PDA

View Full Version : Verizon pushed me to get droid

frostbyte32
Mar 3, 2012, 08:27 PM
I walked into Verizon today to get the 4s and the salesman asked me to tell me why I wanted the 4s. When I explained, he tried saying the Razor was better tha the 4s and you got 4g...I explained I wasn't interested and he kept pushing for it and wouldn't leave it alone. He said he kept pushing to the point that I walked out not buying anything because I wasn't giving him my commission.

Do they get some kind of kick back from google for selling droids over iPhones? He said all the salesmen had droids and not iPhones.

Rennir
Mar 3, 2012, 08:32 PM
I've read posts by people claiming to be Verizon employees (and they seemed credible) that pushing people to buy Androids does in fact, get them a bigger commission compared to iPhones.

lordofthereef
Mar 3, 2012, 08:34 PM
They are also trying to get more people onto the 4g bandwagon. Opens up the network congestion. Technically the salesmen aren't even allowed to activate the 4S on their own lines, or they weren;t as recently as a few weeks ago.

ECUpirate44
Mar 3, 2012, 08:35 PM
Verizon makes hardly anything on the sale of iPhones.

chrono1081
Mar 3, 2012, 08:42 PM
I've read posts by people claiming to be Verizon employees (and they seemed credible) that pushing people to buy Androids does in fact, get them a bigger commission compared to iPhones.

Verizon employees make no commission on phones, only on plans. The phones are always sold at a loss to carriers (unless bought for full price without a contract). They make money on the contract.

Source: I have three friends who work as managers at Verizon stores.

Rennir
Mar 3, 2012, 08:46 PM
Verizon employees make no commission on phones, only on plans. The phones are always sold at a loss to carriers (unless bought for full price without a contract). They make money on the contract.

I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info :)

frostbyte32
Mar 3, 2012, 08:47 PM
It was crazy uncomfortable and he kept saying how much faster the 4g is and that I would be locked in to a 2 year contract without it. I didn't expect nor feel like I needed to have to defend my decision to him.

-aggie-
Mar 3, 2012, 08:47 PM
I had an AT&T employee tell me the iPhone sucked and to by a Droid. They had an iPhone and had problems with it.

chrono1081
Mar 3, 2012, 08:50 PM
I stand corrected.

Thanks for the info :)

No prob :) Also I didn't mean to sound snarky in my post! (I just realized it looked snarky).

I *think* they make money off of accessories too but I forget and none have answered my text message yet when I asked about it.

One of my friends is always trying to get me to apply since we were both salesman 12 years ago and he wants someone he knows can sell well so he gave me the entire low down on their pay, how its set up, etc.

Fudd
Mar 3, 2012, 08:55 PM
Were you doing an upgrade or signing a contract for the first time? I just went in and when my turn came up I said I wanted to upgrade to a 4S 64GB, paid for it and walked out.

frostbyte32
Mar 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
Were you doing an upgrade or signing a contract for the first time? I just went in and when my turn came up I said I wanted to upgrade to a 4S 64GB, paid for it and walked out.

Upgrade from an old droid. He was saying not to compar my phone to the new droids because it was apples and oranges. I just wanted to get my phone and walk out lol

crc4
Mar 3, 2012, 09:12 PM
I walked into Verizon today to get the 4s and I walked out not buying anything

That sounds incredibly hard to believe.
You made the huge decision to get a 4s/2yr contract, then left the store not getting anything?

-aggie-
Mar 3, 2012, 09:13 PM
You made the huge decision to get a 4s/2yr contract, then left the store not getting anything?

Uh, WTF?

frostbyte32
Mar 3, 2012, 09:16 PM
TThat sounds incredibly hard to believe.

Thanks, but no. I left empty handed because I wasn't giving him the sell for being insanely biased and giving me false info about the iPhone but yet again i don't need to explain myself to him...or you for that matter.

aneftp
Mar 3, 2012, 09:18 PM
I would never pay $299 on contract for any of Verizon's Android LTE flagship phones. Unless they can sell the razor maxx for less than $199 on contract tell the sales rep it's a no go. Android phones do not retain resale value so you need your Cost basis to be as low as possible.

Are u sure u went to Verizon corp store? Or did u go to Verizon authorized reseller?

I do own a Verizon Galaxy Nexus and an AT&T iPhone 4S.

Surprise they didn't push the Nexus. Oh wait. They want to push the Verizon branded Androids that have crap you can't uninstall.

Yeah the Galaxy Nexus is as close to pure android as you can get with Verizon even though they managed to put two of their apps on there.

chrono1081
Mar 3, 2012, 09:19 PM
Finally got a text from one of my friends.

Verizon employees DO get commission on accessories also. Commission is on accessories and plans only, no commission on phones or on tablets.

To the OP: In electronics retail, usually the sales guys will just sell what they own since they're familiar with it. It does suck though when you get pushy sales people who instead of giving you all your options push you to one thing or another without any valid reason.

RotaryP7
Actually, Verizon pushes it's employees to offer Android instead of iPhone. It makes the company more money, not the employee. He/she gets the same based on the plans. If they didn't really want to sell you the iPhone it's because they were either out of stock or you sir are a baby.

HeyGreggie
They dont make much on the iphones which is why

ixodes
Mar 3, 2012, 09:22 PM
It's important to remember, they may be Verizon sales people, but are still individuals that are subject to inserting their personal opinions & preferences into the conversation. Even though that's a very bad practice, these are not professional highly paid positions. Having expectations that they will perform professionally is unreasonable. Most that I've encountered don't even understand the products they sell. It's just how it is.

Fudd
Mar 3, 2012, 09:32 PM
Upgrade from an old droid. He was saying not to compar my phone to the new droids because it was apples and oranges. I just wanted to get my phone and walk out lol

Wow that sucks. I would probably have done the same if they had been pushy to be honest. I do my research before going to the store, not on a salesman's advice at least for electronics.

crc4
Mar 3, 2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks, but no. I left empty handed because I wasn't giving him the sell for being insanely biased and giving me false info about the iPhone but yet again i don't need to explain myself to him...or you for that matter.

So he was the only associate in the store, no one else could help you? :confused:
(so what, you're just not going to get a 4s now because of that guy?)

frostbyte32
Mar 3, 2012, 09:40 PM
So he was the only associate in the store, no one else could help you? :confused:

I wasn't waiting for the only other associate who probably had the same practices....I will wait until I am back in my hometown to deal with my local store.

Apple...
Mar 3, 2012, 09:41 PM
I would've been like "Dude, Droids suck. Now give me my iPhone or I'm getting your manager." Problem solved.

