Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unbelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Hey all,

I am a total beginner at programming/developing but hoping somebody can help. Can you make an app that has sound files and which can contain say somewhere between 3000-5000 words of text? I have only seen the games and lower duty ones with simple graphics so I'd be really grateful if anyone has seen something like this or knows whether it is doable!

Last edited by a moderator:

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
Yes, but your question is a bit vague. I might suggest you ask a more detailed question in the programming forum.

unbelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
yikes, i was afraid that would be the case. Basically I'm wondering about a small e-book with audio combined, packaged into an app. the text would be like this and wouldn't be need for graphics, well just a minimum

unbelly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
Can you download ibooks to iphones?

edit: okay forget I asked that- just saw that you can. Definitely going to look into that avenue.

as an app though would it have any potential do you think?

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
as an app though would it have any potential do you think?

As an app, it's a book. So it has exactly the same potential as an app that it has as a book, and vice versa.

The only way there'd be a difference is if there's something one can't do in a book that one could do in an app, such as tricky animation, or who knows what. Then it might be nicer as an app. Unless the tricky animation is lame, in which case you might have done better to just offer it as a book and not try to get tricky.

Also, it's possible that Apple would be more likely to reject an app that's just a book, because, you know, it's just a book, and they might tell you "Try resubmitting it as a book.".

Since you didn't say anything about the actual content, there's no way anyone can tell you anything about its potential as a book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.