Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2011
only reason i ask is that i use my MBA every day...all day...love it, however my battery is reporting 88% health :-(

cycles == 94

I bought it the day the 2011 model came out.

Is it worth running from full charge down to absolute zero until it dies despite what this site says?

Thx

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
My battery on my MBA 11 is reporting 93% after 87 cycles, not too bad, i think they will go lower and higher over time, don't worry about it, can always get the battery replaced under warranty if it continues to dive.

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2011
My battery on my MBA 11 is reporting 93% after 87 cycles, not too bad, i think they will go lower and higher over time, don't worry about it, can always get the battery replaced under warranty if it continues to dive.

what's the warrenty policy on battery replacement? does it need to meet some lower limit to require or can you just walk in and say. "not good enough..please replace"

thanks

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Calibrate your battery at least once a month, that should be enough.
The battery's reported health does change continuously, don't worry about it.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
Had my MBA for well over a year, never calibrated the battery and it reports 100%.

Battery calibration is nonsense and the effect it gives the owner is placebo, nothing more.

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Had my MBA for well over a year, never calibrated the battery and it reports 100%.

Battery calibration is nonsense and the effect it gives the owner is placebo, nothing more.

this raises the question....why is yours at 100 and mine in the 80s? how many cycles do you have?

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2011
No idea, perhaps the battery is faulty? Mine reads the following...

Health Information:
Cycle Count: 173
Condition: Normal

ok that makes sense. mine is normal too, however i'm checking health via iStat. You are using only 'system info'. Install iStat into the dashboard and let me know what you get.

thx

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
ok that makes sense. mine is normal too, however i'm checking health via iStat. You are using only 'system info'. Install iStat into the dashboard and let me know what you get.

thx

Ahh...now you see I thought you were talking about battery charge, as that is why a lot of people calibrate their battery when it will no longer report 100% from a full charge.

Anyway, interesting comparison, downloaded it, it's quite a nice little app, I might actually pay for the full version.

In the battery drop down menu it's showing me
Cycles: 173
Health: 94%

Does that help?

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ahh...now you see I thought you were talking about battery charge, as that is why a lot of people calibrate their battery when it will no longer report 100% from a full charge.

Anyway, interesting comparison, downloaded it, it's quite a nice little app, I might actually pay for the full version.

In the battery drop down menu it's showing me
Cycles: 173
Health: 94%

Does that help?

it does help thanks. I'm draining my battery right now. :) i wonder if a full drain will improve my 88%. will report back

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
this raises the question....why is yours at 100 and mine in the 80s? how many cycles do you have?

Battery calibration does not affect how much charge the battery holds. It affects whether the Mac knows correctly what the charge is. So if you go for a long time without calibration, the number displayed is not the truth anymore. After calibration, the display should be correct again.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I don't really think the calibration matters anymore.

I bought this Air on July 21st 2011. I'm on the battery almost everyday and this is what mine looks like.

Screen Shot 2012-03-04 at 7.25.51 PM.png

It goes down to 92% then climbs back up to 96%.

It's not uncommon for me to run it down to almost nothing nearly everyday. I make the battery work. :)

The Smyrk

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2012
Austin, TX
only reason i ask is that i use my MBA every day...all day...love it, however my battery is reporting 88% health :-(

cycles == 94

I bought it the day the 2011 model came out.

Is it worth running from full charge down to absolute zero until it dies despite what this site says?

Thx

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

Weird, I have iStat installed and I have 201 cycles with 91% Health. I think I have only calibrated it once since I got the laptop when it first came out. I would have to agree with the general consensus here that it's not that big of a deal to calibrate it unless you are having problems with the time/percentage being reported incorrectly. It definitely won't improve the battery's overall health.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-03-05 at 7.27.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-03-05 at 7.27.46 PM.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 514

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
From what I have read and info gained from GGJ, I run my battery down to 50% every three days or so ( however, I am not strict on this, I am in and out of Uni all the time so it varies), and completely discharge the battery on the first day of every month.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Calibrate your battery at least once a month, that should be enough.
The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.
No, it's not.
what's the warrenty policy on battery replacement?
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
From what I have read and info gained from GGJ, I run my battery down to 50% every three days or so ( however, I am not strict on this, I am in and out of Uni all the time so it varies), and completely discharge the battery on the first day of every month.
You never have to completely discharge the battery. You only need to put cycles on it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Finally - we've been waiting for you... :)
LOL! With the Battery FAQ appearing in over 1,000 threads on this forum, you'd think there would be less misinformation and confusion about batteries being posted by now. I'm surprised that more people aren't posting the link to it as their first response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.