Fudd
Mar 3, 2012, 09:41 PM
Might be better to just order it online?

frostbyte32
Mar 3, 2012, 09:46 PM
Might be better to just order it online?

How long is shipping

braddick
Mar 3, 2012, 09:49 PM
Strangely coincidental. I went to a McDonalds today and the guy kept pushing for me to purchase the Quarter Pounder when I wanted the Big Mac.

I too left without buying anything.
:(

Fudd
Mar 3, 2012, 10:00 PM
How long is shipping

Right now it's probably 2 days.

I paid for my phone around Oct 30th and my notification said shipping date was Nov 11th. The phone arrived on Nov 6th. Of course there was a shortage back then and yet my store still had a few white 64GBs in stock. (I wanted black.)

Another thing occurred to me, maybe you can just pick it up in a nearby Apple store instead? You're guaranteed not to get pushed towards droids there. :D

----------

Strangely coincidental. I went to a McDonalds today and the guy kept pushing for me to purchase the Quarter Pounder when I wanted the Big Mac.

This analogy kind of fails. The OP had a fallback in his pocket already. Did you have an old Big Mac in your pocket already to avoid going hungry? :D

(Btw, one word to people who carry burgers and sandwiches in their pockets - Gross!)

frostbyte32
Mar 3, 2012, 10:05 PM
Right now it's probably 2 days.

I paid for my phone around Oct 30th and my notification said shipping date was Nov 11th. The phone arrived on Nov 6th. Of course there was a shortage back then and yet my store still had a few white 64GBs in stock. (I wanted black.)

Another thing occurred to me, maybe you can just pick it up in a nearby Apple store instead? You're guaranteed not to get pushed towards droids there. :D

Thanks! Might do that since I am out of town until Monday evening.

Buildbright
Mar 3, 2012, 10:08 PM

If you are getting Poor customer service you should never accept it. No mater if you tell the manager or go to another store. I won't give my money to bad service.

The OP did the right thing. Verizon makes more money on droids since they come with bloatware and they lose revenue through the text messaging scam with iMessage on the iPhone.

frostbyte32
Mar 3, 2012, 10:19 PM
I have no prob with him doing his job, but when I say 3 times that i am not interested and want to mess around on the 4s display before purchasing and he keeps trying to sell the Razor and then other droids to me..I am walking. I am not giving him a sale for being pushy. I have no problem exercising my right to take my business to another store that would gladly sell me what I am asking for without a fight.

irod87
Mar 3, 2012, 10:28 PM
You should have told him he can keep his stinking RAZR and to go fetch your iPhone haha.....leaving was the right thing to do.

I would have been like, look bro cool story but uh get me what im asking for or im leaving.

Masputo14
Mar 3, 2012, 10:29 PM
I don't know if they get commission or not. Almost every Verizon employee I've seen has a Droid. When I was on vacation in L.A. I purchased my iPhone 4 and all the employees had the Charge and the Droid X. This past weekend I went to look at the Nexus and saw 4 workers charging their Nexus phones. No wireless provider makes a dime on the iPhone. They sell it a major loss to lock you into a 2 year contract.

RolandNights
Mar 3, 2012, 10:31 PM
I don't see why you're getting so much flack about walking out without the phone. I'm not sure where you live, but there's two Verizon stores and one Verizon reseller within 10 miles of my house, not including two Best Buys. If I don't like the customer service at one, I have plenty options to get my phone elsewhere.

His or anyone else's commission is none of your concern. The sales associate has a job to do, but in the end, he should respect what the customer has researched and has decided. By being outright pushy, he revealed his bias and agenda and if I were a customer, I wouldn't trust his opinion on anything else (plans, accessories, etc.) because I know it's what HE wants me to buy as opposed to what's best for me.

sdsvtdriver
Mar 5, 2012, 03:32 AM
How long is shipping

store.apple.com

ljonesj
Mar 5, 2012, 06:37 AM
Really odd when i switched from tmobile to verizon in december i wanted a 4s but my store did not have them i went with a 8gb 4 and they had no problems. When the lady was setting up our phones i was talking to her about not wanting the android phone as the os is so fragmented. she was telling me they had more customers bringing back android phones as they were bricked and other issues were people were installing apps not desinged to run on there phones. she had an iphone and loved it

DollaTwentyFive
Mar 5, 2012, 09:42 AM
Maybe I can shed a little light on the subject. So as not to incriminate myself, let's say that I have been "affiliated" with a top Verizon national Premium Retailer.

The bottom line is that Verizon would prefer that you do not buy an iPhone. Why? Because the purchase of the iPhone from Apple costs them substantially more than purchasing any android phone. I have read that to purchase an iPhone from Apple, it costs the carriers roughly $400.

Also, for dealers anyway, the commission on the iPhone is paid differently than the commission on any other phone.

For example - when you sign a customer up for a two year contract, you are paid a certain amount from Verizon. Roughly $130-$190 depending on the price of the rate plan and the part of the country that you are in. So to the poster who said reps are not paid on the phones only the plans, that is partially true.

However - if you sell a smartphone. And they only want you to sell smartphones, you also get paid based on the phone. Verizon breaks their smartphones up into tiers. 4G droids that they want pushed are in the highest paying tier. 3G droids that that don't want you to sell are in a lower paying tier. So, in fact, in the dealer world you are paid based on the phone you sell. This compensation ranges from about $110-250 per phone. You can be sure, whatever droids are being pushed, they are the ones at the higher end of the scale.

So let's review. You sign a customer up for two years. Verizon gives you money for the contracted plan plus more money if you sell a smartphone. This isn't pure profit. It is offset by the price paid for the device. For example, we paid about &400 for a Samsung Charge and about $500 for a Nexus S. so you have to subtract that out of the equation and you get a net profit per phone.

Due to commissions being different on different phones and the costs of those phones being different, obviously the profit per phone is different on every phone. Want to know what the most profitable phones are? Go into a Verizon store and see what is being pushed.

Let's further complicate this. These rules don't apply to an iPhone. Verizon pays to the dealers (and presumably the corporate reps) a flat commission for each iPhone. The iPhone 4S 16GB costs the dealer roughly $650-$670 to purchase. No matter which iPhone is sold or which plan it is on, the profit on the iPhone is around $120-130 to the dealer. Why is this significant?

A lot of sales reps in the dealer world are paid based on the profitability of the sale. So if they are paid a 20% commission on the profit and they sell an iPhone with a profit of $120, they get a commission of $24 to sell that iPhone.

