Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iLounge shares a few items of interest from a "repeatedly reliable source" addressing the possibility of a new Smart Cover-inspired case for the iPad 3 and Apple's work on a new glass-backed design for the iPhone 5 due later this year.

The first claim addresses Apple's plans for protection of the iPad 3. While the current Smart Cover for the iPad 2 is said to still work with the iPad 3, Apple is said to be working on a case that incorporates a Smart Cover-like front panel with a rear shell providing protection for the entirety of the device.
Said to be similar to Incase's Magazine Jacket (and a host of subsequent alternatives that have appeared for the iPad 2), this new case has a folding magnetized Smart Cover on the front, and a rear shell made from fiberglass covered with PU/bicast leather.
The report notes that it is unclear whether the new case will be for only the iPad 3 or if it will also be compatible with the iPad 2.

incase_magazine_jacket.jpg

Incase's Magazine Jacket for original iPad

The source's second claim relates to the iPhone 5, which is rumored for release later this year. According to the report, Apple is planning to once again use a glass or ceramic material for the rear of the device, countering rumors of a switch back to a metal rear casing. By incorporating thinner Gorilla Glass from Corning, Apple will reportedly be able to make the iPhone even thinner.
Despite the well-established "aluminum-backed iPhone 5" rumors that have continued to circulate since the iPhone 4 was released, Apple is nonetheless continuing to experiment with glass and ceramic rear shells for a future iPhone model. The upshot is that the new design would be like the iPhone 4, but thinner, thanks to Corning's stronger Gorilla Glass 2 and the further reduction of internal components.
The source also indicates that a larger display remains a possibility, while the company is indeed also looking to replace its 30-pin dock connector with a smaller connector.

iLounge has on occasion offered accurate information, and in particular the site's claims for the iPad 3 do appear to be bearing out as parts continue to surface ahead of the official unveiling.

Article Link: Enhanced Smart Cover with Rear Protection for iPad 3? Glass-Backed iPhone 5 in the Works?

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Why a back hardshell case? It doesn't make sense. Not only is the backing aluminum but the sheer size of the device would surely cause so much momentum that it wouldn't matter....

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
"The source also indicates that a larger display remains a possibility"

A possibility? Oh dear. :(

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Good. Thats what I hated about the smart cover. I want FULL protection, not just screen protection.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Kinda like the HP TouchPad case in a way.

Either way, the back needed some sort of protection...this should work.

Now the price.....

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
My contract renewal is coming up... Around June... With an iPhone "5" launch rumored for October, that just makes the choice more difficult... :cool:

Yep - most likely the iPhone 6/LTE/whatever will be a fall release... I think this will be the new release pattern for the iPhone.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Hope so. The current smart cover is worthless. The back is more apt to scratch than the glass and it offered minimal protection in a fall.

At least it did however offer wobbly stand functionality.

thuchu1

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
Auburn Hills, MI
I'm interested in seeing if this is true

With the smart cover Apple placed a tremendous amount of effort into keeping the look clean and minimal. Although they did it with the first, horrendous iPad case, it would be surprising to me if they went back to covering up the whole design they worked so hard to perfect. It seems like the first case covered the entire device out of necessity, with the magnets in the iPad 2+, it's not necessary to grab the whole device to hold it up.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
"The source also indicates that a larger display remains a possibility"

A possibility? Oh dear. :(

Don't worry, the way these rumors work their will also be counter-rumour that claims a larger screen is not possible.

A glass backplate is possible, but so is a metal backplate ;)

LTE is possible, but it may not be.

My favorite rumors are the ones that claim that a complete redesign is also likely to happen, and when we get an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4S (or soon to be iPad 3) their was a last minute design issue. Yup, 2-3 years of planning ahead are put aside for another year because of a last minute design issue.

luke.mac1

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I'd love a slightly larger screen. It would definitely make reading, surfing and watching tv shows easier... as long as it fits in my pocket that is :D

vito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Manchester, UK
Macrumors is talking like an iPad 3 exists. In all reality, there is no such thing as an iPad 3 seeing as Apple has not announced anything.

Think we're all pretty confident they'll be refreshing the iPad on Wednesday, as to what it's going to be called, that's not important right now.

It is a rumor site though! :D

langers2010

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
What if this new case's backing material is also an iPhone 5 option?

The article states that this new case will have a rear shell "made from fiberglass covered with PU/bicast leather".

What if this new ceramic/glass/non-metallic iPhone 5 rear case that they are also talking about was made of the same material and this iPad 3 case was a way of maturing the technology?

- just a thought.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Glass backed iPhone 5? Ooohhhh I can already here the millions screaming NNOOOOOO

I have never had a problem on my iPhone 4 but then again I have managed to not drop it more then 4 times and onto carpet, once onto the kitchen floor but it survived fine, thank God!! Still I was looking forward to a liquid metal back. But if they use Gorilla glass for the back as well as the front it may not be as bad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.