'd buy it.

I loves me some WebOS

batting1000
Apr 2, 2012, 03:11 PM
Here is a great article that sums up the mess Android has become

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/23/2651347/a-good-smartphone-comes-but-once-a-year

Disagree. With iOS, if there's something you don't like about the new device, you gotta wait till next year to get new hardware and features. If you have an older model iPhone, you get left out when that new iPhone comes out and you're not eligible for it (although you can do Craigslist). Meanwhile that new iPhone gets bombarded by Android devices which are actually better spec-wise and software-wise until a new one is released which is still based on the standards set by those Android devices.

With Android, you get choice. You've got several different manufacturers producing different sized devices with different features, hardware, cameras, screen sizes, and more. It's evident that users are more happy with choice and the iOS software is just one example. Users of iOS don't find what they want the OS to do out of the box so they're "forced" to jailbreak, in a sense, mainly for customization. You don't need to do that to do what you want with Android. Want a themed launcher? No problem, just download an alternative launcher and a theme you like; there are tons to choose from. I could go on for hours.

Sure, there's fragmentation. It's inevitable when many manufacturers are producing devices for the same platform. But, for example, if you were to eliminate every manufacturer out except one which has a flagship device (most do), you'll see they typically update that model yearly. Take Samsung for example. They released announced the Galaxy S in 2010. They announced the S2 in 2011, improving on the previous model by leaps and bounds. They'll probably be releasing the S3 this year, improving on the S2 by a bunch.

Of course, there are tons of Android devices. But you can pick the one you like and not worry about the rest. Fragmentation really isn't a big deal. Do you really use all the Android devices at once? No, you only use one, the one you like.

Just my opinion.

ChrisTX
Apr 2, 2012, 03:46 PM
Nice story!!

I know it the other way...

Many people I know (me included) moved from 3GS,4,4s to Sammy SGII, Note and different HTC devices.
I hear only good things about their new devices, complaining the will never go back.

And now?

For sure and you will always find people on both sides of the fence.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of that too, which really shocks me, given that they are Verizon subs and could have had Verizon 4G LTE instead.

Didn't the iPhone 4 get released before the HTC thunderbolt Verizon's first LTE device? Secondly the polls already showed that most iPhone 4 owners mistakenly thought they had 4G on their handsets anyway. I don't think most people even know what 4G is. LTE is only good when coupled with good hardware and software IE: iOS, and the iPhone.

Sunsean
Apr 2, 2012, 06:32 PM

+1 This is ultimately what led me from Android to the iphone - the quality of the experience. Android has a lot of pros, but the ultimate user experience, from the ecosystem with my imac at home, to the fluidity and crispness of the UI and apps, is offerred by Apple and ios. As they say "It just works."

BiggAW
Apr 2, 2012, 07:15 PM
If you have an older model iPhone, you get left out when that new iPhone comes out and you're not eligible for it (although you can do Craigslist).

And with Android, you don't get software updates for months and months and months, whereas with Apple you get them a few days before the new phones come out.

And with Android, your phone is obsolete a month later when something new comes out.

I had Android, and I got tired of installing ROM after ROM just to keep up to date.

batting1000
Apr 2, 2012, 07:35 PM
And with Android, you don't get software updates for months and months and months, whereas with Apple you get them a few days before the new phones come out.

And with Android, your phone is obsolete a month later when something new comes out.

I had Android, and I got tired of installing ROM after ROM just to keep up to date.

That is, unless you get the Galaxy Nexus or newest Google device. Android updates must also pass through the carrier for testing. Software has to be tweaked by both the manufacturer and carrier, too.

b24pgg
Apr 2, 2012, 08:56 PM
Not everyone is a slave to consumerism that has to own the latest gadget the day it's released.

Just because a new device is coming out in a month doesn't mean the one you have is going to automatically stop working.

Walter Bell
Apr 2, 2012, 09:09 PM
Not everyone is a slave to consumerism that has to own the latest gadget the day it's released.

Just because a new device is coming out in a month doesn't mean the one you have is going to automatically stop working.

Not only will it continue to work, it isn't obsolete either.

ap3604
Apr 2, 2012, 09:11 PM

Walter Bell
Apr 2, 2012, 09:39 PM
But it sure does mean that the resale value of your few month old Android device is going to plummet. iPhones don't have this problem.

Couldn't imagine how pissed I would be if I bought the Droid Razr and after a month the Droid Razr Maxx came out.

