Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
So I just bought a MacBook Air on Sunday and I was happy with it until I went to download a wallpaper that I had on my MBP. It is supposed to be bright red and orange (I posted it a couple of weeks ago on a Post your Desktop thread), but my MBA is displaying it as more of a maroon and orange. Is there something wrong with my display? :(

It is an LG model display and I have already tried a new color profile and calibrating it with no help. :(

Do I need to return it?

Last edited:

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I think the general consensus is that the Air screens are less vibrant than the MBP screens. I was able to get mine where I wanted it with SuperCal, but lots of people seem to have that complaint when they come from the Pros.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
I think the general consensus is that the Air screens are less vibrant than the MBP screens. I was able to get mine where I wanted it with SuperCal, but lots of people seem to have that complaint when they come from the Pros.

I knew it wouldn't be as good, but it still makes me sad it can't even display red right. :(

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Actually that sounds like a fault, but you should find a bunch of different red wallpapers and try them all to make sure, and obviously compare different red websites between the two machines.

bookwrath

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
I had the same problem on my MBA with an LG display. I exchanged it and again got an LG but it seems a little better... still no where near as good as a MBP or iMac. Both of these were from the same retailer so I decided to check one out at Best Buy and noticed the same issue. I can't vouch for the Samsung display but it seems like the LG screens are horrible at displaying red colors. I have an old Dell XPS laptop at working for legacy testing and did a side by side comparison with my Air... unfortunately the Dell was significantly better :(

I decided that the added portability was a fair trade-off for the display quality. I have iMacs at work and home for doing heavy graphical work so it's not a huge deal that my portable machine is a little weak in this area.

Jb07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Dallas
Thanks for all this information. I took a picture of a red shirt I had, sent it to my computer, and then compared it to the shirt. It was way off. :(
Luckily, I found a really good color profile in one of these forums and it definitely made a big difference. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.