Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hank_Reardon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
I'm not sure if this is the right place to make this post, as for some reason my intuition tells me this is a software problem rather than a hardware problem. Nonetheless, I would like to know if anyone is having similar problems. Over the past few weeks my trackpad on my iBook (14inch, 1.33G4, 512meg ram, Mac OS 10.4.1) has begun freezing at random intervals. It isn't an immediate lockup. I'll be computing away when suddenly my pointer refuses to move. I'll zip my finger around the trackpad a few times, which generally causes the pointer to hop around a bit and occasionally brings it back out of its trance. With increasing frequency, however, this does not help. Once the mouse has frozen if you put the computer to sleep and wake it back up the mouse seems to wake back up as well. Two more quick facts. First, the keyboard never freezes, only the trackpad. Second, when the trackpad freezes the mouse button does not work either. This thing is only about 8 months old, so I'm assuming it is still under some sort of warranty. If it actually is a hardware problem, have any of you guys had positive/negative experiences with Apple warranty repairs?

--Hank Reardon

Hank_Reardon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
One more question

One more quick question I forgot to ask. The painted letter on my E, S, D, C, N, M and L keys have all worn off (again, this thing is only 8 months old). How likely is it that I could get Apple to replace the keys/keyboard?

-Hank

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Hank_Reardon said:
One more quick question I forgot to ask. The painted letter on my E, S, D, C, N, M and L keys have all worn off (again, this thing is only 8 months old). How likely is it that I could get Apple to replace the keys/keyboard?

-Hank

Out of interest what do you do to your keyboard?

Hank_Reardon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
sandboard

I primarily use it for typing; however, I did refinish my computer desk with it. Believe it or not, iBooks make surprisingly good sandpaper.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Call Apple

You should call Apple and find out where your closest authorized service representative is, and take that sucker in.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Hank_Reardon said:
I primarily use it for typing; however, I did refinish my computer desk with it. Believe it or not, iBooks make surprisingly good sandpaper.

I can't help but sense some sarcasm here :rolleyes:

Yea as guy above said, take it into a store or retailer and get them to overhaul your little beauty.

enero@serpico50

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2005
I'm having a similar problem with my iBook (G4 800mhz). My track pad will snap around the screen like it was attached to a rubber band after using it for awhile. No matter what I do or how careful I move with the track pad, it eventually also starts doing this. This has never happened before I installed Tiger.

A mouse works fine and I have no problems with the keys. The only way I can get this to stop (most of the time), is to restart. But that doesnt always solve the problem.

You are the first person I have found with a similar problem. I have search for answers with no luck...

soupkitchen

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2005
Pismo Trackpad Freezing too

My powerbook is also doing the intermittent working then nothing thing too. And I was blaming the tech that installed some new ram!

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
I have had this problem on my g3 ibook since os10.1! It used to be a very infrequent problem and i thought nothing of it, even during my first year of purchase. But it happens now (under 10.3.8) nearly every day or every other day. I usually just stick my mouse in and it works fine, unless the pointer frooze on a scroll bar which makes it do this whacky thing of scrolling the page when i move the mouse even when not on the scroll bar!? That always requires a restart.
Sorry i can't offer any advice but this is the first thread i've seen this reported in, so i just thought i'd stick my nose in.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mark me down as another victim. I've had the problem since Panther (which was the original OS on my iBook) and I actually ended up getting the cover replaced because there was a bubble under the track pad. These track pads are meant to be dead flat so if it's not, you may be able to ask for a new top (which includes a keyboard, well it did for me).

In the meantime, I find that making sure my finger and the track pad are as dry as possible usually helps. As does giving the pad a quick tap or two. Oddly, I can usually move the curser with more luck at the edges of the compared with the middle. So when this problem starts, I usually dry my finger and start playing with the edges until it starts working again. Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a link to how hot the 'Book is getting. It's worse when I'm doing something intensive (usually hard drive based).

I also find that resetting the PRAM can help for a few weeks or so.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Apple should give you a new keyboard and then you should get an iSkin to cover/protect your keyboard and computer from spills onto the keyboard.

If they don't, I happen to have a brand new keyboard for the 14", in plastic. But they should get you a new one. Mine is 53 bucks shipped to lower 48.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Also is the "ignore accidental trackpad input" checked in keyboard/mouse prefs?
Try turning it off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.