Take a droid sale. Between Verizon's "advanced device tier compensation" and the rate plan and any spiffs going on. Yes, that's right, phones that Verizon is trying to push have extra money paid on them. A droid sale could generate a profit of $250-$300. If a rep is looking at a sale with a $300 profit at 20%, then it is $60 in their pocket vs $24. Nwhich one do you think they will push on you?

This is the way Verizon wants it. M iPhones cut into their margins. Droid phones with theirs crappy build quality and commoditization, are relatively cheap. They want iPhone treated as a loss leader. Everything that I have seen is that Verizon uses the iPhone to get you in the door and then the rep is supposed to flip you to a droid. If the public were to see the inner workings, I promise you people would be switching to Straight Talk for their iPhone.

I see a lot of mis information about how reps are paid commissions. I have quite a bit of experience with the dealer channel. Feel free to fire away with any questions.

Now obviously there are reps and stores and dealers that don't behave this way. The truth is that with an android sale, the customer is back in the store 3-5 times with issues. The android OS isn't bad necessarily, it's just a lot more complex and confusing - to the mass market - than the simplicity of iOS. After an android sale, the customer if often frustrated. After an iPhone sale, the customer returns 0-1 times with issues and they are generally happier because "it just works."

Don't think this doesn't play a role. the stores want customers coming back as often as possible. Nevery time you are in front of a customer, you have an opportunity to sell them more. A $30 car charger that costs $3.50. A 4G Jetpack mobile broadband device. A home phone connect device. The more the customer comes in with android problems, the more money you can make from them. With iPhone, they don't have many issues. Which means there is no face time to make money.

Jordan921
Mar 5, 2012, 09:53 AM
Is there not an Apple store you can go to?

BiggAW
Mar 5, 2012, 10:10 AM
It was crazy uncomfortable and he kept saying how much faster the 4g is and that I would be locked in to a 2 year contract without it. I didn't expect nor feel like I needed to have to defend my decision to him.

Well, he's right. It's been crazy to get an iPhone on Verizon all along, since we knew LTE was coming when the iPhone 4 launched on Verizon, and the 4S has been hugely overshadowed by 4G LTE.

I've played with the DROID RAZR MAXX, and while it's no iPhone, if I was on Verizon, I would, without a doubt, get that phone.

Considering how much Verizon has spent on their 4G LTE network, and how it is deployed on greenfield spectrum, it is nuts to buy a non-4G phone at this point. If you really want an iPhone, wait until the fall, and get the 5 with LTE.

Oddly enough, however, the sales numbers show that American consumers are dumb, and have bought more iPhones than 4G LTE Android devices on Verizon.

Conversely, if you are dying for an iPhone now, switch to AT&T's enhanced 3G network.

Jordan921
Mar 5, 2012, 10:14 AM
Well, he's right. It's been crazy to get an iPhone on Verizon all along, since we knew LTE was coming when the iPhone 4 launched on Verizon, and the 4S has been hugely overshadowed by 4G LTE.

I've played with the DROID RAZR MAXX, and while it's no iPhone, if I was on Verizon, I would, without a doubt, get that phone.

Considering how much Verizon has spent on their 4G LTE network, and how it is deployed on greenfield spectrum, it is nuts to buy a non-4G phone at this point. If you really want an iPhone, wait until the fall, and get the 5 with LTE.

Oddly enough, however, the sales numbers show that American consumers are dumb, and have bought more iPhones than 4G LTE Android devices on Verizon.

Conversely, if you are dying for an iPhone now, switch to AT&T's enhanced 3G network.

You have proof the next iPhone will definitely have LTE?

TallGuy1970
Mar 5, 2012, 10:15 AM

Hey, it looks like the OP's salesman is on MacRumors....

BiggAW
Mar 5, 2012, 10:17 AM
The android OS isn't bad necessarily, it's just a lot more complex and confusing - to the mass market - than the simplicity of iOS.

That's just a matter of user stupidity. Sure, the menus in Android make absolutely no sense, and have five places to find the same thing, but iOS has a lot of hidden shortcuts and such that are non-obvious. Each has it's ups and downs.

I had a learning curve switching from Android to iPhone, even having been a long time iPod Touch user. The biggest difference I see is the smoothness. I was playing with the MAXX last night, and a text came in, and the keyboard froze for probably 750ms, whereas on the iPhone, the whole thing would have been smooth as butter.

The issue I see is that I know my 4S will be good for 3+ years of life, whereas any given Android phone might only last a year before being obsolete and not getting the latest software upgrades and such. However, on Verizon, that luxury doesn't exist, as their iPhone is already obsolete, since they are moving to 4G LTE, where AT&T might be going there at some point in the future, but they haven't announced any plans for LTE coverage on the 95% of their network that is not in a major urban area, and have enhanced 3G that is fast enough for now.

----------

You have proof the next iPhone will definitely have LTE?

It's pretty well agreed that Apple will wait until the Qualcomm chipsets for LTE deliver the performance they need.

If the next iPhone is not 4G, it will not be on Verizon at all, as Verizon has ruled that all new smart devices on their network will be 4G LTE capable.

Jordan921
Mar 5, 2012, 10:25 AM
It's pretty well agreed that Apple will wait until the Qualcomm chipsets for LTE deliver the performance they need.

If the next iPhone is not 4G, it will not be on Verizon at all, as Verizon has ruled that all new smart devices on their network will be 4G LTE capable.

Well that still isn't much proof.

kicko
Mar 5, 2012, 10:49 AM
I would've been like "Dude, Droids suck. Now give me my iPhone or I'm getting your manager." Problem solved.

I saw the same thing happen when the iphone first came on to the verizon network. An older couple was looking to get 2 iphones and the sales person was talking them into droids hardcore. I actually had to leave i couldnt hear such BS comments like, iphone doesnt have a removable battery.

Movaiz
Mar 5, 2012, 10:55 AM
SoftBank are better. They never tried to push me into buying anything.

Jordan921
Mar 5, 2012, 11:01 AM
SoftBank are better. They never tried to push me into buying anything.

That doesn't help us U.S customers at all

nburwell
Mar 5, 2012, 01:37 PM
He said he kept pushing to the point that I walked out not buying anything because I wasn't giving him my commission.

You did the absolute right thing. This is why I mainly purchase my phones via Verizon's web site. I don't feel like dealing with their employee's trying to push me into something I don't want.

