Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rollsman44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I now have a Power Mac G5 and do some photo retouching for portraits. I cant buy any Portrait retouch up software because they run off Intel and Not G5 Tiger. I want to be able to do some retouching but not sure if I should just pay to have them sent out or Invest in buying another Mac with Intel. I am not even sure which Mac to get that would not break the bank. I appreciate any help or suggestions. I am NEW to this forum. Thank you

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
A basic Intel core duo Macbook from 2006 would only run $200-300 most likely. Just to give you an idea of what a starting point would be. Also, 2006 Intel Mac Minis aren't too shabby either, if all you're doing is photo retouching. Same price range really.

Macman756

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I second this. An intel based Mac mini is fairly cheap. That will handle any photo work needed and would only cost a little out of pocket after selling the G5. One side note, sell me the G5!!

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
Those prices may be true where you're at. It depends where he lives. Here in Michigan it's hard to find someone selling a G5 for 2 to 300. Early intel macbooks are still about 350 to 4, and the used mac mini market is basically nonexistent. However, minis start at 600 and would blow away your G5. Plus they're more future proof with the way apple has been shortening the supported hardware list these last few years.

rollsman44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I do use it for my email and other programs, word etc. Is the mini still ok with the other things I do? I am not sure if I will have a problem transferring all my doc and photos and programs over to a mini . Please let me know how I can do this or who will do it for me. Thanks so much, rollsman

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
I do use it for my email and other programs, word etc. Is the mini still ok with the other things I do? I am not sure if I will have a problem transferring all my doc and photos and programs over to a mini . Please let me know how I can do this or who will do it for me. Thanks so much, rollsman

Welcome to the forums, you will find lots of friendly, helpful members here and can learn alot if you take time to look around a bit at the various threads :) I have, and continue to, even though I've been here for over 10 years..........

For these uses the mini would be just fine, same for transferring over your documents & photos.....

However, to transfer over the programs themselves, they would have to be run under Rosetta on an older mini that runs OS 10.5 or 10.6. Unless of course you want to buy all new intel-native versions for the mini......

If you are going to make this move, make a back up of everything on the G5, so that you have copies of the files & apps. Time machine backup and/or the OS X Migration assistant would also be useful for this purpose.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'll be contradictory..Keep the G5 and upgrade people can talk about power all they want but you do nothing that requires massive computing power, your just a dude on a computer you comfortable with..just upgrade and and go a little longer, when the bug bites for a new computer get it then.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I now have a Power Mac G5 and do some photo retouching for portraits. I cant buy any Portrait retouch up software because they run off Intel and Not G5 Tiger. I want to be able to do some retouching but not sure if I should just pay to have them sent out or Invest in buying another Mac with Intel. I am not even sure which Mac to get that would not break the bank. I appreciate any help or suggestions. I am NEW to this forum. Thank you

Last edited:

rollsman44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Thank you all. I currently run PS3 and LR 2. I use mainly LR. I want to get a software where I can retouch my images and not have to send them out. Is it better to buy a used / refurb like a Mac mini and get the retouching sotware like Portrait prof or on One or Capture etc? I am reluctant to migrate all my files and apps from my G5 Tiger 10.4.11 to another computer. Any suggestions? Thanks rollsman

rollsman44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
My Mac is Power Mac G5 10.4.11 Dual 2 GHZ 3 GB DDR SDRAM
I would like to sell it and my Apple Cinema 22" Monitor Great Monitor. Thanks

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
You will get much much power with almost any Intel mac. Your choice depends of your budget. Switching from Powermac to Intel will probably implies to update many of your software. Regarding CS3 it's working fine on my MBP with Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.