Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
System Preferences > Users & Groups > Guest User and then uncheck "Allow guests to log in to this computer"?

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
For some reason it's already unchecked but the guest account still shows up, something wacky going on with my system?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I'll point out that there's a really good use for leaving the Guest account enabled, primarily on a portable

If a thief gets a hold of the machine it allows them to use it, possibly allowing you enough opportunity to get it back via "Find My Mac". Alternative if they have a bit of smarts is that they just nuke it because they can't get into it any other way. Lets face it, most thieves are lazy, so enabling their demise is essentially chlorine in the gene pool :).

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I'll point out that there's a really good use for leaving the Guest account enabled, primarily on a portable

If a thief gets a hold of the machine it allows them to use it, possibly allowing you enough opportunity to get it back via "Find My Mac".

The article I linked to warns of this.

desanthc

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
For some reason it's already unchecked but the guest account still shows up, something wacky going on with my system?

Use the below command on "terminal"( search in ur spotlight )

'sudo fdesetup remove -user Guest" and type enter.

It will ask for admins password, enter it and there u go.

All the Guest user login will be removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.