Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I'll be in the market to get a new Apple TV, purely for using Netflix. I've been researching the quality of Netflix on the Apple TV in comparison to the PS3. Topics from 2010 on the Apple Forums show that the quality is pretty poor, likely caused by a small buffer instead of a larger one (people saying it drops from HD to SD, even on a perfectly capable internet speed).

Has anything improved since then? What about 5.1 sound, has Netflix given the Apple TV 5.1 sound yet? I know they were trialling it with the PS3 last year.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I've never had one quality issue with Netflix on my ATV. Perhaps thise with poor picture just have utterly crap broadband/internet in their home. I never have issues with any online video, because i have great broadband at home!

If you have a good ISP, and speeds you'll be fine. Might I suggest mount the ATV on the back of your TV with some velcro, keep it hidden and enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.