PDA

View Full Version : new iPad vs 11 macbook air

tim100
Mar 7, 2012, 05:55 PM
how many prospective 11 macbook air buyers are picking up a new iPad instead? I would assume many 11 inch macbook air buyers use it as a 2nd machine will a retina iPad will that change your mind?

$MacUser$
Mar 7, 2012, 05:59 PM
how many prospective 11 macbook air buyers are picking up a new iPad instead? I would assume many 11 inch macbook air buyers use it as a 2nd machine will a retina iPad will that change your mind?

Seriously, there are like umpteen hundred threads comparing the air and iPad. Having handled the latest generation it's certainly a solid refresh, but not a desktop replacement. Think iPhone 4 vs iPhone 4s if we're comparing gen 2 to gen 3.

Here's a comparison I wrote a while back that might help: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1297074

Again, the new iPad 3 is not a desktop replacement, and I don't see that happening for at least a few generations.

iAppl3Fan
Mar 7, 2012, 06:37 PM
Just get both. An iPad will never be able to replace a fully functional laptop.

HappyDude20
Mar 7, 2012, 08:04 PM

I agree, but as a college student can't help but want to use my iPad for everything.

I just ordered the new iPad to replace my 1st gen iPad, selling it for $300.

I can all but guarantee that my MacBook Pro will rest on my desk in my dorm for most of the time, with the occasional essay to type.

iAppl3Fan
Mar 7, 2012, 09:53 PM
I agree, but as a college student can't help but want to use my iPad for everything.

I can all but guarantee that my MacBook Pro will rest on my desk in my dorm for most of the time, with the occasional essay to type.

You're right. For me, the only real advantage an iPad has over a MBA is the battery life. Of course the iPad is great as a ebook reader. Other than that I always feel restricted using an iPad.

normwood
Mar 7, 2012, 10:22 PM
Just bought an 11" Air and sold my original iPad. My primary use is/was internet browsing and email and such.

I am a touch typist. The air is much easier, faster and more accurate to type on than the iPad ever was.

iPad was great....but I'm loving the Air and not looking back.

Now....come out with an iPad mini....and I might be tempted to add one to the mix.

Steve

glen e
Mar 7, 2012, 10:31 PM
MBA if you can only have one
iPad if you travel or need portability

But they don't compete....

KylePowers
Mar 7, 2012, 10:33 PM
11in MBA beats an iPad hands down. I sold my iPad 2 and put the money toward an 11in MBA. Awesome decision!

But I might move up to a 13in MBA and spring for a 2012 iPad. It's totally unnecessary, but I sort of miss the silly iPad games.

But between an iPhones 4s and an MBA, it's really, really hard to justify an iPad.

But darn do I want one! :p

roofz
Mar 7, 2012, 11:59 PM

If you're in a non-science/non-math related major, i think you'll be bringing your MBP to class a lot to take notes. The iPad doesn't suffice for taking notes in class.

SoldOnApple
Mar 8, 2012, 12:36 AM

Also, you double your battery time by owning both.

jojoba
Mar 8, 2012, 01:10 AM
I bought an Ipad and a mba 13". The iPad takes care of all my day to day portability needs. I prefer it to an mba 11" for daily use on the go due to the combination of stylus input/ touch screen/ 3G/ long battery life. I have a LogiTech key board for my Ipad which doubles as a case, so I also use it extensively for note taking and it functions as my virtual notebook. My iPad also carries my entire research library. I prefer to deal with all my pdfs on my iPad because I can highlight and annotate using a stylus, and I find it more comfortable to read on than a laptop/netbook.

However, as many others have said the iPad isn´t a laptop replacement. I bought a mba 13" which I use for more complex content creation and which I take with me if I go on travels for more than a night or two. I need that to get more ´proper´work done. At the same time, I still consider my mba 13" extremely portable since it is so light.

I love both of them and they complement each other well. If I could only afford one of them, I would have bought a mba only.