PDA

View Full Version : Apple Launching iTunes 10.6 and iOS 5.1 Today, with Japanese Support for Siri Coming Soon

MacRumors
Mar 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/apple-launching-ios-5-1-today-with-japanese-support-for-siri-coming-soon/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/03/ios5logo-150x148.jpg

As part of Tim Cook's early statements at today's media event, he announced that iOS 5.1 will be available today. One important addition in the updated operating system is Japanese support for Siri on the iPhone 4S. That support will be rolling out over the next few weeks. iOS 5.1 includes the much-requested ability to delete photos (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/12/apple-seeds-ios-5-1-beta-2-to-developers-enables-photo-stream-photo-deletion/) from the Photo Stream, inside the redesigned Camera app.

Apple says iOS 5.1 and iTunes 10.6 will be available today as free software updates. The new version of iTunes is not yet available for download (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/) on Apple's website, and we are waiting for iOS 5.1 to go live.

Article Link: Apple Launching iTunes 10.6 and iOS 5.1 Today, with Japanese Support for Siri Coming Soon (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/07/apple-launching-ios-5-1-today-with-japanese-support-for-siri-coming-soon/)

RoelJuun
Mar 7, 2012, 12:42 PM
Please fix the battery issues for the 4S users. Oh, and better performance in the music app when using iTunes Match.

davidwarren
Mar 7, 2012, 01:14 PM
they haven't discussed 5.1 features yet. I'm hoping for some new stuff.

TonyC28
Mar 7, 2012, 01:25 PM
I followed on Engadget. Other than Japanese Siri, did they get into iOS 5.1 at all?

aircanman
Mar 7, 2012, 01:32 PM
When they say released today, what sort of time are we looking at?

retry4
Mar 7, 2012, 01:33 PM
I followed on Engadget. Other than Japanese Siri, did they get into iOS 5.1 at all?

I think that's all :-(

AppleMad98004
Mar 7, 2012, 01:35 PM
I think that's all :-(

Yup except for support for the new iPad and Siri Japan there is nothing more in iOS 5.1 for current users.

milo
Mar 7, 2012, 01:35 PM
For the love of all that is holy, PLEASE tell me they finally fixed the music app on iPad. So much broken and missing functionality (not even getting into bad design decisions) and no improvements for months. Let's hope a new hardware device was incentive for them to fix that app.

Diode
Mar 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
Please fix the battery issues for the 4S users. Oh, and better performance in the music app when using iTunes Match.

I second the iTunes match part.

richard4339
Mar 7, 2012, 01:51 PM
I don't think 10.6 is actually out. If you go to the iTunes page, it says 10.6. If you click on the link, its 10.5.3.

Edit: yep.

Kaibelf
Mar 7, 2012, 01:52 PM
Fixing the fact that safari crashes incessantly on the original ipad (even on macrumors) is a must also.

Dagless
Mar 7, 2012, 01:57 PM
I hope iTunes 10.6 fixes the horrible smart playlist bug. I have to keep remaking them and copying the whole list into a regular playlist every time I rate a song. "Live updating" my bottom!

kerryn
Mar 7, 2012, 01:57 PM
I hope that 5.1 fixes the disaster that is iTunes Match in the music app.

I would like to use match on my iPhone but can't because it won't respect the playlist limits, sort orders and constantly crashes.

If I switch Match off and just sync normally then it works fine (but still not quite as good as pre iOS5).

So iOS5.1, what have you got?

DJHonda84
Mar 7, 2012, 02:05 PM
Fixing the fact that safari crashes incessantly on the original ipad (even on macrumors) is a must also.

This better get fixed. It's become embarrassing to use my iPad 1 because of this issue. Partly because of the issue itself, but mostly because of my visible displays of frustration! :o

al256
Mar 7, 2012, 02:07 PM
With that nice, big data center Apple has we shouldn't have to wait to download 5.1 or the new iTunes.

woj027
Mar 7, 2012, 02:07 PM
I just started my 5.1 download.

WeegieMac
Mar 7, 2012, 02:08 PM
If you click on Check For Update or Restore in iTunes, it now says the server cannot be reached. They must be ready to roll out 5.1 soon.

ftaok
Mar 7, 2012, 02:09 PM
Anyone have any guesses (wild-ass or educated guesses are welcomed) as to whether iTunes 10.6 will run on WinXP and OS X 10.6 machines?

parish
Mar 7, 2012, 02:09 PM
Installing as I type this.

Release notes say battery life issues fixed, and Genius Mixes and Genius Playlists available for iTunes Match.

