Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Horsegoer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Ok I am trying to sell/ trade my 2008 MBP 17" to get the latest 13" MBA. Should I consider a refurb MBA? What is the downside of getting a refurb? I Just always assumed is was a lot more likely that something would go wrong and they would not run a smooth as a new one? Any advice would help. Thanks

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
I think a refurb or open box is a perfectly fine way to go. I was worried about the same but after several experiences they have been nothing but good.

You do always have the piece of mind that the full original warranty exists and you can still buy applecare on it if you are still worried as well.

Saves money for sure. For the sale trade check out the Best Buy trade in program. Depending on specs they overprice some systems. They gave me $512 for my 2006/2007 C2D 15" MBP with 1GB ram.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Refurbs are a good deal, and they are not more likely to break down, they are even less likely to break down, as Apple has to test the hardware before selling it again.

MacRumors Guides: Apple Refurbished Store

Apple Certified Refurbished Products
1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?
Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:
is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system.
is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.​

If you want more information, here are just a few of many threads on this topic:
Refurbished MBP or New?
Getting an iMac - New or Refurbished?
Refurbished vs new
HELP: Refurbished 17" or New High End 15"?!
Are Refurbished Macs as high quality their new counterparts?
Do refurbished fail more often than new MBP's?
New MPB or refurbished model?

search results by GGJstudios

hbtd

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2011
I have an 11'' 2011 MBA refurb. They tend to be better that new since they go through a second inspection. Stuff has been fixed.

phatjoe

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
IL
First let me start by saying I've had a very good run with apple products. 10+ years with no issue. I purchased a refurb MBA and it pretty much died after 11 months. Thank goodness hardware is covered for 1 year. I just dropped it off for the logic board to be replaced.

I'm sure this is just an unlucky case...even so I'd still purchase a refurb again ;)

Horsegoer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks...where is the best place to buy a refurb? Does Apple sell them?

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
Thanks...where is the best place to buy a refurb? Does Apple sell them?

Best Buy stores also sell them as "Open Box", which is less of a refurb and more of a return (within the 30 day window of returns). They tend to be cheaper than Apple refurbs, but most likely do not have as extensive of second inspection. Just a restore of the software and quick look over.

disq

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
London
I recently got my refurbished 11" Air (Ultimate) from Apple. It was in mint condition (the body was wrapped in plastic just like a non-refurb one and everything) and when I checked with system info, battery cycle count was at 1. So it wasn't even used or at least plugged in.

I also checked the LCD and the SSD, they were both Samsung, so I guess I was lucky as well.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ok I am trying to sell/ trade my 2008 MBP 17" to get the latest 13" MBA. Should I consider a refurb MBA? What is the downside of getting a refurb? I Just always assumed is was a lot more likely that something would go wrong and they would not run a smooth as a new one? Any advice would help. Thanks

Yes, refurbs are excellent; they have been individually tested, they come with the same Apple's warranties/guarantees as a 'new' computer, and they are a bit less expensive. Good luck in your hunt.

I recently got my refurbished 11" Air (Ultimate) from Apple. It was in mint condition (the body was wrapped in plastic just like a non-refurb one and everything) and when I checked with system info, battery cycle count was at 1. So it wasn't even used or at least plugged in.

I also checked the LCD and the SSD, they were both Samsung, so I guess I was lucky as well.

Well done; good for you. Let us know how it turns out - I'm interested in an 11" Ultimate for myself at some stage.

Cheers

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
If you know what certified pre-owned vehicles are at the dealership, they are a lot like that.

Basically, as mentioned above, they go through stringent Apple inspection and tests before going out to the market.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.