Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neuropulse

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Greetings,

My MacBook battery is not charging and will not turn on if the battery is drained. For some bizarre reason, the battery has to hace a charge to turn on with the power addapter connected even though it is not using the battery. What could cause this?

The problem began when my previous magsafe cable burned through sparking a lot.

- MacBook works with power adapter or with battery until drained.

- Battery status in menu bar says "Not Charging".

- Light on magsafe plug is light green.

- Power adapter is new.

- Battery is new.

- Magsafe board is new.

- I reset the SMC.

Can someone with knowledge of the logic board components tell me which could cause this?

Thanks

Last edited:

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Greetings,

My MacBook battery is not charging and will not turn on if the battery is drained. For some bizarre reason, the battery has to hace a charge to turn on with the power addapter connected even though it is not using the battery. What could cause this?

- Power adapter is new.

- Battery is new.

- Magsafe board is new.

- I reset the SMC.

Can someone with knowledge of the logic board components tell me which could cause this?

Thanks

What model Macbook do you have?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

- Power adapter is new.

- Battery is new.

- Magsafe board is new.

- I reset the SMC.

How long do you leave it plugged in before trying to turn it on? If the battery is completely drained, it needs to charge for a while before you can turn on the Mac. Also, see the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn

There's a little chip on the bottom of the board. Square in nature, has a lowercase i on it. You can't miss it, it's the distinctive logo of an Intersil IC. Replace it.

The same chip is the culprit for the opposite issue: Macbook goes HAYWIRE when a battery is plugged into it, but works fine with no battery.

Let us know how you make out!!

bundermayer

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
There's a little chip on the bottom of the board. Square in nature, has a lowercase i on it. You can't miss it, it's the distinctive logo of an Intersil IC. Replace it.

The same chip is the culprit for the opposite issue: Macbook goes HAYWIRE when a battery is plugged into it, but works fine with no battery.

Let us know how you make out!!
do you need to program chip after replacing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.