No mention of fixing the crippling Invalid SIM bug though :(

nickn
Mar 7, 2012, 02:10 PM
This better get fixed. It's become embarrassing to use my iPad 1 because of this issue. Partly because of the issue itself, but mostly because of my visible displays of frustration! :o
If you look at the diagnostic logs, the crashes are always attributed to a lack of RAM. it may never get fixed. Even if it does, in the mean time, I would recommend using the Atomic Web Browser. It very rarely crashes for me, and has far more features then even the desktop version of safari. The frustrating issue of all of the tabs frequently reloading in safari is also not a problem with Atomic Web.

Aldonin
I really hope they also fix the DISASTER taking place between iPhone 4S iOS 5.0.1 and AirPlay causing speakers to malfunction and needing to fully reset them.

TheKnowledgeGuy
Hmm, I think these features will be available in 5.1, even on iPod touch and iPhone devices, judging from ~the new iPad~'s features.

Dictation (speech-to-text anywhere)
New Default Wallpaper
[ Handwritten input for Chinese] was this already a feature?
iPhoto app for non-iPad devices (maybe)
Resolutionary

Danbrown521
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

5.1 updating now

ghostface147
Mar 7, 2012, 02:11 PM
I just started my 5.1 download.

Really? I click check for updates and it tells me the iPhone update server cannot be found. I click restore, resource not available. How are you getting it?

dtbratt
Mar 7, 2012, 02:12 PM
Downloading as we speak.

Looks like their is a updated AT&T network indicator.

nickn
Also, lots of new things are fixed in 5.1, not just Japanese support.

YMark
Yup except for support for the new iPad and Siri Japan there is nothing more in iOS 5.1 for current users.

You don't know that, why even write this BS.

txr0ckabilly
Mar 7, 2012, 02:13 PM
Really? I click check for updates and it tells me the iPhone update server cannot be found. I click restore, resource not available. How are you getting it?

mines updating now too (iPhone). settings>general>software update.

YMark
Installing as I type this.

Release notes say battery life issues fixed, and Genius Mixes and Genius Playlists available for iTunes Match.

No mention of fixing the crippling Invalid SIM bug though :(

Where did you find the release notes?

ghostface147
mines updating now too (iPhone). settings>general>software update.

I am running 5.1 beta 3 and that doesn't apply to me.

DJHonda84
Mar 7, 2012, 02:15 PM
If you look at the diagnostic logs, the crashes are always attributed to a lack of RAM. it may never get fixed. Even if it does, in the mean time, I would recommend using the Atomic Web Browser. It very rarely crashes for me, and has far more features then even the desktop version of safari. The frustrating issue of all of the tabs frequently reloading in safari is also not a problem with Atomic Web.

Thanks for the tip!

I guess the iPad doesn't use virtual memory, like desktop systems do?

stephen1108
Mar 7, 2012, 02:17 PM
Downloading now! the camera lockscreen IS present.

woj027
Mar 7, 2012, 02:17 PM

parish
Mar 7, 2012, 02:19 PM
Where did you find the release notes?

Click Learn More on the update screen (I'm updating wirelessly on my phone, not via iTunes)

EDIT: Just seen WOJ027 has posted a screenshot ^^

kjs862
Mar 7, 2012, 02:20 PM
I was able to download the update via my iPhone's software update, but not iTunes.

----------

Photos can now be deleted in Photostream, yes!

TheOriginalKi
Mar 7, 2012, 02:20 PM
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
Redesigned Camera app for iPad
Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
Audio for TV programmes and films on iPad optimised to sound louder and clearer
Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30-second rewind for iPad
Addresses bugs affecting battery life
Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

newagemac
Mar 7, 2012, 02:21 PM
Genius Mixes and Genius Playlists finally available with iTunes Match on 5.1!

coelacanth
Mar 7, 2012, 02:22 PM
iOS 5.1 for iPad, iPhone and iTunes 10.6 all downloading right now...

parish
Just had an Invalid SIM error whilst updating. Let's hope that's the last one I ever see.

ed724
\

AppleMad98004
Mar 7, 2012, 02:24 PM
You don't know that, why even write this BS.

I guess I should have clarified new "features".... Bug fixes yes. And I said that because I'm running the test beta.

QuarterSwede
Mar 7, 2012, 02:26 PM
Adding a little color to the thread. Took me a few tries to get it to show up.

parish
Mar 7, 2012, 02:27 PM
What battery issue. There is no battery issue. There's something wrong with your setup, do a full reload and don't do a restore. There's something in your old setup messing up your battery life.

