Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
i got a eMac as some of you know from my other posts i have also listed its specs so here is my question.

i installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my eMac but the screen is off center since screen adjustments are in OS X itself how do i adjust the screen positioning in Ubuntu?

Also my eMac seems to be running a bit hot is it possible to upgrade its fan? what size fan is the stock fan?

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
MintPPC

...will run much smoother on your eMac than bloatbuntu. The forums are very useful for sorting out issues like the ones you have, numerous xorg config files already available. Software available is good to excellent. Developer keeps ported and updated minitube and Iceweasel in repositories.

http://www.mintppc.org

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
...will run much smoother on your eMac than bloatbuntu. The forums are very useful for sorting out issues like the ones you have, numerous xorg config files already available. Software available is good to excellent. Developer keeps ported and updated minitube and Iceweasel in repositories.

http://www.mintppc.org

i use LinuxMint on my linux box its the same thing as ubuntu i was wondering is there a OpenSuse or Fedora for ppc?

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
i got a eMac as some of you know from my other posts i have also listed its specs so here is my question.

i installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my eMac but the screen is off center since screen adjustments are in OS X itself how do i adjust the screen positioning in Ubuntu?

Also my eMac seems to be running a bit hot is it possible to upgrade its fan? what size fan is the stock fan?

Don't you have control panel for your graphic card?Maybe your only bet is editing the xorg.conf (it is still this file?)
The fans are upgradable, there was a user that switch them I guess...or maybe it was a imac g3 :s can't remember..

i use LinuxMint on my linux box its the same thing as ubuntu i was wondering is there a OpenSuse or Fedora for ppc?

LinuxMint was based on ubuntu, don't know about now...

Newer Fedora releases are only for 64bit PPCs

I guess the best bet is debian:
http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Don't you have control panel for your graphic card?Maybe your only bet is editing the xorg.conf (it is still this file?)
The fans are upgradable, there was a user that switch them I guess...or maybe it was a imac g3 :s can't remember..

LinuxMint was based on ubuntu, don't know about now...

Newer Fedora releases are only for 64bit PPCs

I guess the best bet is debian:
http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

i have never had luck with debian systems debian based yes but never debian itself.
The eMac rev C uses the ATI Radeon 9200 GPU however Ubuntu only has drivers for i686 and 64bit versions and only the HD series cards have drivers the X series and under have no Linux drivers so using ATI Control Center isnt an option.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
i have never had luck with debian systems debian based yes but never debian itself.
The eMac rev C uses the ATI Radeon 9200 GPU however Ubuntu only has drivers for i686 and 64bit versions and only the HD series cards have drivers the X series and under have no Linux drivers so using ATI Control Center isnt an option.

I have a X1950Pro in my father's pc, and using ubuntu 8.04 I had ATI Control Center I guess, but since apple never realized drivers for Mac Card I guess you are out of luck, once again your best bet is trying to edit some parameters in the xorg.conf file, but I don't know what parameters.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I have a X1950Pro in my father's pc, and using ubuntu 8.04 I had ATI Control Center I guess, but since apple never realized drivers for Mac Card I guess you are out of luck, once again your best bet is trying to edit some parameters in the xorg.conf file, but I don't know what parameters.

i am pretty good at Linux i am better with Linux than i am with Mac but i dont go messing around with any configuration files. One thing i have learned is that is is easy to crash the whole system where it wont boot at all.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
i am pretty good at Linux i am better with Linux than i am with Mac but i dont go messing around with any configuration files. One thing i have learned is that is is easy to crash the whole system where it wont boot at all.
But you might have to edit them... Just make a backup and it the system fails to boot, just load the live CD and copy back your backup.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
i will probably get a 32GB 2.5in SATA Solid State Drive for my eMac id use a SATA to IDE adaptor to connect it but i have 3 questions:

1. If i got a 2.5" to 3.5" Mounting bracket would there still be room left on the HDD caddy to install the SATA to IDE conveter?
2. I will use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my HDD image of 15GB CCC makes images as sparse images. Can the Mac OS X Disc Utility read Sparse images so a can just use Disk Utility to restore the HDD image?
3. How much faster with the system be with a Solid State Drive?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You should save yourself the hassle of some compatability issues and just get a PATA SSD for your eMac. Some SATA to PATA adapters don't play well with SSDs and Mac OS X.

As per you heat question, eMacs have very good cooling. Almost too much cooling. The fan in it is very capable and is able to move out lots of hot air. It's this high heat headroom that makes eMacs great for overclocking.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
As far as fans go, not sure about what size comes in an emac, but I do know, tiger direct has fans of pretty much every single shape, size and speed. I forget the name exactly, but they used to sell, and might still sell these I think they might be called vortex fans, they came between 40mm-120mm and they ran at a solid 5000rpm all the time, super loud, but could move a TON of air. I used to use them in mini atx systems I built.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
You should save yourself the hassle of some compatability issues and just get a PATA SSD for your eMac. Some SATA to PATA adapters don't play well with SSDs and Mac OS X.
PATA SSDs are WAY too expencive would a CF Card with a CF to IDE adaptor be better?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A CompactFlash card is not designed to be used as a hard drive for an operating system. They will wear out and die without warning if used in such a way due to their limited number of write cycles. Even then, they would be slower than the eMac's OEM drive.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
A CompactFlash card is not designed to be used as a hard drive for an operating system. They will wear out and die without warning if used in such a way due to their limited number of write cycles. Even then, they would be slower than the eMac's OEM drive.

Have you tried one?
I had a 233X Samsung 8Gb card and the thing was very fast on ubuntu (it was used on a pc).
Their read/write speed was on pair with a normal hdd, with the bennefit of much lower acess times.

LeoTheLion89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012

So which is it? a 300X or 400x CF card or a SATA laptop SSD on a SATA-IDE adaptor?

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
at 32GB for 30s pretty cheap and is cheaper than a 40GB HDD i dont have much on this mac dont need a hard drive as big as it has
Leo, please do us all a favor and lose the "Red" text, it is much like bold text, really hard on the eyes which is probably why the World has standardized on plain black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.