Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

serendipidy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
HI
I have a 2.53 Ghz Intel core duo running on 10.6.8 Snow leopard.
If I buy a new mac mini does this come installed already with the OSX Lion, if it does not can I install my Snow leopard into it.
The reason I am asking this is I have Photoshop CS4 and a very good professional Epson scanner that are running happily on 10.6 . I know I could have some issues with Lion

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Yes, all new Macs come with Lion.

I am sure you can install SL on it, but I hear that you have to install it on another machine first then dupe it back to the Mac Mini because the last retail disc of Snow Leopard does not have the latest graphic card drivers.

You shouldn't have any issues with PS CS4, but not sure about the scanner. Did you check Epson's website regarding the scanner plugin?

Your best bet is just to buy it, install PSCS4 and the scanner plugin see if it works. If you have issues, then you need to look into downgrading to SL.

Chancers are if it works fine under SL, it should be ok under Lion as well. But don't quote me on that.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
If you're worried about printer issues I'd definitely put SL on it as soon as you get it, I'm doing the same thing when I get mine in the summer because there are a few PPC applications I can't live without.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you're worried about printer issues I'd definitely put SL on it as soon as you get it, I'm doing the same thing when I get mine in the summer because there are a few PPC applications I can't live without.
I don't know if you know, but a 2012 Mac mini, if you are waiting for that, will not be able to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, unlike a 2011 Mac mini, for which 10.6 still has drivers, but there are no 10.6 drivers for 2012 hardware.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
I don't know if you know, but a 2012 Mac mini, if you are waiting for that, will not be able to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, unlike a 2011 Mac mini, for which 10.6 still has drivers, but there are no 10.6 drivers for 2012 hardware.

I was referring to a 2011 machine, I'm well aware that this will most likely be the last generation with any kind of SL support whether they be unofficial or official.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I was referring to a 2011 machine, I'm well aware that this will most likely be the last generation with any kind of SL support whether they be unofficial or official.

I wasn't sure, thus my assumption, thus my comment, thus your reply, thus this reply. It happened before, and it will probably happen again. ;)

the read

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
HI
I have a 2.53 Ghz Intel core duo running on 10.6.8 Snow leopard.
If I buy a new mac mini does this come installed already with the OSX Lion, if it does not can I install my Snow leopard into it.
The reason I am asking this is I have Photoshop CS4 and a very good professional Epson scanner that are running happily on 10.6 . I know I could have some issues with Lion

Lion is far more unstable. It has a couple of little new features that are nice, but if you do go with the mini and keep lion installed, prepare for far more crashes than SL.

In my opinion lion was not ready for release and was rushed out. It's starting to feel more like bloated windows 7 with every release Apple update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.