Although when my girlfriend and I went into our local Verizon store to upgrade her to the 4S, the saleman we dealt with didn't push her towards a Droid at all. Although as soon as he approached us, she stated right away she wanted to upgrade to the 4S, but I'm sure it all depends on the personality of the Sales Associate too.

apollo1444
Mar 5, 2012, 01:42 PM

problem solved right there ^

tsolt
Mar 5, 2012, 01:47 PM
I had my verizon sales lady do that to me but I still said no and got my 4s up from the 4.

But to the real reason I replied.

If I'm right I was over hearing a conversation about the droid razr and some kind of contest I believe they are just trying to make sell's for this.

Wide opeN
Mar 5, 2012, 01:55 PM
Yeah, this is also a power play by VZW to minimize Apple control over them as much as possible.

Let's forget that up until like the last 1-2 years VZW was THE biggest control freak in the Wireless Industry.

Trust... they don't like being told what to do, so, this is their little way of getting back.

scaredpoet
Mar 5, 2012, 02:03 PM
I had my verizon sales lady do that to me but I still said no and got my 4s up from the 4.

But to the real reason I replied.

If I'm right I was over hearing a conversation about the droid razr and some kind of contest I believe they are just trying to make sell's for this.

This. They are trying VERY hard to move droid RAZRs, even offering them for free to "loyal" Verizon customers. Whether Motorola is giving them an extra enticement to do so, or whenever it's because Verizon bought way more of these things than people are willing to buy is anyone's guess at this point.

tsolt
Mar 5, 2012, 02:22 PM
Motorola is known for doing this kind of stuff.

john1c
Mar 5, 2012, 02:22 PM
If it wasnt a corporate store then most likely that store does not get a lot of iphones to sell.. thats why they were pushing you to purchase a droid because its a lot easier to get

cynics
Mar 5, 2012, 02:27 PM
That's weird! I've never heard a bad thing about any salesman!

I'm sure there are plenty of Verizon employees that honestly believe the razr or whatever is better and think they were doing you a favor. I have to admit a Verizon iPhone is pretty lousey, I keep mine tethered to a 4g tablet all day when I'm working. My best 3G speed test ever is 2.5 mb down, my worst 4g was around 8 mb down. Both tested from the iPhone.

If I was AT&T I would only want an iPhone. But on Verizon well it's debatable.

AlabamaSlammer
Mar 5, 2012, 02:37 PM
I have been a Verizon customer for about 5 years now. I will NEVER own another Motorola phone!! I have been locked into a 2 year contract with my Motorola Droid 2 (early upgrade on 4-12-12) and i couldn't handle it anymore. I bought an iPhone 4s off contract the day it came out. But I am not going to get locked into a 4g phone for 2 years when my area doesn't offer 4g service. I would have to travel about an hour+ to use the 4g service. So until my area gets 4g, it just doesn't make since for me to purchase or upgrade to a 2 year contract with a phone that has a service I can't use. Plus I think from now own I will only purchase phones off contract. It is more expensive but I just love the fact of knowing I'm not locked into a contract.

Again this is just my opinion on the 4g lte. Even if the new iPhone comes with a bigger screen and a new redesign, I have to say if it does come with 4g lte i will not upgrade to it either.

b24pgg
Mar 5, 2012, 02:53 PM
Verizon store employees are sales people. If they're talking to you, they're trying to squeeze as much $ out of you as they possibly can. That is their only objective.

Applejuiced
Mar 5, 2012, 03:00 PM
I have no prob with him doing his job, but when I say 3 times that i am not interested and want to mess around on the 4s display before purchasing and he keeps trying to sell the Razor and then other droids to me..I am walking. I am not giving him a sale for being pushy. I have no problem exercising my right to take my business to another store that would gladly sell me what I am asking for without a fight.

I hate pushy salespeople. In every type of business, not just cell phones.
Some car salesman are even worst.
If I felt uncomfortable and didnt like his attitude or approach I'd walk too.
Its my money, my business and I choose what I want.
Next time I'd suggest going to Apple, you'll have a much better experience.

BiggAW
Mar 5, 2012, 06:17 PM
Yeah, this is also a power play by VZW to minimize Apple control over them as much as possible.

Let's forget that up until like the last 1-2 years VZW was THE biggest control freak in the Wireless Industry.

Trust... they don't like being told what to do, so, this is their little way of getting back.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that Verizon ever took the iPhone in the first place. They didn't need it. Sure, it boosted up their smartphone sales, but they have "the network".

It's interesting to walk into an AT&T store, and then a Verizon store. The Verizon store has two big inviting islands with Android phones on them, mostly 4G LTE, and then a little display on the side with the iPhone. The AT&T store has a big iPhone display up front, and then the Android phones behind that.

----------

Well that still isn't much proof.

You think Apple would launch a new iPhone without Verizon? Imagine the people who would be PISSED about that.

lilo777
Mar 5, 2012, 06:39 PM

And the loss on the phones is much higher for iPhones than for Android phones. I have no idea whether the salesmen at Verizon get any commision but as a company Verizon is obviously very interested in selling any phones but iPhones. There is a very simple way for Verizon to solve the problem described by OP - opffer the same subsidy to all phones. Then the company and the sale reps would be equally interested in selling all phones.

Jordan921
Mar 5, 2012, 06:47 PM
You think Apple would launch a new iPhone without Verizon? Imagine the people who would be PISSED about that.

Because Verizon is the only carrier right?

lilo777
Mar 5, 2012, 06:50 PM

Nope. Because this would decrease the number of potential iPhone owners and Apple can't afford it at this moment. Any such thing and their stock would go sharply down.

chrf097
Mar 5, 2012, 06:57 PM
1) Never buy a contracted iPhone anywhere else than from Apple.

2) Wether it be AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, C Spire or another carrier that has the iPhone, they always push their Android lineups because that is their most profitable. it Sprint got most of their phone sales from the iPhone, they would be pushing the iPhone like crazy. Same for AT&T and Verizon and C Spire. That's not the case for them though. They sell more Android devices.

3) Verizon really wants people to move onto 4G LTE. Hell, pretty much over half on the US is already covered by Verizon's 4G LTE, and it is *REALLY* fast. Verizon has already said that they want (almost) all new phones and smartphones to be 4G LTE compatible (Which is why there are no new Windows Phones, because Windows Phone can't support 4G LTE).

4) Verizon Employees are pushed to sell Androids because Verizon is really an Android carrier. They've been rated numerous times as the best carrier for Android, as well as being the company to get Android to the marketshare it has today, as well as helping Android bring strong playing cards to the table. Verizon could easily drop the iPhone like a fly and STILL be the top US carrier. It's mega-powerful.

Apple Expert
Mar 5, 2012, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that Verizon ever took the iPhone in the first place. They didn't need it. Sure, it boosted up their smartphone sales, but they have "the network".