Apple's Release Notes for 5.1 disagree with that statement.

milo
Mar 7, 2012, 02:29 PM
Genius Mixes and Genius Playlists finally available with iTunes Match on 5.1!

It's about freaking time. Let's hope there's more, like smart playlists with numeric limits actually using those limits. And Smart playlists being able to refer to other smart playlists.

Where did you find the 10.6 download? Not on apple's website yet and I don't get it in Software Update or by checking in iTunes.

I guess I should have clarified new "features".... Bug fixes yes. And I said that because I'm running the test beta.

Which is still wrong considering there are new features listed in the release notes.

woj027
Mar 7, 2012, 02:32 PM
downloading complete....

got an error that I wasn't connected to power supply and battery is under 50%

Have to wait.

ghostface147
Mar 7, 2012, 02:33 PM
It must be an OTA thing for right now. Oh well.

coelacanth
Mar 7, 2012, 02:34 PM
I think it's slowly pushed out to servers. I got it from Software Update on Lion. Once download started, it went pretty quickly.

iOS updates are almost done though download took quite long. iPhone 4S rebooting. :)

It's about freaking time. Let's hope there's more, like smart playlists with numeric limits actually using those limits. And Smart playlists being able to refer to other smart playlists.

Where did you find the 10.6 download? Not on apple's website yet and I don't get it in Software Update or by checking in iTunes.

Which is still wrong considering there are new features listed in the release notes.

Kaibelf
Mar 7, 2012, 02:34 PM
If you click on Check For Update or Restore in iTunes, it now says the server cannot be reached. They must be ready to roll out 5.1 soon.

My iTunes is unable to update, but doing the delta update on the device directly seems to be working. 4 min download!

WeegieMac
Mar 7, 2012, 02:36 PM
5.1 coming down via OTA now ...

richard4339
Mar 7, 2012, 02:36 PM

iTunes 10.6 is out?

Edit: Yep, I see it now. 64 bit installer isn't available yet though.

hollerz
Mar 7, 2012, 02:40 PM
Been waiting for this option for ages :D

Dagless
Mar 7, 2012, 02:44 PM
Nope! iTunes 10.6 doesn't fix the smart playlist bug. It was introduced in iOS5, Apple acknowledge there is a bug but it's still present.

Great. I guess it wasn't high on their to-do list.

Edit: And it still takes a v e r y long time "waiting for items to copy". Even on my just updated iPad. What a flop this is.

milo
Mar 7, 2012, 02:44 PM
iTunes on Apple's website now.

Release notes, hope Match really is improved, finally.

iTunes 10.6 adds the ability to play 1080p HD movies and TV shows from the iTunes Store.

This release also includes many improvements for iTunes Match, including:

• Improved song matching
• Improved album artwork handling, downloading, and display
• Addresses an issue where songs may skip when playing from iCloud

Looks like mac system requirements haven't changed, still supports 10.5.8 and G4.

QuarterSwede
Mar 7, 2012, 02:50 PM
iTunes on Apple's website now.

Release notes, hope Match really is improved, finally.

Looks like mac system requirements haven't changed, still supports 10.5.8 and G4.
Improved artwork handling! I really hope that is true. I haven't had one album that has updated AFTER iCloud uploaded it and then added I artwork.

farleysmaster
Mar 7, 2012, 03:25 PM
I was hoping for location-aware Siri in the UK. Not yet... although I guess it probably didn't need an OS update to enable it...

maconservative
Mar 7, 2012, 04:25 PM
Been waiting for this option for ages :D

This one option alone makes 10.6 worthwhile for me.

:D

parish
Mar 7, 2012, 05:17 PM
Improved artwork handling! I really hope that is true. I haven't had one album that has updated AFTER iCloud uploaded it and then added I artwork.

Well, it doesn't seem to have got any better. I've still got loads of artwork missing on my iPhone despite updating both iOS and iTunes, re-syncing the phone (via USB), running Update iTunes Match and Get Album Artwork in iTunes.

Not impressed :(

Macman45
Mar 7, 2012, 11:27 PM
The one HUGE disappointment with all the hype. I'm happy with my new ipad3 or New iPad, or whatever they call it (It comes up on my order confirmation as iPad third generation FWIW) But siri still crippled in the UK? Apple managed to get the entire USA on the DB, and they can't manage a little island?

I wonder if there is more to this than we are hearing..Legal issues? Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

The update to 5.1 went well, as well as iTunes, and iPhoto, Garageband Pages et. al. But as for anything new or innovative? Not good enough Apple:mad: