PDA

View Full Version : MBP for MBA. Good Idea?

knutcaze
Mar 7, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hey guys,

I'm going off to university soon, and I've decided to trade my Macbook Pro for a Macbook air, because I really need a lighter machine. There is someone willing to trade his Macbook air for my Pro, but I don't know if it's a good idea.

My macbook pro is the mid-2010, 13" one. 2.4 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM.

His macbook air is the 2010, 11" one, 1.4 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, but with a 180Gb OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express SSD (I heard this runs really fast?)

I don't edit videos, music nor photos, nor do I play games. The most intensive task that I do on my computer is probably watching movies (and I don't even do it that much, maybe once every two weeks). However, I do need a lighter computer, as I have back problems that restrict how heavy my backpack should be, and thus carry everything (textbooks, computer etc) with my hands.

I was wondering if this is a good trade? I'm hoping that the speed due to lack in RAM can be offset by the fast SSD.

Thanks

adnbek
Mar 7, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hey guys,

I'm going off to university soon, and I've decided to trade my Macbook Pro for a Macbook air, because I really need a lighter machine. There is someone willing to trade his Macbook air for my Pro, but I don't know if it's a good idea.

My macbook pro is the mid-2010, 13" one. 2.4 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM.

His macbook air is the 2010, 11" one, 1.4 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, but with a 180Gb OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express SSD (I heard this runs really fast?)

I don't edit videos, music nor photos, nor do I play games. The most intensive task that I do on my computer is probably watching movies (and I don't even do it that much, maybe once every two weeks). However, I do need a lighter computer, as I have back problems that restrict how heavy my backpack should be, and thus carry everything (textbooks, computer etc) with my hands.

I was wondering if this is a good trade? I'm hoping that the speed due to lack in RAM can be offset by the fast SSD.

Thanks

Sounds like a good trade EXCEPT it sounds fishy that it has a custom SSD on it. I thought you couldn't replace the SSD on the Air because it's soldered directly on the board. I could be wrong but this is the first time I hear of the Air's SSD being replaced with another one.

Bear
Mar 7, 2012, 07:16 PM
Sounds like a good trade EXCEPT it sounds fishy that it has a custom SSD on it. I thought you couldn't replace the SSD on the Air because it's soldered directly on the board. I could be wrong but this is the first time I hear of the Air's SSD being replaced with another one.The SSD is replaceable. The ram in an Air is not.

ThanksYou haven't said what you would be running. 2GB is actually somewhat limiting. And of course the processor in the Air is slower. So I can't really answer your question, I can only give you questions to think about.

knutcaze
Mar 7, 2012, 07:33 PM
The SSD is replaceable. The ram in an Air is not.

You haven't said what you would be running. 2GB is actually somewhat limiting. And of course the processor in the Air is slower. So I can't really answer your question, I can only give you questions to think about.

I would be running Word, Excel, Skype, Chrome and the occasional VLC and iTunes.

chayes
Mar 7, 2012, 08:18 PM
I don't think this is that great of a deal.

IMO you should just upgrade you drive to an ssd if you want startup speed. A cheap 60 gb should work. If you don't use you optical drive then I would install the second drive in the optibay.

This seems like the best solution for you.

upbraid
Mar 7, 2012, 08:23 PM
I don't think this is that great of a deal.

IMO you should just upgrade you drive to an ssd if you want startup speed. A cheap 60 gb should work. If you don't use you optical drive then I would install the second drive in the optibay.

This seems like the best solution for you.

this sounds the best but OP also stated he has back problems and wants a light computer.

regarding the trade, it looks rather fair BUT your macbook can be upgraded with regards to ram while the air can't. so 2 gig might be enough for now but later down the road it could be an issue. i would say no to this trade.

if you can, add some cash to your mpb for one of the newer airs (core i5, 4gig ram)

Hawkeye16
Mar 7, 2012, 08:49 PM
Yeah, that extra pound really makes a difference on your back... or your arms. :roll eyes:

I do not think it is a good deal.

Rizvi1
Mar 8, 2012, 02:00 PM
I don't know about the 2010 MacBook Air but we have had whatever the latest MacBook Air that was available in April 2009 and it has been slow garbage. About to grab a new 2011 MacBook Air i5 and sell our old C2D one. I think the C2D would work a lot better with an SSD in it though.

Xikum
Mar 8, 2012, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't do it. Keep your MBP, my 5 foot 2 girlfriend manages to carry one around+a bagful of books. Im sure you can do it too if she can.

Instead, buy a proper backpack with support and padding on the shoulder straps.

TheRealDamager
Mar 8, 2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah, that extra pound really makes a difference on your back... or your arms. :roll eyes:

I do not think it is a good deal.

It makes a big difference to me and a lot of others.

prvt.donut
Mar 8, 2012, 04:58 PM
Whats the Applecare status on both machines?

As far as a trade, I think it's fair if it has an upgraded SSD, 2GB RAM is fine. These pansies in here think you can't do anything on your Mac if less than 4GB, but for general usage, it is a great machine. My wife has the 2010 11" 1.4Ghz MBA 2GB, 128GB SSD and does all her MS office work on it, she also runs 2X client and will usually have over 10 webpages open for her work and the machine is always fast and responsive.

I have the 2011 13" with 4GB ram and 256GB SSD. I don't really notice the difference.

Also, the weight difference of the 11" MBA and Macbook Pro is insane! :eek:

Look at prices that the MBA sell for and what you can get for your machine. if they are equal, and you want to do it, then do it.

If you can get more, see if you can get the i5 model...

The backlight keyboard is great for typing in the evening!:D

anirudh
Mar 8, 2012, 09:23 PM
Agree with most here. A MBP to an MBA is a great transition. Lightweight, svelte looks, blazing performance. But the only 2010 model I would consider is the 2.13, 4gb, 256gig Ultimate model. 2gigs of RAM simply isnt enough. You might want to run windows later on, you might feel like dipping your toes into RAM/ processor intensive tasks, and the MBA you mentioned will severely limit you. AT THE LEAST, go for the i5, 4, 128, 11" model.

adnbek
Mar 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
The SSD is replaceable. The ram in an Air is not.

Ah yes, my bad. Got them mixed up.