Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phobox

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2007
I run a Linux guest virtual machine using Vmware Fusion on the mac. Ive noticed that when the VM network is set to bridged mode in vmware, the network connection for the VM will intermittently drop completely, requiring a restart of the VM to get it back. I battled with this issue for quite some time, not being able to figure out what was going wrong. Until today! Ive traced the issue back to Spotify. The virtual machines network connection only drops when Spotify is running on the host (not the guest as you may think). If I dont run Spotify at all, networking is fine. Whats strange is that this problem only affects virtual machines, nothing else on the host is affected at all. And whats weirder is it affects both vmware and virtualbox, which suggests that the Spotify client is doing something funky with the network on OSX. Does anybody have any ideas as to what may be causing this within Spotify or how to fix it? Does anyone else run Spotify on their mac and regularly use virtual machine software as well? Remember the issue only seems to affect bridged network mode on vmware or virtualbox, NAT mode works fine.

Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.