Thank god as iPhone users we don't have this type of nonsense :p

No but the trade off is that we have to stay with the same tech with no improvements. Something sucks? Gotta wait a Year. Want LTE? Gotta wait a year. Want a fix for attenagate? Gotta wait a year.

sracer
Apr 2, 2012, 09:44 PM
A lot of developers upload their personal apps to the App Store as free apps to avoid that.

That's partly why I prefer using Android for apps for my family and myself. I also enjoy being able to create my own apps for my Android watch, the WIMM One (http://www.wimm.com/).
How do you upload personal apps to the app store without a developer's account?

BiggAW
Apr 2, 2012, 10:14 PM
That is, unless you get the Galaxy Nexus or newest Google device. Android updates must also pass through the carrier for testing. Software has to be tweaked by both the manufacturer and carrier, too.

That's the problem. They both slow things down. And sometimes, refuse to update at all. AT&T and Samsuck won't update the SGS to ICS because "it doesn't have enough memory". Yeah, when they add all the bloat. They are pretty much lying, as XDA has several ICS ROMs running on that phone. And that gets me to another problem. In order to have a decent ROM, you have to figure out how to install a 3rd party one from XDA, wipe the device, and then re-install all your software every time a new ROM comes out. ARGH. And they all customize slightly differently.

Yes, the GE devices are immune from that problem, but very few have them. Verizon is even hanging up the updates on the CDMA Gnexs.

You completely missed the point.

How do you upload personal apps to the app store without a developer's account?

Side load?

jeffe
Apr 2, 2012, 10:34 PM
resale value means nothing unless you are going to sell your phone.

But it sure does mean that the resale value of your few month old Android device is going to plummet. iPhones don't have this problem.

Couldn't imagine how pissed I would be if I bought the Droid Razr and after a month the Droid Razr Maxx came out.

Thank god as iPhone users we don't have this type of nonsense :p

Virgo
Apr 2, 2012, 10:40 PM
I had the iPhone 4S for a few months and had to switch to the Samsung Galaxy S2 when it got stolen. I love my new phone for the screen size and snappy 4G that I can tether to my iPad. Also it complements the iPad by not being redundant (iOS)

ap3604
Apr 2, 2012, 10:42 PM

jeffe
Apr 2, 2012, 11:04 PM
I don't understand your comment considering a consumer could purchase a brand new samsung galaxy sII for as low as $9.99 on contract and also forgoe any device protection/insurance plan since the replacement cost of the phone would drop so quickly as you say.

This customer would probably spend less money buying and replacing there hypothetical lost/stolen/broken phone than an iphone user buying a single device plus protection.

Sure... throwing money away makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

sracer
Apr 2, 2012, 11:23 PM
Side load?
My original complaint was about the tightly closed iOS ecosystem where Apple requires a developer to pay $99 a year (for a developer's account) simply to be able to install a personally developed app on that developer's personally owned iOS device.

kdarling responded with, "A lot of developers upload their personal apps to the App Store as free apps to avoid that."

There is no way that I know of to get apps into the App Store without a developer's account.

I am completely stumped as to how your response of "Side load" fits into the discussion. I'm sorry for being overly dense, but how does that fit in with the issue I raised? :confused:

mbell1975
Apr 3, 2012, 01:30 AM
Funny how people converting to Android still mention having an iPad. If you believe Android is so superior to iOS and you drool over specs, why don't you have Xooms or Transformers? I have seen comments saying they don't like Android on tablets...but it's the same OS they claim is so much better. Ah the contradictions.

l0gan5
Apr 3, 2012, 02:06 AM
Sure... throwing money away makes perfect sense :rolleyes:

Throwing money away? What "makes perfect sense", paying £600 for a phone hoping it'll be worth £400 in a year's time just so you can buy another £600 phone or getting a phone for free ?

jeffe
Apr 3, 2012, 03:11 AM
Are you kidding? It really can't be too far fetched to imagine that some people prefer Android on there phones while also preferring the IPAD over the current android tablet implementation. People also buy tablets for different reasons than the phones. What is interesting is the trend of people choosing the Galaxy Note and using it to fill the role of a phone and tablet.

Funny how people converting to Android still mention having an iPad. If you believe Android is so superior to iOS and you drool over specs, why don't you have Xooms or Transformers? I have seen comments saying they don't like Android on tablets...but it's the same OS they claim is so much better. Ah the contradictions.

0m3ga
Apr 3, 2012, 03:36 AM

Well i can tell you that I have an ipad2, and an HP Touchpad with both WebOS and Android ICS 4.0.4 installed in the CM9 dual boot configuration. yes, I have converted to Android in the sense that I use my Touchpad with ICS on it, as Much as I use my ipad2.