It's interesting to walk into an AT&T store, and then a Verizon store. The Verizon store has two big inviting islands with Android phones on them, mostly 4G LTE, and then a little display on the side with the iPhone. The AT&T store has a big iPhone display up front, and then the Android phones behind that.

----------

Apple will continue to release the iPhone with the current carriers. Verizon will not be left out. If anything I see Verizon passing AT&T in the long run. Verizon network and LTE will exceed AT&T any day.

Leonard1818
Mar 5, 2012, 07:27 PM
WTF?

I don't get this story. I walked into Verizon on/around November 14th. It went like this:

Greeter asked me what I was in for
I told Greeter I was due for an upgrade.
Greeter put my name in.
Salesperson came up to me and introduced herself
I told Salesperson that I wanted an iPhone 4S
Salesperson said they had to be ordered.
We walked over and ordered one.
I walked out with a receipt.

I guess what I don't get is why there was ever any room for the salesperson to try to sell you anything other than what you came in to get. You must have had some sense of doubt in your interaction or something. Like the one poster said on the last page -- it's like the person at McDonalds trying to tell you to order something different. If you SAY "I want XYZ" how do they even have opportunity to try to sell you something else. Say "I want XYZ" and if they say "ABC is so much better" say "That's great but I came in for XYZ..." and you're done.

BiggAW
Mar 5, 2012, 09:33 PM

For some people it is. More like people who are contracted in on family plans and want the latest iPhone.

Apple will continue to release the iPhone with the current carriers. Verizon will not be left out. If anything I see Verizon passing AT&T in the long run. Verizon network and LTE will exceed AT&T any day.

Verizon won't take it if it doesn't have 4G LTE. And that wouldn't significantly hurt Verizon. Verizon is the only carrier that holds more power than Apple. AT&T is dependent on Apple. I'm actually surprised Verizon ever took the iPhone. Sure, it helped them move smartphones out the door faster, but they would have been fine without it.

Verizon has a huge advantage given their spectrum position for 4G LTE. Personally, I'm sticking with AT&T for a while, but Verizon is going to go basically uncontested in terms of the absolute best network with 4G LTE.

Apple Expert
Mar 5, 2012, 09:47 PM
For some people it is. More like people who are contracted in on family plans and want the latest iPhone.

Verizon won't take it if it doesn't have 4G LTE. And that wouldn't significantly hurt Verizon. Verizon is the only carrier that holds more power than Apple. AT&T is dependent on Apple. I'm actually surprised Verizon ever took the iPhone. Sure, it helped them move smartphones out the door faster, but they would have been fine without it.

Verizon has a huge advantage given their spectrum position for 4G LTE. Personally, I'm sticking with AT&T for a while, but Verizon is going to go basically uncontested in terms of the absolute best network with 4G LTE.

I'm sure Apple begged Verizon to sell the iPhone. You must be out of your mind! Verizon is doing well because of the iPhone. Sales were really good for them last quarter. Having a head start on 4G LTE is a big plus. However even Verizon said only 5% of their customers are on 4G. They have roughly about 100 million customers, so 5 million are 4G customers. Verizon knows the iPhone will bring customers in. In the fall once the next iPhone is released it will have LTE! Verizon is banking on it. AT&Trash should of expanded it's LTE and not rebrand it to 4G to trick consumers. I'm so glad I left AT&Trash.

BiggAW
Mar 5, 2012, 09:52 PM
I'm sure Apple begged Verizon to sell the iPhone. You must be out of your mind! Verizon is doing well because of the iPhone. Sales were really good for them last quarter. Having a head start on 4G LTE is a big plus. However even Verizon said only 5% of their customers are on 4G. They have roughly about 100 million customers, so 5 million are 4G customers. Verizon knows the iPhone will bring customers in. In the fall once the next iPhone is released it will have LTE! Verizon is banking on it. AT&Trash should of expanded it's LTE and not rebrand it to 4G to trick consumers. I'm so glad I left AT&Trash.

You just reinforced my point. Verizon holds the power, and if Apple doesn't do LTE on the next iPhone, Verizon just won't carry it.

AT&T's enhanced 3G network is excellent in many areas. Unfortunately, the federal government decided that AT&T should be put in a bad position by not allowing them to acquire T-Mobile USA from DT.

Apple Expert
Mar 5, 2012, 09:57 PM
You just reinforced my point. Verizon holds the power, and if Apple doesn't do LTE on the next iPhone, Verizon just won't carry it.

AT&T's enhanced 3G network is excellent in many areas. Unfortunately, the federal government decided that AT&T should be put in a bad position by not allowing them to acquire T-Mobile USA from DT.

Why do you think next iPhone won't be LTE? If next iPad is rumored to have LTE and iPhone generally follows iPad upgrades, it's almost a sure thing it will have it. AT&T customer don't want it to be LTE since no LTE is to be found on their network. I think they are up to 30 cities nationwide, correct?

They decided it was because AT&T is trash and didn't want them to spread more poor service to everyone.

Applejuiced
Mar 5, 2012, 10:05 PM
Nope. Because this would decrease the number of potential iPhone owners and Apple can't afford it at this moment.

Im sure Apple can afford many things with their billions in the bank.
Losing one carrier would be bad but not something that they cannot afford.

PracticalMac
Mar 5, 2012, 10:38 PM
I wrote email toe T-Mo CEO about iPhone and that I could NOT get an Android, I did NOT want to hear about Android, but the Marketing officer Cole Brodman emailed and told me about Android....

T-Mo also called later and they at least listened and did not push Android, did what they with iPhone.

ucfgrad93
Mar 5, 2012, 11:05 PM

Me too.

Shanekarpi251
Mar 6, 2012, 11:18 AM

Verizon employees DO get commission on accessories also. Commission is on accessories and plans only, no commission on phones or on tablets.

To the OP: In electronics retail, usually the sales guys will just sell what they own since they're familiar with it. It does suck though when you get pushy sales people who instead of giving you all your options push you to one thing or another without any valid reason.

That makes sense because a couple years ago when I went to upgrade my phone I was set on getting a Motorola Droid X and the sales person convinced me to get a Samsung Fascinate which is what he had been using. Those tricky b@st@rd$!

blairh
Mar 6, 2012, 01:46 PM
The problem is that people allow themselves to be manipulated by sales associates. Do your homework beforehand. Research what the carrier of your choice carries online. All your answers are on the internet. Save your time in store simply for testing the actual phone out in person. Don't walk into a store and allow yourself to be swayed.

