Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beach Guy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Does anyone have any experience using the pre keyed video effects from Action Essentials 2 in FCP X? I've used some pre keyed video before, and it is very easy to use. If I could just put these clips in my timeline that would be great for my school projects. Thanks for any info...

Beach Guy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Not really sure what "alpha-channels" are...lol

Thanks for responding!

wildgiles

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2011
Yes you can use FCP X with action essentials, you have to change the compositing settings though and if you import into an event the file structure of AE 2 is not organized very well.

Motion 5 works way better, file structure is intact and all you have to do is drag and drop for it to work.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I'd highly recommend that you stay away from that unless absolutely necessary. Each piece of software has it's place. For actual cutting, FCPX. For motion graphics... motion. For visual effects, after effects. I know some would argue that AE is better the Motion, but I believe that each has it's place even though some say AE can do motion graphics better than Motion. I'm not here to argue that, I say just know you software and which can do the job most efficient, use it.

Which brings me back to my main point. For most of us who are experienced, Action Essentials is a breeze to work w/ in AE, but in FCPX or Motion, I'd have to say your on our own unless some more ppl pipe up. There is a reason Mr. Kramer does all of his stuff in AE. It's what he knows, it what he works with, and it's mainly what VC stuff is intended to work with.

So yes, I'm sure it's possible, but it doesn't mean that you should. But then again, you may not have AE or money for it (you said school project). So I'd just test things out and alter settings to get what "works" for you. But as mentioned, if you only have the 2 programs FCPX & Motion, use motion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.