Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

adobe_lightroom_4_box-150x201.jpg

Adobe today announced the immediate release of Photoshop Lightroom 4, bringing a number of new features and a lower price tag to the company's professional photo management and manipulation software.
Lightroom 4 introduces refined technology for superior shadow and highlight processing, ability to create photo books, additional local adjustment controls, and enhanced video support.

"Feedback from our customers is invaluable in developing Lightroom and the real trick to a great release is to combine these insights with Adobe's unrivalled image processing innovation," said Winston Hendrickson, vice president products, Creative Media Solutions, Adobe. "Lightroom 4 is a stunning new release that will enhance photography workflows and help photographs stand out from the crowd."
Photoshop Lightroom 4 was released as a public beta just under two months ago, and Adobe has made several additional improvements since that time.

With the release of Lightroom 4, Adobe has slashed the application's price in half to $149, presumably responding to Apple's price cut on Aperture that saw it drop to just $79 when it moved to the Mac App Store with that marketplace's debut in January 2011. Pricing for Student/Teacher and Upgrade editions of Lightroom 4 is set at $79, with the Upgrade edition valid for any previous version of Lightroom.

Article Link: Adobe Releases Photoshop Lightroom 4, Slashes Price in Half to $149

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
An Aperture app for the new iPad would be fantastic. PixelSync is good but limited, if Apple could do something similar with tethering to the iPad it would become really useful.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
I've always wondered why the education upgrade price is the same as the normal upgrade price...

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I've always wondered why the education upgrade price is the same as the normal upgrade price...

Because that's Adobe's "Kook Aid" indoctrination route: get the creative to buy into their tool while they're still in school, and then they'll be buying upgrades forever.

-hh

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Now everyone's photos can stand out from the crowd!

Wait...

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
I know this might be controversial and I'm not trying to stir up the ages old Aperture vs Lightroom debate, but I imagine there are other reasons for the price change other than Aperture, and I imagine the same price point will be applied on the Windows version where Aperture does not exist.

I have used both pieces of software (I now use iPhoto) and I have to say that while LR bugged me with some things it did, Aperture had far more significant problems. When I got Aperture it had added photo books support, and it was so buggy and slow that it was literally impossible to use without having it crash after long periods of beachballs. Updates came and did not address it, after a while I suppose it was fixed but I had certainly lost interest at that point. Sharing photos was/(still is?) pathetically complicated. The performance of the whole suite was ridiculously poor. The machine I used Aperture on (same as LR) was 2.4ghz MBP with 8GB of RAM and the photo library was large-ish but <50GB. None of this happened with any version or BETA of LR .. far from being an Adobe fan, I at least respect that they do reasonable verification of their software that they sell (for insane pricing)

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I will be jumping on this right away... been a user of Lightroom since the first beta and love it. I can safely say it has saved me hundreds of hours processing my images as a sports photographer. If you are a photography and don't see value in Lightroom, you probably don't know how to use it properly. If that's the case, I'd encourage you to check out some video tutorials because it really is a huge productivity tool for photography. I'm sure Aperture provides similar capabilities, but I've never used it and prefer to stay in Adobe for when I do need to bounce to Photoshop, which is extremely rare with Lightroom 3, and will be even more infrequent with LR 4.

Hardtimes

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
I have always flat out refused to pay adobe's prices.
Now if they price Photoshop and Illustrator at points that don't make me wet myself laughing they might get some of my money.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I have always flat out refused to pay adobe's prices.
Now if they price Photoshop and Illustrator at points that don't make me wet myself laughing they might get some of my money.

To be fair, Photoshop Elements is a great product for non-pro users & is priced very reasonably.

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Adobe knows Apple is getting market share and they should compete.

I went to Lightroom website and guess what? Now the videos play in h264 and not the crap Flash!

Tried to stay away from Adobe products (resource hog, installs crap everywhere, activation problems, meaningless "upgrades"...). IMHO, thanks to Apple they're improving. Lightroom has a more competitive price, installation is neat (easy) and Lightroom seems like a good product. I'm happy with Aperture but maybe I'll try Lightroom if enough positive reviews comparing to Aperture appears.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I don't think that the price change is due to anything from Apple. I think it has more to do with their upcoming strategy with CS6 which undoubtedly will be released this year. I'll be upgrading to LR4 when I get home from work. I've had Photoshop since version 1 but I may finally let photoshop go over time and just focus on Lightroom, Nik Tools, and onOne. Covers 98% of what I need.

Regardless, the price decrease is welcome and should bring in a lot of new people. Yet it's still funny to see people complain about a price DECREASE! lol

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

That is a smokin price point

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Because that's Adobe's "Kook Aid" indoctrination route: get the creative to buy into their tool while they're still in school, and then they'll be buying upgrades forever.

-hh

ok - I can "buy" that argument - but while the student is STILL in school, I think it makes sense to have a discounted upgrade price. just my two cents...

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Here in the UK the price with box is £103.00 or $162.00, sorry Adobe, I'm sticking with Aperture, you're propensity for ripping people off continues unabated.

LR3 was nearly £200 a few months ago. So not ripping off as much as it used to be. The price is actually nearer £80 when you exclude VAT.

bertman

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Laurel, Maryland
Writing as an Aperture 1.0 devotee to now, an open letter to Apple:

Do you or do you not want to transform Photography? (Was this one of the 4 areas Steve noted?) I see what you've done with music, communication, and soon TV/video. But I'm not feeling that the push is there to innovate in photography. Everything seems reactive and second-thought now. At the photo trade shows and conferences, Lightroom is *assumed* to be the tool you are using. (There are only the occasional Aperture speakers; Apple is a no-show.)

If you've got $100B in the bank, why not commit $1B to the development of image processing upgrades and services. Keep the AP development team large and healthy, not at the expense of other divisions but hire and develop specialized talent. Deploy the multi-user server-hosted Aperture library with the remote (iDevice/Mac) editor capability. Make it faster, more sleek. Get camera updates pushed out first, and keep the RAW engine overhauled regularly. Bottom line: Make it utterly seamless to store, edit, and use our images (and videos) across our devices with a central library. Take the professional's needs (all of them) utterly seriously, not just provide templates for press books.

Do you not notice there constant buzz in the Adobe community and deafening silence among the dwindling Aperture users? I prefer to keep using Aperture, but 3rd party tools are increasingly geared to LR/PS integration for professional work, which puts me at a competitive disadvantage. Is this not utterly unacceptable to the company that produced the first full Photo Management & Processing product?

Feel free to contact me via my site. Thank you,

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I don't really know anything about photo software, so go easy on me...

So what's the difference between Elements and Lightroom? Similar pricing, both seem to be aimed at a similar user...what's the real difference, which is a better choice for a basic consumer user, and why do they have the two different apps instead of just making them one?

And for higher end users, would they still have use for this or is this functionality included in the full Photoshop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.