I always take the time to look at phones by myself and then will seek out potential help if I have specific questions. Otherwise if you let a sales rep talk up or down phones it is to your disadvantage. I see this all the time at any electronics retailers. Some consumers walk in and essentially let the sales rep dictate things (which is a shame really).

I can't speak for Verizon because I've been with AT&T since I went iPhone in 2008. I will say that the last time I was in an AT&T store (to play with the new Note) I overheard a sales rep tell a customer that they should get an iPhone over an Android device. That's fine I guess but I do think a sales rep is better off speaking positively about all their smartphones and then expressing opinions when the customer starts making specific inquiries. But that is more about being a good sales rep, etc.

Anyways, the point is don't let any sales rep talk you into anything. Do your homework beforehand and go with your gut when it comes time to purchase. Lastly most if not all places have some sort of return window where if you truly hate your new phone you aren't entirely screwed.

iphone3Gnewbie9
Mar 6, 2012, 02:17 PM
If you are going to buy an apple product ie: iphone, buy it from APPLE. I have never bought from AT&T or Verizon, and have purchased every iphone directly from Apple. I'm now on my 4th iphone. My experience has always been, I buy what I want, and the sales person has always been helpful. Easy peasy :)!!

tsolt
Mar 6, 2012, 02:26 PM
I still think it was a contest sort of thing, just sayin.

Derpy
Mar 6, 2012, 02:43 PM
I went in the other day to check on my upgrade, which I get on Monday. I currently have a Droid 1 and have been want the 4S since they were announced. The sales guy tried to talk me into getting a 4G Droid. I've had a nightmare with my Droid, it's slow, battery life is inconsistent, apps crash like the Hindenburg (even Music and the dialer). Plus they claim that they are getting 4G in the area of the store in summer. I really doubt it though, I live in the middle of nowhere and I don't want to play for a service I can't use at the moment. I basically explained that I had read the reviews and wanted to go with the iPhone due to iOS seeming to be a lot more reliable and the fact that 4G phones have terrible battery life (although I do hear good things about the most recent Razor). They finally accepted that I wasn't going to change my mind, so I go in Monday to get my first iPhone.

TL;DR It helps to be stubborn and know about as much about the phones as the staff.

EngageWithRage
Mar 6, 2012, 02:43 PM
Makes sense, Verizon makes ***** off of iPhone because of all subsidies they shelled out to be able to sell us the iPhone at 200$ with a two year contract(or something to that effect). I believe they will be lsing money on this deal for the next 5 years or so lol

On topic when I went into the Verizon store I didn't get any pushback at all, guess it depends where you are located.

BiggAW
Mar 6, 2012, 02:45 PM
Why do you think next iPhone won't be LTE? If next iPad is rumored to have LTE and iPhone generally follows iPad upgrades, it's almost a sure thing it will have it. AT&T customer don't want it to be LTE since no LTE is to be found on their network. I think they are up to 30 cities nationwide, correct?

They decided it was because AT&T is trash and didn't want them to spread more poor service to everyone.

I said the iPhone would be LTE. Read back a few posts.

The NYC and SF AT&T users are going to want LTE real bad, even though most of AT&T's network isn't LTE.

I wrote email toe T-Mo CEO about iPhone and that I could NOT get an Android, I did NOT want to hear about Android, but the Marketing officer Cole Brodman emailed and told me about Android....

T-Mo also called later and they at least listened and did not push Android, did what they with iPhone.

T-Mobile doesn't sell the iPhone, hence they would either be pushing WM7 or Android.

The problem is that people allow themselves to be manipulated by sales associates. Do your homework beforehand.

Quite true. The thing is, homework doesn't result in an iPhone on Verizon.

PracticalMac
Mar 6, 2012, 05:48 PM
T-Mobile doesn't sell the iPhone, hence they would either be pushing WM7 or Android.

It was IRT to iPhone support, even though it is not officially supported.

Point is the CMO of Tmo pushed Android when I specifically told the, with major emphasis, that Android was not an option for me (real reason, not excuse).

BiggAW
Mar 6, 2012, 05:59 PM
It was IRT to iPhone support, even though it is not officially supported.

Point is the CMO of Tmo pushed Android when I specifically told the, with major emphasis, that Android was not an option for me (real reason, not excuse).

Then get off T-Mobile, and get a carrier that actually supports the phone you need. I.e. AT&T. Or if you're in the bay area or Manhattan, put up with Verizon's slow 3G network, since it actually works there.

adnbek
Mar 6, 2012, 06:06 PM

I suppose you're also that guy who spams "Fake!" under Youtube videos...

adnbek
Mar 6, 2012, 06:18 PM
I saw the same thing happen when the iphone first came on to the verizon network. An older couple was looking to get 2 iphones and the sales person was talking them into droids hardcore. I actually had to leave i couldnt hear such BS comments like, iphone doesnt have a removable battery.

Not to criticize but where's the BS in that?

*checks own iPhone*

Nope, can't remove it.

sentinelsx
Mar 6, 2012, 07:08 PM

*checks own iPhone*

Nope, can't remove it.

You can, it is just not so "user friendly" :P

Also he probably means the comments from salespersons were idiotic pushing people over removable batteries, just gotta look at the post from another angle :)

Darthdingo
Mar 6, 2012, 08:04 PM
How anyone can go into a Verizon store and not walk out without a Galaxy- Nexus is crazy. The G-Nexus is hands down the better device compared to stale 4S.

Fudd
Mar 6, 2012, 08:23 PM
How anyone can go into a Verizon store and not walk out without an iPhone 4S is crazy. The iPhone 4S is hands down the better device compared to stale G-Nexus.

thekev
Mar 6, 2012, 08:37 PM

It could be that their boss asked them to push a certain device as well, especially if that one is less costly for the company, but that's speculative. I don't have any way of knowing either way.

Makes sense, Verizon makes ***** off of iPhone because of all subsidies they shelled out to be able to sell us the iPhone at 200$ with a two year contract(or something to that effect). I believe they will be lsing money on this deal for the next 5 years or so lol

On topic when I went into the Verizon store I didn't get any pushback at all, guess it depends where you are located.

I kind of wonder on this. Verizon overall seems to be doing okay. The company isn't headed toward posting losses. I don't have any data to suggest whether or not it was a net gain. I kind of wonder what their margin is over the duration of that contract.

*checks own iPhone*

Nope, can't remove it.

