Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Hi folks,

I'm looking for a simple, no-frills image gallery to embed into a webpage. Ideally, the gallery would:

- Take images from a specified location and auto-generate a table of thumbnails using imagemagick or similar.

- Clicking on a thumbnail would reveal the full-size image

- Each image would have space below it for a name

- The table generated would be simple so that it would unobtrusively fit inside of a normal page.

I've tried Coppermine and some others, but they all have way too many features and are 'self-contained' (i.e. the gallery is a site in and of itself, and hard to style according to the rest of the site).

Preferably such a script would be in PHP, but I'm willing to try anything, really.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Here's a comprehensive discussion on Photo Gallery CMS's over at another site.

iPap comes highly recommended and has recently been updated. Zen Photo seems to be one to keep an eye on.

I was looking for similar solutions to you and ended up going with Flickr in the end. Unfortunately it can't be integrated into your site but it ticked all the other boxes. Easy exporting from iPhoto was a major plus.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
munkle said:
I was looking for similar solutions to you and ended up going with Flickr in the end. Unfortunately it can't be integrated into your site but it ticked all the other boxes. Easy exporting from iPhoto was a major plus.
Actually you can integrate Flickr with sites. I use it on my Wordpress install and it's fantastic. If you don't use Wordpress, but understand PHP fairly well, you could try to extrapolate the code needed from this plugin:

http://www.worrad.com/archives/2005/01/08/flickr-gallery-07/

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Not a php solution, but in iPhoto you can actually make a nice (well easily maintained) html photo album from a given album with File -> Export and choosing the Web Page tab. This makes a html index page with a folder for sub-pages, one for thumbnails and one for the pictures. You can set how many images each index file should have and the sizes of the thumbs and images...

jburrw

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2004
Gallery

I'd suggest using Gallery . It's a great way to share photos. Also, a friend of mine has written a pretty slick plugin for iPhoto that will allow you to export your photos to Gallery. Give it a shot - iPhotoToGallery .

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Many thanks for all of your suggestions! :)

After reviewing each one, I think that the SimplePhotos system (post #3) will be best for me to work with, as looks like it requires the least CSS wrangling in order to match my current site's style.

I must say though that all of the suggestions are quite nice and I will keep them in mind (and this thread bookmarked) for future reference.

Once again thanks for your help everyone. Perhaps once I finish the site (it's for a client) I will post a link here to see what ya folks think of it :cool:

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
dolphin842 said:
After reviewing each one, I think that the SimplePhotos system (post #3) will be best for me to work with, as looks like it requires the least CSS wrangling in order to match my current site's style.

Single developer apps kick ass. I love supporting them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.