Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
(I'm NOT gonna call it 'The New iPad') anyway, how do they get its extra saturation? is it a mechanical process, or is it an artwork trick? will photos look the same on the iPad 3 as on a computer?

And what exactly does 'Quad-Core Graphics' mean? Quad core CPU?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
(I'm NOT gonna call it 'The New iPad') anyway, how do they get its extra saturation? is it a mechanical process, or is it an artwork trick? will photos look the same on the iPad 3 as on a computer?

Saturation is unrelated to resolution. It is a quad core GPU but a (same??) dual core CPU.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

1) It's the display's color range most likely. Not fully sure on that one.

2) The resolution, pixel density, and saturation will be the same in the photo, if that's what you mean.

3) It means the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is quad-core. the CPU is still dual-core.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Saturation is unrelated to resolution. It is a quad core GPU but a (same??) dual core CPU.

Did I insinuate that resolution and saturation were interrelated?

----------

1) It's the display's color range most likely. Not fully sure on that one.

2) The resolution, pixel density, and saturation will be the same in the photo, if that's what you mean.

3) It means the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is quad-core. the CPU is still dual-core.

I can't wait for the teardown by iFixit, I can't wait to see if it has the 6xx GPUs ^_^

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Did I insinuate that resolution and saturation were interrelated?...

Sorry I misunderstood. Color saturation is more related to software since most current LCD's can show saturation levels well beyond realistic. Now increasing the color space with higher gamma value would/could be an improvement.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Did I insinuate that resolution and saturation were interrelated?

----------

I can't wait for the teardown by iFixit, I can't wait to see if it has the 6xx GPUs ^_^
It most certainly doesn't have any 6xx GPUs. Even one of those would offer 2.5x more power than the SGX543MP4. Hopefully Apple used the SGX554 though.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Sorry I misunderstood. Color saturation is more related to software since most current LCD's can show saturation levels well beyond realistic. Now increasing the color space with higher gamma value would/could be an improvement.

Just watched the keynote and at 1:16 it's stated that the iPad has an enlarged color space (gamut). While useful mostly to photography this would explain the 44% saturation increases claim.;)

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Well I guess that'll depend on the computer and the quality of colors the screen can put out. What computer are you talking about?

Any standard computer, not a specific one, i'm basically wondering if it's just the display being awesome making these images look better, or if these images have been optimized themselves, and if it's happening at the image level, it should look the same across all devices.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Any standard computer, not a specific one, i'm basically wondering if it's just the display being awesome making these images look better, or if these images have been optimized themselves, and if it's happening at the image level, it should look the same across all devices.

A matter screen will not look the same as glossy screen in terms of colors and saturation. A glass panel screen with not look the same as the alternatives, etc. There are too many variables to know how the iPad will compare with whatever you have in mind.

Put it this way, the iPad will look amazing. Remember the keynote, Apple claims with the resolution being so high, colors and detail will pop-out and you will see the image like never before.

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

There's really no "standard" when it comes to displays on a computer. It can vary widely depending on the monitor. Basically, yes, it's the display.
Granted, you could calibrate your monitor for image consistency across devices, but that would still depend on the display itself. Not all displays are created equal. Hope that helps answer your question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.