The one that made me laugh was when I had to go to Best Buy even though I hate that place (I needed some random part that day and they happened to stock it). Some jackass salesman suggested to these people that they buy a new hard drive because they had malware (supposedly a virus, but none of these people know the difference anyway). Either way you format the drive with 0s so that it can check for bad sectors since you're writing new data anyway (it has no effect on getting rid of a virus) and install the OS onto the drive. There's absolutely zero difference, but that way I guess he gets to make a sale:rolleyes:.

BiggAW
Mar 6, 2012, 10:27 PM
How anyone can go into a Verizon store and not walk out without a DROID RAZR MAXX is crazy. The DRO

There you go. I fixed it for you. The rest of the post didn't submit because the Gnex's battery ran out.

PracticalMac
Mar 7, 2012, 11:28 AM
Then get off T-Mobile, and get a carrier that actually supports the phone you need. I.e. AT&T. Or if you're in the bay area or Manhattan, put up with Verizon's slow 3G network, since it actually works there.

I did, and got 3 iPhones for $200. :D

kicko
Mar 11, 2012, 06:52 AM

*checks own iPhone*

Nope, can't remove it.

because his argument was that in case your phone freezes up you can't pull the battery. Have you every felt like you had to pull your iPhone battery?

BergerFan
Mar 11, 2012, 07:42 AM
because his argument was that in case your phone freezes up you can't pull the battery. Have you every felt like you had to pull your iPhone battery?I've had every iteration of the iPhone, and I can only remember two or three times, where I had to hard reset(holding down Home and Sleep/wake until I see the Apple logo).

Battery life aside, taking the battery out, due to a crash, is an old-skool practice, from my early 2000's Nokia feature phone days. :D

ChrisTX
Mar 11, 2012, 08:04 AM
Screw getting a droid, I would have smacked that guy upside the head, and demanded a 4S! :D

adnbek
Mar 11, 2012, 02:33 PM
because his argument was that in case your phone freezes up you can't pull the battery. Have you every felt like you had to pull your iPhone battery?

Ah, that's different. Thanks for clarifying the BS part.

ecservices
May 5, 2012, 12:51 PM
Verizon Wireless did not want to sell iPhone to me or another customer.
I specifically asked for an iPhone.
Verizon tried to sell me 4G cell phone for 15 MINUTES because they were better than an iPhone!
This was also happening to another customer, next to me, with a different Verizon sales person!
We will not buy any more cell phones from Verizon.
My business sets up cell phones and personal computer systems for our clients..

kdarling
May 5, 2012, 01:08 PM

Actually, last time my wife accidentally dropped her cell phone into water, I was happy to be able to nearly instantly get the battery out :)

--

Re: cost. Carriers pay about 40% more on average for an iPhone than for other smartphones.

E.g. A carrier has to pay Apple an average of $640 a phone (except the 3GS, around $350), whereas other top smartphones cost the carrier between $450 to $550 wholesale. (Lesser smartphones drop down to $300 or less, some down to $125 cost.)

That's a huge incentive to sell other phones, and it's why many analysts are predicting that carriers will bend over backwards to push Android and Windows phones... and begin to push back at Apple's prices.

It's a interesting standoff. On the one side, Apple is heavily dependent on subsidized sales, and their phone is nothing without the carriers. On the other, carriers want the customer base that wants iPhones.

cynics
May 5, 2012, 01:17 PM
I have a 4S on Verizon. I consider it one of their worst smart phones. Their 3G service is terrible in my area. I wish our salesman would have pushed a Droid.

AT&T on the other hand is a much different story with their faster 3G network.

Ecoh
May 5, 2012, 03:59 PM
I still think it was a contest sort of thing, just sayin.

I managed a store (cameras, not phones) where there were always incentives from a certain manufacturer. Sell so many of a particular model and you get to pick a prize from a catalog. The value of the prize increased as the number of that makers cameras you sold. The sales people would really push that model, unless a customer specifically asked for another by name. Some sales people get very competitive, and think of it as a game.

markie
May 5, 2012, 04:11 PM
Honestly, they're right (and I do think commission is larger on 4G PLANS, though I'm not sure). Buying a Verizon iPhone is stupid now. Want iPhone? Get AT&T or wait for the LTE Verizon iPhone. CDMA is dog-slow. Do you REALLY want to be on CDMA in 2 years? Hell no!

BiggAW
May 5, 2012, 05:41 PM
If you walk into an AT&T store, iPhone is front and center. If you walk into the Verizon store, the iPhone is in a corner, and the DROIDs are front and center. Verizon is still very much invested in DROID, especially since their premiere network, as of right now, is exclusively for Android phones.

markie
May 5, 2012, 06:34 PM
If you walk into an AT&T store, iPhone is front and center. If you walk into the Verizon store, the iPhone is in a corner, and the DROIDs are front and center. Verizon is still very much invested in DROID, especially since their premiere network, as of right now, is exclusively for Android phones.

Well, among other things, selling iPhones would be BAD for Verizon. They don't have the EVDO capacity for them. EVDO has got MUCH worse lately. They NEED to push LTE phones, because EVDO is not a good experience. They don't want tech-savvy people who care at all about performance buying their iPhone, because it's a terrible experience compared to an AT&T iPhone.

Verizon *needs* an LTE iPhone. That's one reason I will not be shocked if a new iPhone comes out at WWDC...

BiggAW
May 6, 2012, 10:03 AM
Well, among other things, selling iPhones would be BAD for Verizon. They don't have the EVDO capacity for them. EVDO has got MUCH worse lately. They NEED to push LTE phones, because EVDO is not a good experience. They don't want tech-savvy people who care at all about performance buying their iPhone, because it's a terrible experience compared to an AT&T iPhone.

Verizon *needs* an LTE iPhone. That's one reason I will not be shocked if a new iPhone comes out at WWDC...

True. I don't think the new one will come out until September. They also pay less subsidy on the Android phones, so it's no wonder they are pushing them.

JediZenMaster
May 6, 2012, 10:51 AM
I don't see how someone can be "pushed" into anything.

When Im in those situations and someone attempts to push me I let them know in a nice way to dial it back.

Free will is such an awesome thing

ECUpirate44
May 6, 2012, 10:54 AM

When Im in those situations and someone attempts to push me I let them know in a nice way to dial it back.

Encouraged or urged is probably a better way to describe it. It's true though, when ones walks into a Verizon store with the intentions to buy an iPhone, the employees always question the customer and try to interest them in an alternative 4G phone.

cwosigns
May 6, 2012, 11:01 AM

And I would argue that the sales numbers show that American consumers are smart, and have bought more iPhones than 4G LTE Android devices on Verizon.

A fast Android...is still an Android.