I do not believe that ios or Android or WebOS are superior to any other OS, just different. And trust me when I say, the re is nothing wrong with ICS, where the faults lie is with the hardware and the crap UI a manufacturer throws on top of ICS.

kevinof
Apr 3, 2012, 03:59 AM
I don't get these arguments. My fathers Sg2 is not obsolete to him. Yes there is a newer model of some other Android phone out but that makes no difference to him. He's delighted with his phone and his choice.

Also on the ROM thing. I have a galaxy nexus and haven't put on a custom rom. Neither has my father. Yes if you want to tweak you have that choice but the majority of android users will never install a custom rom.

panzer06
Apr 3, 2012, 06:21 AM

Because after trying a Xoom for a year the iPad with its flaws is still a more stable solid device. Doesn't mean I'll go back to an iPhone (unless they come out with a 4.5" or bigger screen). Right now I prefer my Samsung gs2

Cheers,

ChazUK
Apr 3, 2012, 06:43 AM

I've recently bought a Transformer (upgraded from the Xoom) and will be getting an iPad to use alongside it so as to have a "best of both world" scenario going on.

When it comes to a smartphone handset, the "at a glance" information that Android supplies with widgets and Windows Phone with live tiles, plus the notification lights on both my Galaxy Nexus and HTC Titan are something I personally prefer which is why an iPhone is not my preferred handset.

To top this all off, I'll most likely pick up an ARM based Windows 8 tablet once they arrive as most of the stuff that's been shown off on Win8 tablet wise has impressed me.

Why should anyone lock themselves into one platform when they can happily enjoy many?

Contradictions? Perhaps some people aren't so rabidly attached to a single platform as you expect them to be.

maflynn
Apr 3, 2012, 06:51 AM

You realize that we're talking about two different devices. Just because someone has an android phone, means they need to get an android tablet.

I buy the best tool that suites my needs, if that's an android phone great, if that's a tablet so be it. Why do people who get phone be married to the platform?

Sketchr
Apr 3, 2012, 08:09 AM
You realize that we're talking about two different devices. Just because someone has an android phone, means they need to get an android tablet.

I buy the best tool that suites my needs, if that's an android phone great, if that's a tablet so be it. Why do people who get phone be married to the platform?

Agreed. I mean look at me...I have iPhone, android, iPad and Mac. I use some PC for biz....what does that make me? Wait, don't answer that :D

Point is that your should use what suits your needs at the time. Not a one size fits all platform conformity.

cmChimera
Apr 3, 2012, 08:20 AM
I don't understand your comment considering a consumer could purchase a brand new samsung galaxy sII for as low as $9.99 on contract and also forgoe any device protection/insurance plan since the replacement cost of the phone would drop so quickly as you say.

This customer would probably spend less money buying and replacing there hypothetical lost/stolen/broken phone than an iphone user buying a single device plus protection. Contract system that carriers impose pretty much makes everything you are saying look like nonsense.

No but the trade off is that we have to stay with the same tech with no improvements. Something sucks? Gotta wait a Year. Want LTE? Gotta wait a year. Want a fix for attenagate? Gotta wait a year. How is this any different than Android users? The contract system with carriers isn't exactly friendly to people that want to buy a phone every month.

It's not good either way. Besides the already stated point of resale value, no one likes to buy a phone, like it, and then a month later see the exact same phone with better battery life, or a better display. No your phone doesn't stop working, but you end up regretting the purchase because you could have bought a better phone if you waited. It has nothing to do with being a slave and everything to do with not wanting to be screwed by the seller.

mbell1975
Apr 3, 2012, 10:02 AM
Because after trying a Xoom for a year the iPad with its flaws is still a more stable solid device. Doesn't mean I'll go back to an iPhone (unless they come out with a 4.5" or bigger screen). Right now I prefer my Samsung gs2

Cheers,

The only thing that makes the iPad more solid and stable is iOS. So you choose to have a phone with a less solid and stable Android OS because it has....a bigger screen? Lol, ridiculous.

----------

Because both tablet and phone run the same OS. Logic says you would want the same platform phone and tablet just to share apps being one reason. I had an iPad but an Android phone and it was stupid. I had to buy several apps more than once. If you have an iPad and an iPhone, no need to. Not to mention some of the apps are different between the iOS version and the Android version. Saying that iOS is too "walled" in or too controlling but then owning an iPad running ios just makes you look silly.