PDA

View Full Version : a Question about OS X 10.8

BlindSoul
Mar 5, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hello,

I currently got an iMac with OS X 10.7.3 and today I received a new Macbook Pro, now it doesn't run any games or anything heavy because I just use these on the iMac, I was wondering if you suggest me to install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Preview 1 on it, I really can't wait anymore for the Reminders and Notification Center... I am like in a real need of them.
I was wondering if you suggest me doing that? ( cause it's just not that bad... such as crashing much and etc... )

and if it's possible to install an Upgrade and not a clean installation
( formatting my current OS X and to install Mountain Lion )?

Thank you!

Peace
Mar 5, 2012, 11:32 AM
Go to developer.apple.com

Sign in.

Read.

BlindSoul
Mar 5, 2012, 11:35 AM
I don't have a developer account, seriously i was just asking a simple question...

macmongral
Mar 5, 2012, 11:38 AM
if you need to ask then do not do it

BlindSoul
Mar 5, 2012, 11:41 AM
if you need to ask then do not do it

Huh?
Seriously wtf is wrong with the people here?

Sdreed91
Mar 5, 2012, 11:50 AM
If u download ML on your MBP it will simply upgrade not act as a clean install. And unless you have a developer account you can't get ML or at least you can't get it the right way.

winterny
Mar 5, 2012, 11:58 AM
It's a bad idea. Beta software always has bugs. While this "may" be more stable than some other OS Betas from Apple, it's certainly still not 100% stable. You will likely experience some crashes, and perhaps even some data loss.

If you really want to do it, I highly suggest you make frequent backups.

BlindSoul
Mar 5, 2012, 12:18 PM
Okay , Thanks for the replies.
I think I will wait for a few more updates from Apple before I do that.

Thank you!

Meetster
Mar 5, 2012, 12:30 PM
Just dont do it. It sucks!

Blipp
Mar 5, 2012, 12:45 PM
Huh?
Seriously wtf is wrong with the people here?

No one wants to help you run pirated beta software. You'll be back here in a week demanding help because some of your apps broke and badmouthing Apple or the app devs for their shoddy support. Fast forward a few more days and you'll urgently be asking how to downgrade back to Lion because your productivity is suffering. You'll probably use the ":mad:" face a couple times to express your displeasure in Apple for releasing such a mess of an OS and drop the fact that maybe you'll be giving Windows 8 another look after all.

Don't put unreleased beta software on your machine unless you're a licensed developer who knows what you're doing. Even then you put it on a secondary test machine, partition, or possibly a VM, never as your primary OS. Further more no one here owes you an answer for anything let alone an answer on how to do things you shouldn't be doing. Google a notifications app (c'mon, who hasn't heard of Growl at this point?) and wait for Mountain Lion's public release.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Mar 5, 2012, 01:57 PM
And if you can wait for notifications and iMessage, then install Growl and use your cell phone..