Bchagey
May 6, 2012, 02:44 PM
I can see there being a lot of unhappy customers when Apple releases their their 4G LTE phone later this year because of they were encouraged, pushed, or urged into to buying a phone running Android and LTE. When the new iPhone comes, I think there will be a lot of folks desperatley trying to sell off their Android phones around the world :)

Tarzanman
May 6, 2012, 02:56 PM
And I would argue that the sales numbers show that American consumers are smart, and have bought more iPhones than 4G LTE Android devices on Verizon.

A fast Android...is still an Android.

In the last two quarters Samsung sold more Galaxy phones than Apple sold iPhones.

What were you saying about sales numbers and smart consumers?

rdowns
May 6, 2012, 03:20 PM
In the last two quarters Samsung sold more Galaxy phones than Apple sold iPhones.

Wrong.

DeathChill
May 6, 2012, 03:27 PM

I suppose we can have fun conversations if we just make things up!

smithrh
May 6, 2012, 03:34 PM
I managed a store (cameras, not phones) where there were always incentives from a certain manufacturer. Sell so many of a particular model and you get to pick a prize from a catalog. The value of the prize increased as the number of that makers cameras you sold. The sales people would really push that model, unless a customer specifically asked for another by name. Some sales people get very competitive, and think of it as a game.

I quoted this to highlight it.

I cannot emphasize enough that salespeople are not in any way, shape or form unbiased and just want to get you set up with a device that's right for you.

The amount of incentives given to sales people to modify their behavior might boggle the minds of people who aren't aware of this. Pre-loaded credit/debit cards, cash, bonuses, commissions, free or subsidized trips, you name it.

"Sell 3 Acme Devices by the end of the day and I'll give you $100."

"Sell 100 Acme Devices this month, and you get a 2-week all-expenses paid trip to Hawaii."

You get the idea. Want to guess what the sales guy/gal is going to push you to when you walk in? Do you think that just maybe it might be an Acme Device?

Plus, all of this can be given a certain amount of plausible deniability. Want to make it look like your sales team doesn't get commission or spiffs? Then have Acme pay it to the reps directly, and you can truthfully say "We don't pay on commission."

Or, pressure the store managers. Or the regional guys. There can be negative consequences for not selling enough Acme Devices too.

Sure it is, and you're practicing free will, good for you.

But do you honestly think everyone going into a Verizon store has the same state of mind that you do? Most won't, and many will go along with the sales rep.

Tarzanman
May 7, 2012, 08:00 AM
Wrong.

I suppose we can have fun conversations if we just make things up!

I will try to track down the source (I read it in another post here)

Here is the fastest link I could find via google. The gist of the article is that "No one really knows, but it probably goes back and forth"

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-04-27/samsung-apple-smartphone-sales/54584550/1
----------EDIT-------------

Found it WAY faster than I thought I would:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14821301&postcount=1103

That would be a false perception. If you're keeping up with the news you'll realise (1) Android dominates the market share, and (2) Samsung sold more Galaxy phones in the last two quarters than Apple sold iPhones; in the most recent quarter by a large margin (44.5M versus 35.1M).

nuckinfutz
May 7, 2012, 08:05 AM
With Samsung we need to know if it is "sold" versus "shipped" the most accurate numbers would come from quarterly earnings calls..

DeathChill
May 7, 2012, 08:44 AM
I will try to track down the source (I read it in another post here)

Here is the fastest link I could find via google. The gist of the article is that "No one really knows, but it probably goes back and forth"

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-04-27/samsung-apple-smartphone-sales/54584550/1
----------EDIT-------------

Found it WAY faster than I thought I would:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14821301&postcount=1103
Uh, Samsung is rumored to have sold 41 million smartphones in the first quarter (though iSuppli disagrees and it's odd that Samsung did not mention a sales increase as they have been previously). Samsung makes a ton of smartphones so that 41 million is all their smartphones. Hell, just a few months ago one of the top selling models in the US was a Bada-based phone made by Samsung.

In short, Samsung did not sell 41 million Galaxy devices.

BiggAW
May 7, 2012, 09:21 AM
Encouraged or urged is probably a better way to describe it. It's true though, when ones walks into a Verizon store with the intentions to buy an iPhone, the employees always question the customer and try to interest them in an alternative 4G phone.

As they should, as 4G LTE is where it's at. Verizon's 3G network is a bogged down mess, and anyone buying an EVDO phone at this point is stupid.

kicko
May 7, 2012, 09:40 AM
Actually, last time my wife accidentally dropped her cell phone into water, I was happy to be able to nearly instantly get the battery out :)

--

Re: cost. Carriers pay about 40% more on average for an iPhone than for other smartphones.

E.g. A carrier has to pay Apple an average of $640 a phone (except the 3GS, around $350), whereas other top smartphones cost the carrier between $450 to $550 wholesale. (Lesser smartphones drop down to $300 or less, some down to $125 cost.)

That's a huge incentive to sell other phones, and it's why many analysts are predicting that carriers will bend over backwards to push Android and Windows phones... and begin to push back at Apple's prices.

It's a interesting standoff. On the one side, Apple is heavily dependent on subsidized sales, and their phone is nothing without the carriers. On the other, carriers want the customer base that wants iPhones.

that might be true but if you want a iphone from verizon and the saleperson is trying to talk you out of it, that becomes BS to me. Believe me... the older couple that both wanted iphones were not concerned about pulling batteries, they simply wanted what they wanted. To talk people out of something they want for something that might not work as well for them is poor sales service.

I was in verizon yesterday with my mother-in-law (as painful as it was :o) and the salesman tried to sell her a LG Lucid for $99 and a $50 mail in rebate. I then said to her why not just order the razr off amazon for 1 penny? The saleman then left us alone to look at all the other phones. :)

Tarzanman
May 7, 2012, 10:30 AM
Uh, Samsung is rumored to have sold 41 million smartphones in the first quarter (though iSuppli disagrees and it's odd that Samsung did not mention a sales increase as they have been previously). Samsung makes a ton of smartphones so that 41 million is all their smartphones. Hell, just a few months ago one of the top selling models in the US was a Bada-based phone made by Samsung.

In short, Samsung did not sell 41 million Galaxy devices.

Alright, then change my statement to say 'smartphones' instead of 'galaxy phones'.

The point still stands

SpasticPat
May 7, 2012, 02:16 PM
yeah I have friends that have shopped there and that work at Verizon stores and they're told to push LTE Smartphones over other ones. This is one reason I hope that Apple releases their new iPhone (5 or the NEW iPhone) sooner then later, they're losing out on marketshare and by the time October gets here there will be 203895398 new Android LTE capable smartphones released...