Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
For my graphic design class (I'm a freshman in High School), we had to make a movie poster based off a list of different Shakespeare titles. I chose Titus Andronicus to work with. The image has 3 distinct parts. The first part is far in the background, which is the giant bronze door of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. Despite being a church, it gave me this council feel, like important city meetings would occur there; an Official [political] house so to call it. Titus Andronicus's main characters are of political importance (or have some form of relations to people of political importance). The second part is the Roman general. Titus was a Roman general coming back from his conquest over the Goths. The final part is the bloodstains. The bloodstains symbolize the revenge in the play, as well TA being Shakespeare's most bloodiest play written. Please, tell me what you think! Please be critical, don't be afraid to tell me what's wrong! :D

(Click it to see it in it's fullest resolution!)

WideView.jpg

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm glad you explained this because I felt it was really hard to figure out despite having read the play but more so because the door didn't quite come through to me.

I think that's my criticism, the door is almost too hard to see so it's more of a distraction.

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
Plausible

Not a bad effort. Agree with previous poster that the door isn't really visible.
You might want to think about moving the title to the top where you have plenty of black space. Currently it's fighting against the busy image behind it at the bottom. At the top the title will also have more power as it will become the most important part of the composition.

YESimBLUNTED

macrumors member
I agree with the above posts as well.

First, the title of the play/movie is fighting with the background and should be placed at the top with the area providing the most contrast. The title is the most important thing and you always want people to be able to see that if anything at all.

The door is very distracting, and it is probably your blend modes but it is very difficult to make that out as a door. That being said, although it works for some designs, the hard edges of the "door" covering your statue is taking away the depth of the poster... and it just irritates me (personal preference).

The glow around the statue could probably be toned down a bit as well. If your using it for extra contrast to bring out the statue I get it, I think it could be lessened a bit. And the door overlay pushes the statue back into the background and is combating the effect you may be trying to get with the glow.

The font you chose I think works well for the content/feel of the poster.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I am not a designer (listen to the people on this thread who are first), but if you are still reading here's what I'd do:

[1] Push the Roman general up
[2] Make the Actors names slightly smaller, so they are positioned on either side of the general's head
[3] Have a black to transparent gradient at the bottom of the poster, so there is a bit more contrast for the credits (and the title itself).

To my eye though it's looking very nice already though.

Last edited:

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
You've got some skills ... so I won't be easy on you.

You're trying to do too much with the image, and it isn't reading as clearly as I think it should. And the crop on the main image seems flaccid. Cropping it more tightly would be more dynamic.

The title at the bottom isn't strong enough. Why not put it at the top where it won't compete so much with the image?

Drop-shadows: if I can see they're there, then they aren't done right. A drop shadow should do it's job without drawing too much attention.

But again ... you got skills. You just need to refine them.

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I just wanted to say thanks for all the critiques on my poster! Thanks to all! :D I'll have everyone's comments kept in mind for future projects.

x Nadzy x

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
It's OK, however, I'd install a font preferably Calligarophy, and focus the light only on the statue.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
You seem to have various constraints so I'll try to stay within your constraints (as in aspect ratios etc.)

Font choice is nice but if you wish to keep them in that location then the title needs to be a bit larger with tighter spacing/kerning and increase the drop shadow intensity slightly to match.

The "credits" at the bottom seem backwards in terms of colour/boldness. The names should be the "brighter bolder" part and the title with the names should be dimmer if you want to do this type of contrasting. Also, the credits title/name are both too dim.

Others pointed out that the upper part of the image is a lot of dark space. You may wish to consider a tease/tag line insertion.

Btw, I think your work is excellent even with some minor adjustments and staying with your layout.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
To be honest, the text is quite unreadable ...

Also, the image look like someone opened up a Photoshop like application for the first time and tryed to play with two layers and the blending options.

Look at a movie poster, similar to your theme:

coriolanus-film.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.