Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Israel
Hello,

I currently got an iMac with OS X 10.7.3 and today I received a new Macbook Pro, now it doesn't run any games or anything heavy because I just use these on the iMac, I was wondering if you suggest me to install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Preview 1 on it, I really can't wait anymore for the Reminders and Notification Center... I am like in a real need of them.
I was wondering if you suggest me doing that? ( cause it's just not that bad... such as crashing much and etc... )

and if it's possible to install an Upgrade and not a clean installation
( formatting my current OS X and to install Mountain Lion )?

Thank you!

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
If u download ML on your MBP it will simply upgrade not act as a clean install. And unless you have a developer account you can't get ML or at least you can't get it the right way.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
It's a bad idea. Beta software always has bugs. While this "may" be more stable than some other OS Betas from Apple, it's certainly still not 100% stable. You will likely experience some crashes, and perhaps even some data loss.

If you really want to do it, I highly suggest you make frequent backups.

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Israel
Okay , Thanks for the replies.
I think I will wait for a few more updates from Apple before I do that.

Thank you!

Blipp

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Huh?
Seriously wtf is wrong with the people here?

No one wants to help you run pirated beta software. You'll be back here in a week demanding help because some of your apps broke and badmouthing Apple or the app devs for their shoddy support. Fast forward a few more days and you'll urgently be asking how to downgrade back to Lion because your productivity is suffering. You'll probably use the ":mad:" face a couple times to express your displeasure in Apple for releasing such a mess of an OS and drop the fact that maybe you'll be giving Windows 8 another look after all.

Don't put unreleased beta software on your machine unless you're a licensed developer who knows what you're doing. Even then you put it on a secondary test machine, partition, or possibly a VM, never as your primary OS. Further more no one here owes you an answer for anything let alone an answer on how to do things you shouldn't be doing. Google a notifications app (c'mon, who hasn't heard of Growl at this point?) and wait for Mountain Lion's public release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.